Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howz about a night run on lightning ridge and Motino wash on the 4th?

Comment

• Originally posted by provelogear View Post
      I love the skids! They came out great! If you need some company on your shake down give me a call and I'll take pix for you!
      Thanks Gerald. I'll let you know. With the heat in the desert I'm starting to think Cleghorn for the shakedown.

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
      Howz about a night run on lightning ridge and Motino wash on the 4th?
      We'll see how things go. I took yesterday hoping I would have drive shafts but no luck.
      Check out .

Comment

• It is alive!!!

Well, after 7 months, 100 cut off wheels, 2 fires, 2 pairs of overalls, and 5 bandaids I'm back on the road. Drove it for the first time today and what a difference. Way better ride then before. Had a couple things pop up like a leaking trans cooler fitting, through a P0404 code, had to move the proportioning valve up higher to clear the driveshaft, and the dash brake light won’t go out.

I think the rear needs to come down a bit but I will check it again once I load it up with my gear. I still need to set the dual rate stops. The hydro assist is very touchy but I'm surprised how well it handled on the freeway. No vibrations which is strange since I did not balance the wheels.

So now the plan is to drive it to work next week to make sure everything works and doesn’t fall apart then it’s off to Cleghorn.

As it sits now the belly height is 23 1/2" and the wheelbase is 100".

Before

After

Check out .

Comment

• wow what a difference in the front views, thing is gonna be way stable, looks great i envy you....!

Comment

• Damn Sweet there Chuck Congrats what awesome work ya did...really looks great..
            "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

• Thanks Guys.

Alright, I don't have a forklift so I tried with the engine hoist. This is not fully lifted because the hoist started to bend.

Check out .

Comment

• You should be very proud of a great job you did.
                IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

• Beauty!! Nice job.

Comment

• You suck. I mean damn. Nice job Chuck. Can hardly wait to see it in action.

Comment

• Chuck,

Great job. Sorry I didn't make it today. Looks awesome. Good luck this week!

Comment

• Thanks guys

My original plan of driving to work kind of changed. Mike (formally Malichi) twisted my arm and we took it out yesterday. The day started out great. The family and I meet Mike, Sharon, Sharon’s mom, and her friend at Mike’s house and planned on going up in to Arrowhead for lunch via the 18 and then take some easy trails home.

The drive up to Mike’s was great. The Jeep handled really well on the freeway. Tracks straight and absolutely no bump steer. When I arrived at Mike’s I did notice that I spewed a little transfer case oil out the breather. Obviously I over filled it a tad. I removed the quick release tube I installed on the back of the case and drained a little oil. No problem. While I was under the Jeep I noticed that the bushing for the cross member was starting to melt. I’m going to have to wrap the pipe in that area.

After a quick inspection of everything else we headed up the hill. The Jeep did run a little warm going up the hill but we made it to Arrowhead Village with no issues. There we had lunch at the Thai restaurant where I took my only picture, did a little shopping and then headed for the trail.

We headed for 2N25 on the North Shore, got out for one final check of the Jeep and hit the trail. The Jeep did very well on the trail. The only issue I was having was my rear springs are defiantly to soft. I hit the bumpstops on almost every bump. Other than that things were going great. The Jeep was climbing like a goat. The twin sticks worked awesome. I’m now able to shift the front in and out of gear on the fly. With the single stick I always had to stop put the trans in neutral then shift the transfer case. I really like that.

Everything was going great and then it happened. Towards the end of 3N34 at Willow Creek we came up to a fairly deep water crossing and the Jeep was performing perfect. Smile on my face and the family having a great time. I turned at looked at the kids and they had huge grins on their faces. I knew what they wanted and I wanted the same. We punched it and just as we get to the end of the crossing the Jeep dies. Hydro Locked.

Mike strapped me out so we could take a look. Pulled some plugs and drained the water but for some reason the starter was not engaging all the teeth. We pulled the starter to make sure it was working properly and it was. But it would not turn the motor. The teeth on the flex plate looked fine and same with the starter. We just couldn’t get it to turn the motor. It would just spin sounding like some teeth were missing.

Finally we gave up towed the Jeep to the 173 and called AAA. We had 4 people in Mike’s Jeep and 4 in mine. Told AAA I had 4 to take down the mountain and they should bring a flatbed. About half an hour later here comes the truck. No flatbed and only room for two. After some planning we hooked up the Jeep and my older son and I took the Jeep home to get my truck. Mike took 6 people in his TJ to a restaurant in Arrowhead then went to get his truck. Mike drives back up the hill picks everyone up and heads to his house. I got home jumped in the truck and headed to Mike’s. By this time it’s 10:30pm and I’m beat. Mike and I literally should up at his house at the same time. Mike, you are the man. Thank you again. What a day. Go figure. The one thing that disables the Jeep had nothing to do with my build.

It’s great to be back.
                        Check out .

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                          Thanks guys

My original plan of driving to work kind of changed. Mike (formally Malichi) twisted my arm and we took it out yesterday. The day started out great. The family and I meet Mike, Sharon, Sharon’s mom, and her friend at Mike’s house and planned on going up in to Arrowhead for lunch via the 18 and then take some easy trails home.

The drive up to Mike’s was great. The Jeep handled really well on the freeway. Tracks straight and absolutely no bump steer. When I arrived at Mike’s I did notice that I spewed a little transfer case oil out the breather. Obviously I over filled it a tad. I removed the quick release tube I installed on the back of the case and drained a little oil. No problem. While I was under the Jeep I noticed that the bushing for the cross member was starting to melt. I’m going to have to wrap the pipe in that area.

After a quick inspection of everything else we headed up the hill. The Jeep did run a little warm going up the hill but we made it to Arrowhead Village with no issues. There we had lunch at the Thai restaurant where I took my only picture, did a little shopping and then headed for the trail.

We headed for 2N25 on the North Shore, got out for one final check of the Jeep and hit the trail. The Jeep did very well on the trail. The only issue I was having was my rear springs are defiantly to soft. I hit the bumpstops on almost every bump. Other than that things were going great. The Jeep was climbing like a goat. The twin sticks worked awesome. I’m now able to shift the front in and out of gear on the fly. With the single stick I always had to stop put the trans in neutral then shift the transfer case. I really like that.

Everything was going great and then it happened. Towards the end of 3N34 at Willow Creek we came up to a fairly deep water crossing and the Jeep was performing perfect. Smile on my face and the family having a great time. I turned at looked at the kids and they had huge grins on their faces. I knew what they wanted and I wanted the same. We punched it and just as we get to the end of the crossing the Jeep dies. Hydro Locked.

Mike strapped me out so we could take a look. Pulled some plugs and drained the water but for some reason the starter was not engaging all the teeth. We pulled the starter to make sure it was working properly and it was. But it would not turn the motor. The teeth on the flex plate looked fine and same with the starter. We just couldn’t get it to turn the motor. It would just spin sounding like some teeth were missing.

Finally we gave up towed the Jeep to the 173 and called AAA. We had 4 people in Mike’s Jeep and 4 in mine. Told AAA I had 4 to take down the mountain and they should bring a flatbed. About half an hour later here comes the truck. No flatbed and only room for two. After some planning we hooked up the Jeep and my older son and I took the Jeep home to get my truck. Mike took 6 people in his TJ to a restaurant in Arrowhead then went to get his truck. Mike drives back up the hill picks everyone up and heads to his house. I got home jumped in the truck and headed to Mike’s. By this time it’s 10:30pm and I’m beat. Mike and I literally should up at his house at the same time. Mike, you are the man. Thank you again. What a day. Go figure. The one thing that disables the Jeep had nothing to do with my build.

It’s great to be back.

You should have called i would have game and got you guys and taken you home.....
                          [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

• Originally posted by dr.dirty View Post
                            You should have called i would have game and got you guys and taken you home.....
                            I know you would have. You're cool like that. Thanks.

Hopefully the fix won't be to bad and I'll be back out soon. You need to get your Jeep dirty.
                            Check out .

Comment

• Murphys law! Time for a V8 swap! Nice work on the jeep...break it in slowly!

Comment

• The CJ looks great Chuck,great to hear your back on the road.Sorry to hear of your troubles,I was camped out up on Hanna Flats with my truck and would of helped had I knew you you were there.Still,it's good to hear your out again.
                                Dennis and Tammy
                                Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Working...
                                X