Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOL, where did I leave that ski mask?!?

Comment

• Not to derail this thread, but I'd like to know a bit more about the plasma cutter. Kurt, sounds like you have one that is relatively cheap, which model do you have, if you don't mind me asking? I probably wouldn't be cutting a whole lot, so going through consumables isn't to much of a concern. I'd only be doing some odds and ends on the jeep, and some furniture making. But it would only be furniture for me, not for production, so I don't think it would get used a whole lot.

And as far as metal thickness, I doubt I would ever need to work with anything thicker than 1/4" steel. And as it is right now, I can't really even work with (weld) that thick, with only 110v at home.

Making straight cuts on small pieces of metal I can do well enough with my abrasive chop saw, but if I want to cut something longer like sheet metal or do any type of cuts that aren't straight, I'm kind of lacking.
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
      www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

• Here's a cheap option to control the axle wrap http://www.jpmagazine.com/howto/16719/ It takes the eyes off of a YJ main spring and puts it in the second position while taking the second spring out and putting it on top of the stack with the delrin pads flipped. Re-close the clamps and it'll help keep the mainspring from winding up.
        Another option - labor intensive - is the bam-bar. It has a good writeup on jeepaholics. The theory looks sound.
        Keep us posted. OP has been a lot of fun to watch growing up.
        God forgives, rocks don't
        -sons of thunder

Comment

• My .02 on the "cheap" cutter. Get a 50A machine with a 60A torch--it's not much more expensive than a 40A, and works way better on 1/4" or better. Do your research--they're really not all the same. The 60A consumables will help mitigate the way these things go through them. One important thing is that the semi-conductor components--be they MOSFET or IGBT--are NOT made in China. You want good Japanese stuff. My machine is a Gianttech, which seems to be good, but the warranty is a lie.
          holes = cowbell

Comment

• The spring option looks interesting although I can't see how that doesn't affect the spring rate, most of my travel is in the droop and that extra spring will change that. I already have an extra leaf under the main spring. I think I am still going traditional traction bar though. The problem with the bam bar and really soft springs is that the bam bar is a single control arm so the springs become the second control arm so you still have loads being transferred to the springs. But a lot of people do like them. I need to read more. Anyway, we will see what I come up with. Thanks for the links, it is always good to have more info.

Bought a plasma today just to contradict myself. Harbor Freight 40A, with the brand new CB 50 torch, $250. But now I am swamped with work so no fun today.

Comment

• Alright! I finally got to wiring up some 220V at my new home so I could stop wiring into the box everytime I wanted to weld something. Plus I got to try out my new plasma, it is awesome. It is the harbor freight that is like the digital display model they have now, only mine doesn't have a digital display. I have only cut some .25 aluminum plate and .125 steel so far. The steel cut at about 60% power and the aluminum I had to turn it up all the way. So much easier/faster than using the torch.

Still need to do a little stucco repair.

The plasma.

Started my dual fan shroud. Using fans from a Town and Country. Nice big motors and not too deep since I am really tight on space as you can see here:

Getting ready to build the fan mounts:

I was getting a little hot while crawling so I hope this helps there. I would have liked to put one big fan in the middle but the water pump pulley was too close so I came up with the dual fan. They are 13" in diameter each, my coverage on the radiator isn't ideal but I think it will work. I may cut in some flaps in the upper left and lower right areas to let air pass through when on the highway if necessary. I have seen that on some factory set ups.

I think I might try this for fan control:
              http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200028

Comment

• Nice :-D

Does that plasma cutter have an internal compressor? Or does it require an external compressor?
                [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

• It requires an external compressor and it is a bit of an air hog. My little compressor runs non-stop while I am cutting. Plus the air keeps flowing for 20-40 seconds after you cut to cool the torch down. I have this compressor:
                  http://www.drillspot.com/products/43...Compressor?s=1

rated at 5.5 @ 90

I run the plasma at 60 psi.

Comment

• That's not a bad deal on the HF, considering you can take it back to the store. I thought they were running like $500 or $600. Did you get the extended warranty?

You probably know this, but with a big air drier it will cut a lot cleaner and use fewer consumables.

You're gonna be a madman now. When do you figure on doing your truss?
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

• No, I bought it used. They are up to $650 new, but the new ones have the digital display. Anyway it seemed to get pretty good reviews and it was fairly cheap.

I have been reading that dry air is good for these. So far I just have a basic water separator but it can get a bit humid over here so I will see how it goes.

I plan on doing the truss as soon as the fans are done and the intake replacement is finished. Hopefully by next week sometime. Although I have some other commitments that are going to slow me down.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonah View Post
                        No, I bought it used. They are up to $650 new, but the new ones have the digital display. Anyway it seemed to get pretty good reviews and it was fairly cheap.

I have been reading that dry air is good for these. So far I just have a basic water separator but it can get a bit humid over here so I will see how it goes.

I plan on doing the truss as soon as the fans are done and the intake replacement is finished. Hopefully by next week sometime. Although I have some other commitments that are going to slow me down.
                        I'm pretty sure I still have a couple of air separator/drier combos left from my old shop. If ya want I'll go dig in my store room and find one.
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• Originally posted by RAT View Post
                          I'm pretty sure I still have a couple of air separator/drier combos left from my old shop. If ya want I'll go dig in my store room and find one.
                          That would be great, Thanks!!

I am going crazy, haven't been able to work on OPY in days and it will be a few more before I get a chance. I hate it when he is sitting there disassembled with no progress. Next week....

Comment

• MJR Top Tip: When prepping metal with muriatic acid, do not squirt it in your eye. It doesn't feel good.

Shroud painted!

Hopefully I can get it mounted once I get back from the ophthalmologist ...

Comment

• Bummer! Are you okay??
                              holes = cowbell

Comment

• Dude! Eye protection is always a must. You only get two. Hope your okay.

Comment

Working...
                                X