Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SkylarM View Post
    Anybody still planning on doing this? I've gotten a few PMs that it's not happening...
    Yep, I am still going. My plans are in the post #128 above.

Mike
    "They look Friendly" G. Custer

Comment

• I'm still unsure if I can take that many days off in a row.
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
      www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Deepwater View Post
        Yep, I am still going. My plans are in the post #128 above.

Mike

OK. I'm not familiar with anything north of Ventura, so I won't be anything more than a follower on this run. As far as Post #128, that works for me too. You're just south of me, so if you wanted to caravan up there, I can just meet you along the highway somewhere and swing in behind. I'll be driving the Jeep up unless Gary got a new trailer and has a spot for me (hint hint )

Comment

OK. I'm not familiar with anything north of Ventura, so I won't be anything more than a follower on this run. As far as Post #128, that works for me too. You're just south of me, so if you wanted to caravan up there, I can just meet you along the highway somewhere and swing in behind. I'll be driving the Jeep up unless Gary got a new trailer and has a spot for me (hint hint )
          That sounds fine, we can firm it all up as we get closer. I'm gathering my camping stuff and looking for my porta potti. It is highly frowned upon to dump along the trail.

Mike

Comment

• The wife and I will be driving the jeep up from Ventura. We can make convoy plans later. My jeep is ready to rock, testing the new transfer case at big bear next weekend. Soft top probably won't happen so I'll have to watch the hard top on the trails.
            "A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools" -Thucydides

Comment

Anybody still planning on doing this? I've gotten a few PMs that it's not happening...
              Hi Skyler, I'm still up for the trip and have the time off. Let's see if anyone else is up for it. I'm going to PM a few to see if interest is still there.
              Ever feel like you are the Lunch!

Comment

• It looks like we have at least 3 or 4 people, so we're good. I was just worried that everyone had dropped out. Someone more familiar with the trail and the area will have to take charge of the planning... The internet is my only resource on this one...

Comment

• Hey guys. I just wanted to remind you that there isn't anywhere to leave your trucks and trailors at Loon Lake. It's basically just a campground near the begining of the trail. You can leave stuff in Tahoe at the Tahoe Valley Campground for a small fee. If you go out Cadillac Hill you'll be very close to your trucks that way. Have a great trip.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbearwheeler View Post
                    Hey guys. I just wanted to remind you that there isn't anywhere to leave your trucks and trailors at Loon Lake. It's basically just a campground near the begining of the trail. You can leave stuff in Tahoe at the Tahoe Valley Campground for a small fee. If you go out Cadillac Hill you'll be very close to your trucks that way. Have a great trip.
                    Ron,
                    Thanks for the heads up on that. Another piece of advice I came across:
                    "If any of the guys thinking of going are running stock axles with big
                    tires, I wouldn't recommend that they go. Jeep Rubicons in stock form
                    are ok because they have Dana 44's. I've seen lots of TJs out there
                    with broken axles because some of the obstacles can get you pretty
                    twisted up. And you have to go all the way back to Auburn or Tahoe to
                    get parts."

One of the Rubicon websites listed axles as one of the most broken items on the trail. You must really inspect your ride for loose bolts, fractured brackets, transfer case linkage and etc before going. The trail will expose any weakness really fast.

Mike

Comment

• I just found out today that you can park and leave you trucks and trailers at the Ice House campground. It's not too far away from Loon Lake. I don't know too much more about it but they charge about $7.00 per day. If you want to go that route I'd give them a call first.
                      Ron

Comment

• The Icehouse will let you camp there also. Also the Ranger Station east of the Icehouse will let you park there for free. And the night life at the Icehouse can be something to remember if you can. LOL
                        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

• Icehouse has a big parking lot. There is plenty of room.for trailers and tow rigs. Pay at the store. They also have gas but be ready to bend over...
                          Its a couple of miles to the trail head from there.
                          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• Hey guys, I just returned from the Rubicon a week and a half ago. The trail is in great condition. No snow. Lots of nice water crossings, at most about 2' deep, so no problem with water coming inside the doorless Jeeps. We stayed overnight at an Inn in Placerville the night before and the night after. I drove up there (and back) from SoCal doorless. There are strong winds along the way, which can make for a torturous doorless drive if not properly equipped. I used ear plugs, full head and face windproof coverage, windproof jacket and gloves, and I was very comfortable. We have a friend in Placerville who owns a truck yard, where others in our group stored their doors and hardtop while on the trail.

We camped at Buck Island Lake the first night and Rubicon Springs the second night. We had no problems with bears, however I heard from someone who was at Buck Island Lake a few days after us that their campsite was raided by bears a couple times. There are lots of mosquitoes. The trail from Loon Lake to Buck Island Lake is great wheeling, but you get some nice breaks and easy scenic drives in between some obstacles. From Buck Island Lake through Cadillac Hill is almost constant one thing after another. Awesome wheeling as well. After Cadillac Hill there are only a couple little obstacles before it becomes pretty much a service road. Lots of good spotting needed at many obstacles, particularly at the Big Sluice and Cadillac Hill.

We met a guy at Rubicon Springs named David Beam. He owns a company called BCS Fabrication up at Pollock Pines, and he volunteers every year during the Jeepers Jamboree as a spotter. He's a great guy. He does emergency recovery and trail fixes/welding if needed. You might want to take down his phone number in case you run into trouble on the trail.

BCS Fabrication
                            6441 Agra ST.
                            Pollock Pines, CA 95726
                            530-391-6893

Also, if it will help you, here are some GPS tracks and waypoints for the trail and access roads leading to and from the trail.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1460785

Lastly, here's a video from our trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY72h69AFK8

Have fun and be safe, guys.
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/yoyomondo/videos
                            http://www.everytrail.com/profile.php?user_id=220421

Comment

• Yomondo,
                              Thanks for the great report and the contact! It's a big help.

Awesome job on the video, now I'm really pumped up!

How was the dust on the trail? I really want to leave the top and doors behind but haven't figured out how to do it yet. I don't think that I would survive the trip up and back with them off. Was going to rent a uhaul car trailer but it is really pricey.

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Deepwater View Post
                                Yomondo,
                                Thanks for the great report and the contact! It's a big help.

Awesome job on the video, now I'm really pumped up!

How was the dust on the trail? I really want to leave the top and doors behind but haven't figured out how to do it yet. I don't think that I would survive the trip up and back with them off. Was going to rent a uhaul car trailer but it is really pricey.

Mike
                                Mike just put on your soft top and fold it down for the trail, I'm sure someone in the group with a motor home will accomadate your doors.

Comment

Working...
                                X