Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Big Bear June 9th

Who's up for Big Bear on June 9th?

Big Bear fest is the following weekend (I'm going to that too), I'll be staying up there with the family the weekend of the 9th. So far looking at doing Gold Mountain. Hopefully another if there's time.

Rules:
    ** NO DRINKING on the trail
    Spare within 2" of tire size
    Jack
    Seat belts
    Recovery points front/rear

Encouraged/Advised equipment:
    - Fire extinguisher
    - Recovery strap
    - Plenty of water
    - Lunch, snacks
    - CB Radio
    - Air compressor/air down tools
    - First aid kit

Where: Meet at the Big Bear Discovery Center
    Time: 9:00 AM
    CB Channel: 27

Going:
    Suicideking - Rick - Golden Bear Cabin
    949OC (WF)
    Gary
    BlackORifle
    thebowlins
    Randog - Randy
    DjA (WF) +1
    2rustbuckets - Jon - Serrano Campground #123
    Skysthelimit - George - Serrano Campground #123
    Jk08 - Bay Meadows resort
    Chip
    novabrian72
    Marinelj - Brandon - Hanna Flats 088
    Quantumracer - Dan and Jacque. Dogs: yellow lab, Jake; black lab, Cody; golden retriever, Hunter- Hanna Flats 078
    IBclimbin
    wicked xj
    toycrawler5481
    Last edited by suicideking; 06-04-12, 10:12 PM.

Count me in! Any camping going on?

Comment

I'll go.

Comment

Originally posted by SkylarM View Post
        Count me in! Any camping going on?
        Ok cool! I'll add you and Gary!

As far as camping, I'm staying in a cabin with wife and family. I'll post where tonight (wife made the plans and is gone for the day).

Comment

I should be able to do this run and camp out too.

Comment

Originally posted by Black0Rifle View Post
            I should be able to do this run and camp out too.
            Ok cool, I'll add you to the list!

Comment

Have any of you done Gold Mountain before? Someone on Wrangler Forum is asking about the difficulty. I am under the impression that it's one of the easier Big Bear runs, at least compared to some of the others (John Bull, Dishpan, etc).

I will be staying at a cabin that's kind of on the pricey side:
              http://goldenbear.net/big_bear_lake_ca

We can figure out a place to meet when the date gets closer. I know there are lots of campgrounds around.

Comment

Suicideking,
                I got his discription from the IE4W site:

"Gold Mountain

Requirements:Rated-Moderate (Blue), 32" min tires and 1 Locker

Description:Some highway driving will be required. There will be an opportunity to air down at the trail head. Gold Mountain is rated “most difficult” by the Forest Service, and is becoming more difficult with each season. The views of the Big Bear Valley are incredible! After the Gold Mountain trail, you’ll explore the historic Holcomb Valley."

I'm a maybe on this. I'm signed up for the Cerro Gordo run with the CI4W on that same weekend but I'm on a wait list cause it was already full. So.. if that falls thru I run Gold Mountain with you guys. I hope its not too difficult casue my rig still has the paper plates on it.

Comment

hey guys i only have 33's with open diffs but know how to drive! everything else is upgraded! i would love to make this trip because i will finally be home from afghanistan! thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by thebowlins View Post
                    hey guys i only have 33's with open diffs but know how to drive! everything else is upgraded! i would love to make this trip because i will finally be home from afghanistan! thanks guys.
                    From what I've heard, there's only one difficult section that is a rock garden. If you can't make it, we can pull you through! I'll add you to the list.

Comment

Originally posted by thebowlins View Post
                      You'll do fine,I made it with 32"s,stock gear(3.07),and I can't drive fer chit.Welcome Home and to MJR.
                      Dennis and Tammy
                      Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Gold Mountain is 4.4 miles long and for the most part is mildly rough dirt road. The obstacles along the way are what make the trail rated difficult. In most cases, there are several options on the obstacles that you find. You should be able to run the trail in two hours or less. If not, someone broke something expensive. That said, the Gold Mtn obstacles are the roughest that I have seen them (as of last Saturday) if you choose the toughest line. There are still plenty of alternative lines if you are uncomfortable.

You might want to plan on another trail to make the day complete. John Bull (Most Difficult), & Jacoby Canyon (Moderate to Easy) are the two closest trails that are not rated 'easy'.
                        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          Gold Mountain is 4.4 miles long and for the most part is mildly rough dirt road. The obstacles along the way are what make the trail rated difficult. In most cases, there are several options on the obstacles that you find. You should be able to run the trail in two hours or less. If not, someone broke something expensive. That said, the Gold Mtn obstacles are the roughest that I have seen them (as of last Saturday) if you choose the toughest line. There are still plenty of alternative lines if you are uncomfortable.

You might want to plan on another trail to make the day complete. John Bull (Most Difficult), & Jacoby Canyon (Moderate to Easy) are the two closest trails that are not rated 'easy'.
                          Thanks for the info! I would lean towards something moderate like Jacoby. I don't think my skill level is up to John Bull yet from what I've heard about it.

Comment

thanks guys, really looking forward to it i will the lovely wife with me and my boys!

Comment

+1, sounds like a good plan

Comment

Working...
                              X