X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are welcome Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
      Art, you are a wealth of knowledge and experience, I'm glad that you look at and respond to posts like these by rednecks like me
      Here, here! :beer:
      holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
        Not good. Got a picture of the box? that shows where the adjustments are at?
        it's uploading now, but here's some higher quality video of the steering box, I can take some photos if the video doesn't show it well enough.

I suppose I should just open up the box, and see if stuff looks worn down.

http://youtu.be/aoGzfNmI8MQ
        Last edited by daniel_buck; 06-23-13, 01:45 PM.
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
        www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

That's good enough. By the looks of it the sector shaft moves in and out, this because where the adjustment screw attaches to the sector shaft it should have some sort of trust bearing which is gone. If I were you I would look around for a rebuilt or new one. Lots of WW2 parts floating around for Jeeps. The roller that runs in the input shaft/worm, wears out the worm/ inputshaft. If the worm looks good try to find the trust bearing for the sector shaft

Comment

Hey, on the tie rod flip. I welded up the holes and re-drilled the taper when I flipped a set of knuckles I had. I have the tapered reamer for the tie rod end if you need it. Or you can get the tapered inserts. Like Art said, should reduce the bump steer.

Comment

Daniel,
              Walk's and a couple other sites sell a repair kit for that steering gear box. There is also an improved sector shaft adjuster made for that box as well.

Here are some links...
              http://walcks4wd.com/tight-steer-sec...ry-models.html

http://walcks4wd.com/steering-group.html?p=2
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

We would put GM saginaw (manual) boxes in the old CJ2A's back when. And when we did V8 engines we went with power boxes. But you might want to think about this if there is a weight difference in the diesel engine.
                IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Thanks to Tom for coming by, I kept him from his grocery and hardware store run, but we had a good time working on the jeep I think

Here's photos of the old and new sector shaft, old shaft on the left, new on the right. The old is worn for sure, but not sure how much wear is normal and what is excessive. Just curious, it seems very good with the new shaft. Getting the shaft in with the sleeves was tricky, it took a while, but it's in there now.

And there is very little play in the steering wheel, and it's alot more firm than before. It may loosen up a bit, but I think it's probably good. At first we were thinking the steering wheel was to difficult to turn, until I sat down in the driver seat and turned it like I was driving it, and it doesn't feel that bad at all.

And here's a video of the worm gear. It looked smooth while I was filming it, but after looking at the footage, I see some areas that are obviously fresh worn that fade in and out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lA1L...ature=youtu.be

[COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

Made alot of good progress yesterday! Monday I picked up the transmission from Herb, a real nice old school mechanic (probably older than my father!). My neighbor & landlord (who is an old hotrodder) helped me get the engine and transmission in. All in all, it fits pretty good. I did have to cut a hole in the fire wall, probably to large of a hole, but it gave us some wiggle room. I'll cover it up with an "access panel" later, haha!

I've still got some welding to do on the motor mounts, then I'll start running the fuel lines, brake lines, and start putting everything back together again.

Comment

WOW. Lotta work going on over there. Looks real nice so far. When is the big day planned?
                      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

soon I hope!!

Comment

It is really coming together. I can't wait to see this running!

Comment

Me too! I'm going crazy wanting to drive it, and it's only been a few months.

Comment

Most people saw pictures of a Jeep build. I saw a picture of DFH 60 minute IPA. Now I'm thirsty.
                              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

they go hand in hand

Comment

Working...
                                X