Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jason View Post
    I believe glaucoma and high blood pressure go hand in hand. How's the latter?
    Getting stuff in your eyes sometimes just happens. Last year at this time, I was getting into my mother's car and she turned on the A/C and something flew into my eye. Finally the next day the discomfort was so bad, I made an appt w/my Optometrist and was told that I need to go see an Ophthalmologist. WTH???? After some really cool peek in your eye stuff, he dug out a piece o' metal. Had to wear patch for a few days. Try walking around with only one eye working. I found the left side of each doorway I walked through for a day or two.
    The doc also mentioned Glaucoma to me as well so more tests. After one test where you stick your head in a bubble/ball looking thing and hit a button everytime you see a small light, I was asked if I ever had a stroke. WTH???? again. No doc, I had brain surgery remember, I told you that. Oh. That would expain why you have a blind spot in the upper left hand side of your sight.
    Don't tell wife that or that's where the frying pan will come from.

I also need new shop glasses as mine are scratched up and pretty much worthless. You're right, closing my eyes would be about the same.
    Blood pressure was good before she said "I see something unusual here, but it is probably nothing to worry about".

I did the metal in the eye once. Caught a chunk while grinding, I had my glasses on but a piece bounced up and under and landed on my eye. Luckily it didn't go deep. Freaky seeing the opthamologist 's pick coming in to get the metal out.

Damn, Jonah. In true Jeeper fashion. You finish the job, THEN, go to the doc.
    Well, the doc wasn't in the office when I called so I had 45 minutes to kill and the part was prepped...no sense in wasting all that time.

Have been considering buying a face shield. I try to keep my head out of the plane of the wheel, but I still shower my face in sparks on a regular basis. Doesn't help that I've been going without a guard on my grinder lately. Getting hit in the face with disintegrating grinding and cutting wheels is not fun. I've read about an old guy who caught a fragment in the carotid artery (neck), and died. Another bled to death after a shattered wheel severed his femoral artery (leg).

Many years ago I was cleaning an intake manifold with break cleaner (was just dusty) and a bunch came back and hit me in the eyes. They felt like they were on fire! I groped my way out of my garage and was helped to the sink of a neighbor to wash my eyes out. I knew better, but that incident really drove the point home to wear safety glasses. Now that I think about it, a few years prior to that I'd been cleaning a machine as it was running with a carb cleaner-soaked rag. Rag got caught in a belt and pulley, which squeezed the B-12 right out and flung it into my eyes. Good times!
    Yeah, I always try to keep the body out of the plane of that wheel but... I hate running with the guard on but after those stories I might live with it (pardon the pun).

I think I am going to start a dumb stuff you have done to yourself in the shop thread.

Comment

• Shop accident thread started in off-topic:

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...976#post213976

Comment

• Getting back to it finally....

Got my Town&Country dual fans in.

Very close in here.

Fan mount

Fan controller, this is an adjustable type with a dry temp sensor that sticks in the radiator fins. I am a little skeptical but the guy at the speed shop says people like them. If it doesn't work well I will add a normal temp switch in the manifold.

Blue torch fab diff cover with truss support. I think I am going to have to change my gas tank or the top will hit. But I am going to get it welded up and see how close it is. My plan is to truss the M20 and add a traction bar to help with my spring wrap. But if I have to change my gas tank it might take me a while. Also, I got my mig bottle refilled, came home and my welder was acting strange. The arc was jumping around and I couldn't get consistent arc and it was welding cold. Turns out they filled my bottle with 100% argon, made for some rough welding. Got back to AG/CO2 mix and all is well.

Also adding closed loop system on the Holley Projection unit and bought some EMPI seats and 5 point harnesses...

Comment

• very nice!

Comment

• A little progress.

Got the headers painted, wrapped and installed. Had to do a little modification to clear the front driveshaft. I really should have washed this thing before starting.

My new seats and belts, have to return the belts as the shoulder straps go to one mount and it is too short to mount correctly.

One decent looking weld (for me)

The rest, so so but I finished welding it up inside and out. Now for the truss.

Comment

• That cover has more metal in it than the entire axle! Hows it coming along?
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• Originally posted by RAT View Post
                That cover has more metal in it than the entire axle! Hows it coming along?
                No doubt, probably going to change the entire balance of the jeep. But it shouldn't crumple like the stock one. It is going a lot slower than I want but what is new with that. Trying to get the axle trussed and in today, then finish exhaust (from headers back), then seats/harness. I need to move the harness bar that you put in up about 10 inches. I am going to try and save it and reuse, but if the cutting goes badly I might need a little bending done (hence my die question over on your thread).

Comment

• Small Update

Started to make some brackets for my harness install. But I fried my electrode in the plasma, spares on order so the cutting got a little ugly. Going to take a little more flap wheel time.

New EMPI seats with the 5-point.

New harness bar, messed up the weld on this one so I have to grind it out and try again.

Toolbox sale at home depot, ball bearing slides $198.

Started a new stand and top for my old Kennedy as a rolling work station. Need some more metal to beef up the bottom. This is the best thing I have done in my shop, it is super handy to roll right up to where I am working.
                  Last edited by jonah; 12-03-12, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• I got this put together today.

Truss is 1.5"x2.5"x3/16" with 1/4" for the traction bar mount.

Started on the traction bar. This end will take YJ spring bushings.

Comment

• Nicely done sir. Coming along at a decent pace. But never fast enough
                      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• Looking good Jonah... too bad you painted the diff cover the wrong color...

Comment

• Nice job! I can't get use to how fast you make things happen. Do you have the gas tank out? I have that ball valve for you that we talked about if you are ready for it.

Comment

• Thanks guys!

Never fast enough for me. I was trying to make the Toys for Tots run up at Gorman tomorrow but I didn't make it. Today got away with no progress except picking up some 9/16 hardware and drill bit, I might go out and install the axle tonight after the boys go to bed. But I still have to finish the traction bar and exhaust which require noise so it will have to wait until tomorrow. I think I can finish tomorrow though so that will be cool.

Tom, I haven't messed with the fuel lines yet so I will gladly take that ball valve, thanks! Are you around this weekend?

Brett, don't worry, once the LEDs get installed it will be just flashy enough.

Comment

• Yup, should be around and hopefully making a bit of progress on my jeep.

Comment

• traction bar

I got this finished, but I am thinking the johnny joint won't pivot enough and may limit flex. If so I will change to a high misalignment heim.

What I hadn't thought about was that the traction bar took all the space where my second muffler was going to go. Might have to run some glasspacks. I don't know if anything else will fit in there.
                                Last edited by jonah; 12-09-12, 03:28 PM. Reason: tpyo

Comment

Working...
                                X