Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instead of worrying about too many Jeeps, Divide up into 2 or 3 smaller groups with each having a trail boss and meeting up in camp at night. Each group would then be responsible for it's own members.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

• Originally posted by igofshn
      Instead of worrying about too many Jeeps, Divide up into 2 or 3 smaller groups with each having a trail boss and meeting up in camp at night. Each group would then be responsible for it's own members.
      Are you going now?
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

• Originally posted by Dukes69
        Are you going now?
        ??????????????

Comment

• I still might be able to go. If so I'll lead the second group.
          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

• Originally posted by cjdirtbiker
            So, if there's room for another rig on the trail I'd like to join in. My jeep is built!
            Sure what the hell. The more the merrier right?
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

• What's the route you guys normally take? The 99 to the 50, or the 15 to the 395? I mapquested Ice House Road, and this is what it gave me. Didn't realize we'd be driving IN the lake.
              Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeri Lyn
                What's the route you guys normally take? The 99 to the 50, or the 15 to the 395? I mapquested Ice House Road, and this is what it gave me. Didn't realize we'd be driving IN the lake.

Yeah, ummm thats not right. We usually take the 99 or 5 to the 50E to Icehouse Road go north (Left) till you see the "resort" The 15 to 395 might be easier for you since you're already on the 15. Hopefully sarah or rick chimes in. They go thet route when the head that way.
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

• I was told by sarah the best route for me will be 395. Of course no matter what I try as starting locations MapQuest insists I take I5. Looks like I need to just get some goold old fashion maps

For those that have been there before, whats the temp like up there? I did a search for Lake Tahoe and found lows in the 40s highs in the 70s for July.
                  Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

• You bet - 395 rocks. I can't find a good map right now, but check out a map of Markleeville, [yahoo]96120[/yahoo] for the idea. You will go right through there ... It looks like 395 to 89 to 50. You can also come up the backside of Icehouse road, I have the coordinate for it somehwere. Also be sure you have a map for the forest there, because taking the wrong turn can lead to miserable delays.

If you'd like to dump off your doors, head up to Tahoe and stop at the first campground you see. Talk to the owner and offer him/her a few bucks. We tried that last year and it worked! Driving back up to Icehouse after the trail will take alot of extra time. In fact, for the skyrocketing price of Icehouse the past couple of years, Rick and I swore that next time we went we would stay in Tahoe and drive up to the trail in the morning. Rick can tell you the name of the place we found last year.

395 is definitely the scenic route, so make sure your passenger has a camera ready. Also, as you can see, the roads are rather windy (windy too) and "less traveled," so I would recommend taking along a really good map and compass and/or a GPS.

In conclusion, after traveling up the 5 (or whichever road goes thru the central plains) the first year, we found that the route mentioned here was actually faster, about 1/2 as hot, and waaaaay more scenice.

WEATHER: Warm days and cool nights. Probably the most comfortable sleeping temps ever!
                    Last edited by sarah; 06-23-05, 09:05 AM.
                    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

• Ok, I have some basic questions I was going to pester everyone with on the AAT run, but since my tranny decided it liked revving up to 4,500 rpm in second gear, I'll post them here:

1. Dry ice- Never used it. How much for a large cooler and can I plan on it lasting all three and a half days?

2. Fire restrictions on the Rubicon- I have a small tabletop bbq (charcoal, not propane) and was thinking of bringing it and wood for a ready made campfire. Is that ok?

I know I had more, but it's past my bedtime.
                      Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

• So who is up for meeting at the flying J early thursday morning? I think we will take the 99? Anyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeri Lyn
                          Ok, I have some basic questions I was going to pester everyone with on the AAT run, but since my tranny decided it liked revving up to 4,500 rpm in second gear, I'll post them here:

1. Dry ice- Never used it. How much for a large cooler and can I plan on it lasting all three and a half days?

2. Fire restrictions on the Rubicon- I have a small tabletop bbq (charcoal, not propane) and was thinking of bringing it and wood for a ready made campfire. Is that ok?

I know I had more, but it's past my bedtime.
                          1. Just get a 5 day ice chest. They work great. Freeze your drinking water, that will help retain ice. I had plenty of ice left after both my trips over the con.

2. Remember you are packing everything with you. Weight is a killer. Bringing wood with you is not a good idea. The more weight you carry, the harder the trip will be.

This trail is like nothing most have been on. It isn't the hardest, but there are not any breaks between obsticles. It is rock after rock. People compare john bull to this. They are crazy. It isn't even close. Your jeep will be flexed like never before. Pack like you are back packing. Easy meals and a combination stove/grill works great.

Comment

• I haven't posted in a while, but am still in- pending the Jeep makes the drive out.

I'm going to be giving it the workout of its 10 year life. I decided to play masochist and drove it from Denver to OH to visit family for fun.

Anyway, I am leaving in the morning for Denver and will pick up my bike and tow it to San Jose. About 2700 miles total in a Jeep that is NOT a speed demon! 1600 of it will be towing an extra 700 lbs.

However, I am confident the Little Jeep that Could CAN and WILL make it! I will be very thankful for the 55mph speed limit once I get in CA so won't have to worry about getting run over.
                            '95 YJ 4 banging powerhouse.
                            www.longtallsally.50megs.com

Comment

• Originally posted by igofshn
                              This trail is like nothing most have been on. It isn't the hardest, but there are not any breaks between obsticles. It is rock after rock. People compare john bull to this. They are crazy. It isn't even close. Your jeep will be flexed like never before. Pack like you are back packing. Easy meals and a combination stove/grill works great.

Agreed! The only place it is similar with John Bull is the little rock garden at the begining, but on a bigger scale. The whole trail is nowhere near john bull. Thats all I can think of.
                              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

• Would it be better to compare it to the rock garden at the end of Holcomb just a whole lot longer?
                                Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Working...
                                X