Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, I was just looking at your new pics! Looking awesome, nice welds.

Anytime you want the brake, it is just sitting in my backyard and I won't be home for a long time Sitting on a photoshoot right now. Shooting a little Mazda2, tiny little thing.

I have been hitting it hard since I knew I would be out on this shoot for the next week and a half...

Comment

• A full week away from the jeep, but I finally got back on it and got a little done. Started the rear driveshaft - angle is too steep and the CV binds a little at full droop. I need to angle up the pinion another 3 degrees, which will take 1.5 degrees off the CV. I don't think it will be enough. I guess I will have to limit strap the center of the rear axle.

Made some spring perches:

Cut some more plates for reinforcing the corners:

Tranny Mount:
      Last edited by jonah; 03-31-10, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• Nice work. It's really coming together. Those perches came out really nice.
        Check out .

Comment

• Jonah,
          Looking good. I guess Chuck and I need to share a secret; If you use PVC for the drive shaft it will flex and make up for the extreme angle on the CV. Just make sure to use the heavy wall stuff, it lasts a little bit longer...
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• Thanks guys! I was happy with the perches. 2 inch hitch receiver tube works out just right.

driveshaft...now where did I put that PVC cement??? lol

Update: losing "shop", so I have a new deadline - this thing has to roll by the 1st of May. I don't see how it is possible.

Comment

• Thats some great work on those perches and that mount.Losing shop? I thought you were in a tent in your driveway.
              Dennis and Tammy
              Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

• The schedule 80 stuff will flex just enough.
                I'm starting to think jonah needs to be posting in the photography section for his build. This guy is putting depth of field in his shots. Your making us look bad.
                Check out .

Comment

• Got to have the DOF to make sure you can't see all the bad stuff in the background!

I don't think the 3/16th DOM is going to give me much flex on the driveshaft. Might have to go after that CV with a grinder.

Yes, it is true - I am losing my tent. The house is going up for sale and the realtor doesn't think the jeep project will help sell. I don't get it Anyway, we are moving into a townhouse, so wrenching is going to be tough. Oh well, I will figure something out. On the upside, I now have clearance to work on it every free moment for the next month to get as far along as possible.

Comment

• is that an xj front shaft? and not to dog on u but what is that puny little axle u got in there?

Comment

• No XJ parts here. The drive shaft is half CJ-3B (the blue bit) with a chunk of DOM and a Tom Wood's CV stuck to it.

Yes it is a puny axle (no offense taken). It is a Model 20 rear and a Dana 30 up front. Both from an 86 CJ-8. Now I know some people might say "why waste all of this effort to build on those sorry excuses for axles?" And I would say "it is better than the 10 spline 44 (with busted two piece axles) and Dana 25 that I started with. Plus they were cheap...

Anyway, I only planned on running 33's, so I am not too worried. Plus, if I want to go bigger later, I built it to upgrade easily, plenty of room. So if a good deal comes up on some rockwells and 44s I will just smack them on...of course I would have to up my horsepower first.

Comment

• I thought I had a half or maybe three quarters of day of welding to finish up the frame...a day and a half later and 5 lbs of rod, I am almost done. Just a little touch up here and there. Then a bunch of grinding, I really wish I would have bought pickled and oiled steel. The mill scale on this thing is tough and it is going to take a lot of work to get it clean for paint. If I had a few bucks in my pocket I would probably pay someone to blast it, but since I don't I am going to sand it. Those resin backed sanding disks take it off pretty quick. I am hoping to have paint on the chassis by next weekend. I am still trying to figure out what paint to use, open to suggestions.

rear shackle mount:

rear end:

front end:

starting to drill holes for mounting my steering bracket:

Comment

• Jonah,
                          That is really looking good. Excellent work. It sucks you're loosing the "tent". I'm not sure what I can do to help, but if there is anything, let me know.
                          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• Hey Kurt, Thanks for the offer and the compliment! I think I will have it mostly together by the end of the month, hopefully drivable on some level. Although that might be a bit optimistic. Then I will try to find a work space for it to finish the body work and other little details. I am going to look into some rental spaces. Hopefully I can find something cheap (relatively speaking). The biggest thing I am worried about is building the roll cage as I have no bender, but that could wait for a while I suppose. But the stock roll bar I have is pretty useless, so no real wheelin' or high speeds 'til it is replaced. Anyway, the rest is pretty well planned out, just have to get it together.

The timing for selling this house isn't great for the Jeep, but we think the timing is right for everything else going on in our lives. But who knows with the markets these days?? Keeps it interesting anyway.

Have to work the next two days, so no progress til Wednesday at the earliest. arrrggghhh

Comment

• As far as paint, I like Rust Oleum Appliance epoxy black. It's tough and easy to clean. It doesn't like brake fliud though. Or I also like Krylon industrial high solids. If you paint the frame from front to back, by the time you get to the back, the front will be dry. Not dry enough, dry.
                              Looks great!
                              God forgives, rocks don't
                              -sons of thunder

Comment

• That frame is looking really good. Nice work.

I vote Por15 for the paint. When I restored my CJ that's what I used and it has held up really well. Very durable paint.
                                Check out .

Comment

Working...
                                X