Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, are we solid on the 12th-15th? can I go ahead and request those dates off?
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

• I think so, but the other question still stands that are those just the trail days, or does that include the drive up to NorCal?

Comment

• good point!
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

• Originally posted by Red rubicon View Post
          That would be a very long day and defeat the purpose of the trip. You really need at least two nights on the trail to really enjoy it. It never lets up so when you get tired you make mistakes and break things. Also the way out to Tahoe after Cadillac Hill is at least 8 more miles of gravel road. I think Buck the first night and then the Springs for a night is the great way to do it.
          From what I gather, minimum time on the trail is two days. I think it would be better 3 days 2 nights on the trail. 1 day on travel up and 1 back, gives us either the 12-16 (thur-mon) or 11-15 (wed-sun). Should someone update the plan to one of those two dates?... probably
          Last edited by Taphorn; 05-10-12, 03:01 PM. Reason: looked at wrong month on calender
          "A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools" -Thucydides

Comment

• hm... that might be pushing it for me, to take 3 week days off, we'll see.

Comment

• I just got the OK that either wednesday-sunday or thursday-monday will work for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by SkylarM View Post
                I just got the OK that either wednesday-sunday or thursday-monday will work for me.
                Thursday -Monday maybe less traffic on the way out to Tahoe.

Comment

• My plan (today) is to drive up Thursday and be at Loon Lake Friday morning. Trail out to S Tahoe Sunday afternoon. Drive home Monday.

This is driving time and mileage that I got from Google Maps, times don't include stops:

Santa Ana to S Tahoe via 395 - 8h 53m - 462 miles
                  S Tahoe to Loon Lake via Ice House - 2h 15m - 70 miles

Santa Ana to Georgetown via I5 - 8h 14m - 475 miles
                  Georgetown to Loon Lake - 1h 40m - 40 miles

Not sure yet if I will drive the jeep up or take the hardtop and doors off and trailer or flat tow it up there. Sure prefer to do the later.

It is a long days driving to get there and back.

Mike
                  "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

• Thursday-Monday sounds dandy
                    "A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools" -Thucydides

Comment

• We started on Monday morning and finished up on Wednesday early afternoon. We had some minor trail repairs to do along the way. I wish we would have spent more time at Rubicon Springs. I would like to join you guys on this trip however I have other plans that weekend.

It should be a good trip.
                      You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

• Here's how we've done the Rubicon in the past, and it works pretty well. Drive to Lake Tahoe first. You can leave your trucks and trailers at the Tahoe Valley Campground. It's near the airport and the intersection of Hwy 89 and 50. . For a small fee you can leave everything there in their overflow area. I'd call first though to make sure they still do that.

That same day drive to Georgetown. It's about 65 miles from Tahoe. You can stay in Georgetown or drive 40 miles to Loon lake and stay at the campground there. It's right near the start of the Rubicon.

At the end of the trip you'd drive up Cadillac Hill back into Tahoe and your trailer. If you move fairly fast you can get back to Tahoe in about 2 hours from Rubicon Springs. Not a big deal.

Another way to do the Rubicon is the way we're doing it this year. We're driving in on the 8th to the springs, then going back the way we came in. Never one it that way. It should be interesting. If you guys are driving in on the 12th, you'll probably see us.

Have a great time. It's a great trail.
                        Ron

Comment

• Baby sitter identified for the 12-16th, now just to fix the switch for my front locker, fix the crack in my skid plate, and swap in the rubicon transfer case and I'll be ready. I'll also might put on a soft top for this long weekend, the hard top took a beating at big bear a few weeks ago and shouldn't go offloading anymore

Comment

• I'll make any of the dates work for me. I live only 20 miles from Tahoe so all I need to know is where everyone is starting from and time of day.

Comment

• Bump. The date will be approaching fast.

Comment

• Anybody still planning on doing this? I've gotten a few PMs that it's not happening...

Comment

Working...
                                X