Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today on the way home from work I noticed a hollow sounding screaching/whirring coming from what i think is the transmission. It could maybe be from the engine compartment, but from the drivers seat it sounds like it's right below me.

Happens in any gear or in neutral, clutch in or out, transfer case high low or neutral, overdrive engaged or disengaged. Jeep rolling, or stopped. Any combination I do, it's still there with almost no change.

When I rev the engine and hold it reved up a bit (1500+rpm), I can hear the noise. It's not loud, but it definitely was NOT there before. The noise is not present when coasting or slowing down. Only when the throttle is applied, and it seems that the higher I rev up the engine, the louder it is. Doesn't seem to be there at idle, although it may just be drowned out at idle, not sure.

The transmission hasn't been dripping oil, so I don't think it's low, but I'm going to check it tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow I'm going to pop the hood open, and rev the engine by hand and see if it sounds like it's coming from the engine bay, or not.

Any ideas? Transmission is factory spec T90, transfer case is factory spec D18, overdrive is Saturn.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

• Well, good news! It was making the noise again this evening on the way home, so as soon as I got home, I popped the hood and revved the engine a few times. it's DEFINITELY coming from the front of the engine. I can't quite tell if it's from the alternator, water pump, or crank pulley, but I'm 100% positive it's not coming from the back of the motor or transmission.

And with the hood open, it's quite distinct, I'll see if I can get a video clip of it.
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

• Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
        Well, good news! It was making the noise again this evening on the way home, so as soon as I got home, I popped the hood and revved the engine a few times. it's DEFINITELY coming from the front of the engine. I can't quite tell if it's from the alternator, water pump, or crank pulley, but I'm 100% positive it's not coming from the back of the motor or transmission.

And with the hood open, it's quite distinct, I'll see if I can get a video clip of it.
        Take the fan belts off, start engine noise is gone then it's one of the belt driven accessories

Comment

• Check your idler pulley. Your description is identical to what I'm getting. It screams when it's cold and practically goes away at idle. I pulled the seal on the bearing to confirm and it's shot.
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

• Idlers are easy to diagnose if it spins real easy with the belt off it's done, meaning the grease is gone and the bearing is going oput a good idler has a very slight drag on the bearings

Comment

• My engine doesn't have an idler, just a crank pulley, water pulley, and alternator. The sliding bracket on the alternator provides the tension. I guess it's either the waterpump, or the alternator. Picked up a $9 stethoscope from the auto-parts store, that should pinpoint it easily.

The fan is electric BTW, so there's no fan clutch or anything.

Comment

• Well, it appears that I've possibly solved the problem. With the stethoscope it was very obvious that the noise was coming from the alternator.

The belt was a little loose, so I loosened the alternator and slid it back a bit more, and tightened it down, the belt has more tension now, and the nose appears to have gone away. I'll keep an eye on the alternator though, incase it did receive damage.

Looks like it might have been as simple as a loose belt. Dang that makes me feel good :-D

Comment

• Yep, that was the problem, just a loose belt, haha! I'm an idiot :oops:

I guess the question is, might the alternator have sustained any damage while it was screeching for a few days? It still seems to be charging just like normal, and doesn't make any bad noises.

And, I put the shifter cover on, and covered up the master cylinder access hole in the tub, and it sure did quiet down the motor! I can actually hear the lovely straight-cut gears in the transmission again! I still have a large hole in the firewall to cover up that I cut when installing the motor, I'll get to that soon.

It used to be louder IN the jeep than it was standing next to the jeep, now it's quieter in the jeep than outside. haha! On the down side, now that the diesel sound is alot more muffled, I hear another small rattle/vibration or two LOL but I'll work on tracking them down.

Comment

• The alternator would be fine. Glad it was simple. The problem with fixing any noise is uncovering the noise just below it
                    God forgives, rocks don't
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

• Yea, I'm so used to having a belt tensioner on all the other vehicles I've owned, I never had to adjust for the belt stretching over time. Now I know :-)

Finally, got most of the intake finished. I thought about it for a while, then decided I wanted the canister on the back of the fender. Fits real nice! And the engine is suprisingly alot quieter now. I'm kind of shocked at how quiet this thing is, compared to how it used to be with no intake, and huge holes in the floor and firewall, and before almost all of the vibrations/rattles were taken care of.

Drilling the hole was interesting because I couldn't drill is straight on, I was at something like a 15 degree angle to the metal, but it wasn't to bad. it's a very tight fit, which I like. Used a 2 1/8" hole saw, and then filed it out just slightly and it's a snug fit.

I will probably paint the canister OD green.

And I need to decide on what type of cap to put on the canister, to keep rain water from coming in. The simplest would be a 90 degree bend and then a tractor "mushroom" cap, but we'll see. I'm gonna start looking around the internet to see what options there are. I MAY make a shield for it to block any potential spray from rain water that may billow out of the fender, but since it doesn't rain here very often, I won't do that just yet.

Last edited by daniel_buck; 02-08-14, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• looking real good man!

Comment

• Make a snorkel to attach to the canister. It doesn't necessarily have to be water tight; in this part of the country we are in a drought.
                          If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                          KI6MLU

Comment

• Looking good! I couldn't see any wastegate on your turbo, how are you controlling boost pressure? I am starting to gather parts to turbo Opy.

PS I like Russ' snorkel idea!

Comment

• The waste gate is internal, the blanket covers up most of the actuator. And since there is no throttle blade, a BOV isn't needed.

Turbo Opy eh? Nice! :-D

Comment

• Ah, I see. What turbo is it? Is the internal waste gate adjustable? I don't know much about the blow off valves yet (turbo systems in general), just starting to research it but it has always been something I have wanted to mess with.

Comment

Working...
                                X