Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess they didn't teach ya a whole lot of wrenching in leatherneck school. Use the tried and true leather neck technique shoot the damned thing. Anyway seriously you can find a seal kit for the steering box for 30 bucks or so and the top seal isn't all that hard to replace. Nor is adjusting the steering box properly all that hard. As far as wiring goes, you got two directions you can go. Choice A: find an unmolested wiring loom for a YJ and start from there or B: rip everything out and make your own. Choice A is most likely easier and cheaper if you can find some wiring looms that are in good shape. It isn't all that hard to replace most of the looms in a YJ.

Comment

• Nick, I may be able to help you. When I bought Brian's Jeep he had a second steering box. It was a PSC box ported for ram assist. I put that on the Jeep and have the one I pulled off and actually took pictures Saturday so I could list it for sale soon. In Brian's for-sale description, it said this box was: "large bore Durango box". From what I can tell, it's basically the same as the one you linked.

Call me and make me an offer.
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

• Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
        Nick, I may be able to help you. When I bought Brian's Jeep he had a second steering box. It was a PSC box ported for ram assist. I put that on the Jeep and have the one I pulled off and actually took pictures Saturday so I could list it for sale soon. In Brian's for-sale description, it said this box was: "large bore Durango box". From what I can tell, it's basically the same as the one you linked.

Just make sure it has the same mounting bolt pattern. The TJ and YJ have some differences IIRC. The Durango box is slightly bigger but it does fit.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• Hey Nick, I'm going to look at the two YJ's I talked to you about. They probably have perfect wiring harnesses. Assuming they have Standard Jeep motors.... and other goodies probably that sends a chill down a YJ owner's leg...
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

• Originally posted by Roger View Post
            Hey Nick, I'm going to look at the two YJ's I talked to you about. They probably have perfect wiring harnesses. Assuming they have Standard Jeep motors.... and other goodies probably that sends a chill down a YJ owner's leg...
            Don't forget to let me know what you find out about those YJs Roger. I'm interested.

Comment

• Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
              Use the tried and true leather neck technique shoot the damned thing.
              I tried, he won't let me...

We will probably spend a weekend re-wiring the damn thing. I have a factory wiring schematic. And a whole lot of wire markers...

Comment

• Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                I guess they didn't teach ya a whole lot of wrenching in leatherneck school. Use the tried and true leather neck technique shoot the damned thing. Anyway seriously you can find a seal kit for the steering box for 30 bucks or so and the top seal isn't all that hard to replace. Nor is adjusting the steering box properly all that hard. As far as wiring goes, you got two directions you can go. Choice A: find an unmolested wiring loom for a YJ and start from there or B: rip everything out and make your own. Choice A is most likely easier and cheaper if you can find some wiring looms that are in good shape. It isn't all that hard to replace most of the looms in a YJ.
                [COLOR="darkred"]I'm working on the "unmolested" harness option with Roger. I don't shoot my horse Art...Man you really wanna shoot my Jeep don't ya?[/COLOR]

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                Nick, I may be able to help you. When I bought Brian's Jeep he had a second steering box. It was a PSC box ported for ram assist. I put that on the Jeep and have the one I pulled off and actually took pictures Saturday so I could list it for sale soon. In Brian's for-sale description, it said this box was: "large bore Durango box". From what I can tell, it's basically the same as the one you linked.

[COLOR="darkred"]Let me research it a little more. I've only seen the Durango box swap done for XJ's and I'm not sure if that will match up to the YJ yet.[/COLOR]
                Originally posted by Roger View Post
                Hey Nick, I'm going to look at the two YJ's I talked to you about. They probably have perfect wiring harnesses. Assuming they have Standard Jeep motors.... and other goodies probably that sends a chill down a YJ owner's leg...
                [COLOR="darkred"]SWEET!!! Let me know about the other parts we talked about too. Apparently I could use a steering gear box now. [/COLOR]
                [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

• [COLOR="darkred"]Let me research it a little more. I've only seen the Durango box swap done for XJ's and I'm not sure if that will match up to the YJ yet.[/COLOR]

I said.... make me an offer. You get the buddy discount which means said offer can include things such as "I'll come take the steering box;see if it works; give you a few bucks if it does; or the box back if it doesn't".

Just let me know, you're first in line and I'll wait to hear from you before posting it for sale.
                  If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

• Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post

I said.... make me an offer. You get the buddy discount which means said offer can include things such as "I'll come take the steering box;see if it works; give you a few bucks if it does; or the box back if it doesn't".

Just let me know, you're first in line and I'll wait to hear from you before posting it for sale.
                    [color="darkred"]Thanks Mat!!! I'll be in touch![/color]

Comment

• I[coLOR="#8b0000"]I cannot win!!!

Just pulled into the garage to tighten bolts after Holcomb last weekend, and water pump starts leaking. [/COLOR]

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                        I[coLOR="#8b0000"]I cannot win!!!

Just pulled into the garage to tighten bolts after Holcomb last weekend, and water pump starts leaking. [/COLOR]
                        It must have been from the extra stress of doing the west end rock garden in reverse. :wink:
                        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

• Come on now, don't get discouraged. DW is fixed, now on to the next problem. Kinda funny too (because I don't have to fix it), because this thread is living up to its name like few others. Ever heard of planned obsolescence? This thread could be making some old engineer feel pretty smart right now.
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

• Just fix this thing right once and be done with it. Patches over patches do not make for good fixes.
                            If ya ever need help wrenching and sorting some of the mess out, just holler buddy.
                            If some million plus miles trucks can be made reliable, there has to be hope for your put put Jeep.

Comment

• Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                              Come on now, don't get discouraged. DW is fixed, now on to the next problem. Kinda funny too (because I don't have to fix it), because this thread is living up to its name like few others. Ever heard of planned obsolescence? This thread could be making some old engineer feel pretty smart right now.
                              [color="darkred"]This thread title is so accurate it's scary. The problems keep on coming, one after the other. But that's the fun part right? My problem is that the amount of fixes compared to the amount of wheeling is overwhelmingly disproportionate.[/color]

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                              Just fix this thing right once and be done with it. Patches over patches do not make for good fixes.
                              If ya ever need help wrenching and sorting some of the mess out, just holler buddy.
                              If some million plus miles trucks can be made reliable, there has to be hope for your put put Jeep.
                              [color="darkred"]Yea..that would be awesome. I'll PM you when I get a few more minutes to do so.[/color]

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                                [color="darkred"]This thread title is so accurate it's scary. The problems keep on coming, one after the other. But that's the fun part right? My problem is that the amount of fixes compared to the amount of wheeling is overwhelmingly disproportionate.[/color]
                                That is why I'm trying to stay out of this thread. I'm afraid some of your problems might be contagious and knowing my luck, I'll catch it. You've got me really looking at things under/over/through the YJ. Mine is 5 years younger than yours but I know that there are issues that need attention. Good luck Nick.

Comment

Working...
                                X