X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah 50/50.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonah View Post
      i have read that the wider core radiators like a higher flow. Some people overdrive the water pump to increase flow. I guess it causes more turbulence in the core that helps heat transfer.
      That's one possibility I was getting at.

Originally posted by RAT View Post
      You may need to replace it or put a smaller pulley on the one you have.
      Smaller pulley would definitely be cheaper and easier, and he could get brushed aluminum one to match his radiator. :pimp:
      holes = cowbell

Comment

• Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
        and he could get brushed aluminum one to match his radiator. :pimp:
        Tru Dat homie
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• Oh yeah! Opie is a P I M P

so I pulled the radiator and noticed that the inlet side tank (cross flow radiator) was still had water in it with the lower hose pulled, looks like a bunch of the lower tubes are clogged. I managed to get a few chunks out by running some water backwards through it but it still seems clogged. Might have to get a new radiator.

Haven't pulled the pump yet...

Comment

• Originally posted by jonah View Post
            Oh yeah! Opie is a P I M P

so I pulled the radiator and noticed that the inlet side tank (cross flow radiator) was still had water in it with the lower hose pulled, looks like a bunch of the lower tubes are clogged. I managed to get a few chunks out by running some water backwards through it but it still seems clogged. Might have to get a new radiator.

Haven't pulled the pump yet...

Don't toss that radiator yet. Take it to a car wash. If you have a large rubber cork with a hole in it stick that in the top and stick the wand in the cork. Hit the trigger and watch the bottom outlet. The increased pressure should help push crap out. If it doesn't work and want to try we can cut bottom tank off and clean it.
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• I like the pressure washer idea, I am going to try it.

My other though is that I could increase the width of the radiator by 4 inches if I cut the headlight buckets out. I didn't want to do it for some reason when I was first putting it together but now I just want it to stop overheating. If I get a custom one made I could also pick up a a couple inches in height as well but I don't know if it is worth the extra cost over the generic gm types they sell at summit/jegs/speedway.

I am still going to take a look at the pump for some peace of mind and flush the motor again.

Comment

• Yeah you definitely need a new radiator! I'll take that old one off your hands--it's obviously no good!

Out of curiosity, what coolant are you running? The junk must be loose stuff that came out of your engine, so it should be relatively loose in you radiator too, right?
                holes = cowbell

Comment

• Green stuff, mostly prestone and autozone house brand. The flakes are thin an in the .125 to .25" diameter range. Perfect size to get stuck in the tubes. I got a ton with the fist rinse. After 5 times of filling it, shaking it up and dumping it I am only getting one or two out. Might try to soak the inside with some acid for a bit and rinse again.

It is kind of scary that this much junk is coming out of this engine. Hopefully there are not too many blockages in the engine.

Comment

• I hope there aren't any blockages in the engine. Even a blocked water passage in an intake manifold for instance can crack a head. In fact, I knew someone who cracked three within a couple of months due to that before their dingdong mechanic figured out what it was. You might also look into some of more specialized newer coolants.
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

• Well if there is gunk in the radiator that isn't helping, flush the block as well. Take the thermostat out and and block plug on the sides and flush it out. I still think its a fan issue also, not moving enough air at slow speed. If it running cool on the freeway the radiator should be large enough. My two cents, Kevin.

Comment

• Yeah, I agree on the fans for the slow speed stuff. But I still didn't like that it was heating up that much going up the hill on the freeway. After you left I went up and down the hill a few times at different speeds too see how it acted and it was acting like a clog in my mind. I am still going to try your fan once I get this flush done and inspect the water pump. I wired the fan up and it moves more air than both my fans together, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by RAT View Post
                          Don't toss that radiator yet. Take it to a car wash. If you have a large rubber cork with a hole in it stick that in the top and stick the wand in the cork. Hit the trigger and watch the bottom outlet. The increased pressure should help push crap out. If it doesn't work and want to try we can cut bottom tank off and clean it.
                          Actually what I have seen done to rod out old radiators you slice the a big hole in the flat part of the bottom tank use a dipstick or whatever works to rod the tubes out. Then solder another brass or copper plate over the hole and call it good

Comment

• Well, I filled the radiator with naval jelly and let it sit a while then filled and dumped it a dozen times, then ran the hose through it for a while and it seems like it is draining better now. I also pulled the water pump and it is in perfect condition. Flushed the block and nothing came out of it and it was flowing well on both sides. I think I am going to put it together and drive it with Kevin's pusher fan in addition to my fans for a bit and see what happens. Not many hills of note in Huntington so I will have to figure out something to pull around for extra load I guess.

Comment

• pull the e-brake and drive around? lol

Fortunately, I have a nice big hill right near my place, good testing area
                              [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                              www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

• Driving in the dry sand at the beach would probably do it, the question is can I get away before it overheats?!?

Comment

Working...
                                X