Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're sure that's suitable pipe, by all means, but otherwise, maybe we can help each other out. Unfortunately I cut my B-pillar to B-pillar seat bar (for lack of a better term) a little too short, which might as well be a foot too short, so I'm going to have to buy some more DOM. :bonk: I'm getting a whole 22' stick of 1.75" x .120". I really don't need that much right now...I'd probably be fine with 1/2 of it or less (I'm also gonna tie my C- and B-pillars while I'm at it), but I have to buy a whole stick. My point is, I'm getting it for about $4/ ft (including tax); if you want to buy 1/2 of it, I'd be cool with that.

As far as your TJ factory tubing goes, it is heavy, yet not that strong, and sorely in need of triangulation. A lot of the deformity on my original TJ tubing was in the feet--very thin metal for cage feet. The pass. side "door bar" also bent pretty good. The whole thing was bent to the driver side and took the sheet metal with it.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

• Oh, I should have looked at my computer earlier. I already used the pipe and I don't think I will be redoing that too soon, what a pain making those joints fit tight.

Yeah, I still need to add a triangle to brace the B pillar and the back needs something too. I think I am going to go from the top corners of the B to the center of the middle bar, then go down to the rear seat mount bar.

I thought those feet looked a bit thin I was just going to put a heavier plate underneath when I tie into the frame.

Here are my seat mounts.

Got the winch mounted, check that one off the list.

Comment

• my kingdom for a 1/4 20 tap

Comment

• Looking really good Jonah. Nice choice on the winch.
          Check out .

Comment

• Thanks Chuck, Kurt had told me that you and he had good luck with that one, and the next day this one popped up on craigslist, score! Anyway, I was thinking about upgrading to the rope someday. But I have been reading that some people still like cable better. I have never used rope, how do you like it?

I saw the pics from you shakedown run, that CJ is a mean machine! I love it.

Hopefully I will see you out on the trail soon, fully welded my cage yesterday. Need to put it in bolt it down and it will be drivable, at least to take around the block a few times. Maybe drag it out somewhere and do a light test. I really want to get a little speed and see how my driveshaft building is. I am sure some kind of issue will pop up, I am not super confident in my cooling system.

Of course there are tons of little things to do to really be finished. Spending an hour digging through boxes unsuccessfully searching for my tap and die set doesn't help, I know I packed that thing somewhere....

Comment

• I have had good luck with mine. The choice between cable and synthetic line is very debatable. For normal off road use I much prefer the synthetic line but for moving rocks on AAT I prefer the cable. My line has seen some serious abuse. When I get a new line I will probably stay with synthetic and build a leader to take the abuse.

I know what you’re talking about trying to finish up all the little items from your build. They seem to never end. By the looks of what you done you shouldn't have too many issues when done. You did your homework and it will pay off. Thankfully my issues have been minor and I just about have them licked.
              Check out .

Comment

• Yeah, hopefully not too many issues. The good thing about using old school simple tech, even if there is a problem it is usually simple to fix.

Luckily I don't have the cash to spend on rope, so for now I will stick with cable. Besides it is brand new, never even been unspooled. Got to at least get a kink in it first.

Man I am itchin' to get this on the road, not much time to work on it this week. I am already a month behind schedule.

Comment

• Wow. Envy...
                  God forgives, rocks don't
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

• Hey Thanks! I am pretty happy with the way it has all turned out. Not bad considering my budget, which was modest to say the least...

I love building stuff, it is too much fun.

Comment

• OK, I need some advice.

I am about to paint the inside of my tub and I think I want to do the bed liner thing. Pros/Cons, brands, general advice?? I don't think I want super rough, I think a smoother surface would be easier to clean.

I want to get it done so I can install my freshly painted roll cage!

Comment

• I'm very happy with the Herculiner in my cock pit. A lot cheaper then line-x or others. I also used some duplicolor spray liner under my center console and it looks much cleaner but it's not as durable.
                        Check out .

Comment

• Yeah, everyone seems to like the herc. Is it really rough? Did you top coat with anything to prevent fading? I don't have a top so it will get some sun.

Comment

• Yeah, it's fairly rough--has lots of ground up rubber in it.

I put it on the rails of my tub about 4 years ago now and it is still black. Been in the sun much of that time. It's also still in pretty good shape except where I've gotten it with power tools. You can also reapply new stuff over old stuff--just clean it real good.
                            holes = cowbell

Comment

• Originally posted by jonah View Post
                              Yeah, everyone seems to like the herc. Is it really rough? Did you top coat with anything to prevent fading? I don't have a top so it will get some sun.
                              Yes. Herculiner has a UV topcoat that I put on. Also keep in mind that the rough surface is only after you put it on. After a while is smoothes out from the use. Kind of looks like Rhino liner after a while. Just make sure you stir it really well before you put it on. Do not shake it.
                              Check out .

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                                I'm very happy with the Herculiner in my cock pit. A lot cheaper then line-x or others. I also used some duplicolor spray liner under my center console and it looks much cleaner but it's not as durable.
                                Hey...Alicia rides in the Jeep sometimes, right? :gun:
                                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X