Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• descaled

the KBS sealer on, I brushed it on, it isn't very smooth, but it is sealed up.

Looks better in black.

Going back together.

Comment

• Got a bit more done yesterday. Built clutch slave bracket and fit the slave. The bracket is 3/8 cold rolled, bolted to the block where the old torque tube mechanical linkage was bolted. After perusing the hydraulic cylinder catalog (awesome resource) at Hap's Auto, I picked up the only slave I could find that was 3/4 bore and 3/8 fitting to match my wilwood master. It is really close to the exhaust pipe, so I got it as close as possible to the throwout arm.

Retubed the front driveshaft. 1/4 inch wall overkill. The big problem is the 1350 to 1310 conversion joint I used. It can't take too much angle before it binds. Big 1350 hold down u bolts hit the small 1310 yoke quick. It is currently binding about 2 inches before my shocks bottom out. I am going to grind on it a bit, but I should probably get a 1350 yoke for the driveshaft and use a regular joint.

Rear lower shock mounts built.

Stuck radiator on. Stuck shocks on. Started putting on some engine accessories back on, pulleys, alt, thermostat housing (forgot to put the thermostat in the first time, duh, redo).

Comment

• Jonah,
        Coming long nicely. At that rate you should be rolling in a week! Really is looking good. Got some skills there bra... :thumbs_up
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• The artist in you really shows in your fab work. Really some great work.
          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

• that thing is gonna be sweet. youre fab skills have escalated immensely since the start of your build. NICE WORK!

Comment

• Thanks guys! It is fun watching it come together.

My goal was to have it fired up by the first. I have some work coming up, so I don't think I will make it. Plus I have some big issues to work out: exhaust, wiring, plumbing, figuring out the steering and pedal mounting. Oh yeah, I have no fuel tank either! Oh well, I will keep hacking away at it!

Comment

• Speaking of exhaust. Does anyone know a good place around here (South LA) to buy exhaust parts? My local auto parts doesn't carry any exhaust. I saw autozone had a little but not much.

Comment

• Looks great! Have a target "completion" date?
                  God forgives, rocks don't
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

• Great job on the frame Jonah,it looks cool.That trans really makes that 225 look small,but I know your going to like the power it has,I loved my 69'.
                    Dennis and Tammy
                    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

• 6spd, thanks. I am still hoping to fire it up by the first of may for a test drive. I am sure the details will take a little longer to work out. Then I still have to finish body work and roll cage. But I really need to get it as far along as possible before we move.

GP4Play, thanks, I am pretty happy with the frame. I would do a couple of things different if I was starting over, but it will work. I know what you are saying about the trans, it is huge! I used to have a 3b with the original 4 cyl in it and always wanted to try the dauntless. I hope it runs well, I haven't had the guts to do a compression test yet, but I think the fresh paint job will help :wink:

No jeep wrenchin' today...it was time to make the doughnuts.

Comment

• LOL,a little paint never hurts.I had a bigger Holley 2bl and headers on mine,the headers really woke it up but were always needing tightning,great bottom end power.
                        Dennis and Tammy
                        Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

• yeah, I mean if you can't run...you might as well look good while your standing on the side of the road!

I thought about headers, but I didn't want the headers that go outside the frame and I didn't find any block huggers, so I just decided to go with the stock manifolds. I did ride in a CJ2a sand dragger that had a built dauntless and that thing would put you in your seat. I was amazed what that little V6 could do. I will run this one for a bit and see how it goes, try to get a couple of years out of it before a rebuild.

Comment

• Worked on finishing a bunch of little stuff this weekend. Motor is ready to run, I would have fired it up today, but I broke my rare distributor rotor. But I will have it tomorrow and see if she still runs.

Burned in the driveshaft tubes after spending a lot of time trying to zero the runout. I got the rear down to .004 and the front to .007, but after welding they shifted to .007 for the rear (not bad) and .015 runout on the front (not great). Hopefully they don't vibrate too much.

Built the exhaust, this old Dauntless has some uncommon flanges, but Allied Muffler off the 91 on Lakewood Ave. had some. He also bent up some pipe for me. I gave him model of my Y pipe I made from 1/4 inch rod. I brought the parts home and welded it up, I was amazed everything fit first try, lucky!

Comment

• Oh, yeah. I also did some grinding on my CV joint on the rear drive shaft and on my front drive shaft yoke. It only took a tiny bit of grinding to get to full droop on the rear axle. I haven't checked the front yet, but I picked up about 4-5 degrees of travel. I think it will be enough, but I have to check it tomorrow.

Comment

• Not sure, look to see if the Buick 231 HEI from '75 to '79 will fit that motor. If it does, better spark and EASY finding parts.
                                God forgives, rocks don't
                                -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
                                X