Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't feel bad my fellow YJ owner. I just discovered today that I have ANOTHER broken front leaf spring. Three broken since march 2010. Can't figure out why it keeps happening.

Enough of my whining, It looks like your tranny problems aren't too bad. Hope to see you back on the trail soon!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
      Don't feel bad my fellow YJ owner. I just discovered today that I have ANOTHER broken front leaf spring. Three broken since march 2010. Can't figure out why it keeps happening.

Enough of my whining, It looks like your tranny problems aren't too bad. Hope to see you back on the trail soon!
      Roger, are these OEM springs? The only leaf I have broken was and aftermarket "helper" spring. My 27 yo OEM leafs are still GTG.
      LG
      Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

[COLOR="darkred"]Okay, so when we tore apart the t-case, we really didn't notice anything wrong at first. We looked at the chain, and as LG stated earlier, it was pretty slack but it didn't seem to be SO BAD that it would skip teeth on the gears. Since we have it apart, I'm going to replace the chain, and the front output shaft/gear. We kept poking around because the magnet was covered in chunks of metal-plastic-ish type stuff. And then we looked at the filter for the fluid pump...

This came out of the filter.

Which made us look around inside a lot harder, and we picked up the range fork...and it looked a little odd...

So what was apparently happening was because the pads wore away, the range fork wasn't holding back the range gear from trying to engage 4wd...at highway speeds. As I have been lead to believe...this is not good.
        The gear got chewed up a bit, so replacing that as well.

Waiting for parts to come in. I was only able to find ONE source for all the needed parts. I threw a couple of other needed items on the list to help with some of the other issues going on with the YJ. One, will be the exhaust leak.
        [/COLOR]
        Last edited by USMC 0369; 07-02-12, 07:09 AM.
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Head lights? Brake lights? Those didn't make the order list?!

Comment

Wow!
            Seeing that sprocket and the wear I can say 100% the chain was skip'n.
            You must replace both sprockets the chain is on or you'll be back inside soon.
            ANY slack in that chain is bad. Wait till you put the new one in, then you'll see what I mean about the chain being tight.
            After the rebuild. Change the ATF in the T/case at 1K mile and then again at 3K. Then every year after that.
            Good pics, BTW.
            LG

Comment

Chain was not skipping. Not at all. It wasn't too slack. The plastic pads on the range fork wore out allowing the range gear to move way more than designed. It was engaging the synchronizer ring then bouncing back out. That's why the teeth on the range gear are chewed. The range fork took a big hit too because the range gear was riding directly on the fork instead of the plastic pads. The front output shaft teeth are a little worn so we are replacing it as well. She'll be back together and running as soon as the parts come in.
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Then that chain is stretched good. How many miles on it?
                There shouldn't be any slack in that t/case chain when it's cold.
                Chains stretch allot when they get hot. Then swrink back down when cool(IE: chain saw chains).
                Any chain with slack will just have more slack after it gets to temp.
                Good luck,
                LG

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
                  Chains stretch allot when they get hot. Then swrink back down when cool(IE: chain saw chains).
                  Good luck,
                  LG
                  Read post #18...We are replacing the chain.
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Yes you did...sorry.
                    Good luck on the rebuild. I hate doing those chain drive cases.
                    LG

Comment

Holy cow!!! I guess the CJ will have to wait a while longer.
                      Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
                        Good luck,
                        LG
                        [COLOR="darkred"]LG, I'm not sure how many miles are on the T-case exactly. If it's the original from the vehicle...then 160K+. There was a bit of slack, but no evidence of it skipping. I don't mind working on the chain drive...I just go get a sammich and hand it off to Kurt. [/COLOR]

Originally posted by Hook&Ladder View Post
                        Head lights? Brake lights? Those didn't make the order list?!
                        [COLOR="darkred"]The electrical stuff is going to be a whole project in itself. But no, they didn't make the chop this time. In due time...in due time.[/COLOR]

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                        Holy cow!!! I guess the CJ will have to wait a while longer.
                        [COLOR="darkred"]Not TOO much longer Chuck. I've been keeping a tight zip tie on the wallet because I wasn't sure if my job would exist next year. The glorious world of Gov't contracting. (I'm sure many here go through the same worries.) But I just got word that I will be employed next year...and so...I'm pretty sure I have a line on a sandblaster to start getting the frame in order. Oh yea... this is gonna be fun. I'll put the CJ in it's own thread when the work begins. I'm not sure Sarah will let the CJ go though...I hear she's made a cute cactus planter out of it.[/COLOR]

Comment

That's great news about the job. One less thing to worry about. It's good to see the YJ getting some love.
                          Check out .

Comment

Transtar in Ontario is a good source for this stuff. Their online catalog is a bit weird to navigate, and you have to call to get availability and pricing, but they usually have what you need. Google them - don't just put a dot com after the name, you probably don't want to go to that site...
                            God forgives, rocks don't
                            -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                              Transtar in Ontario is a good source for this stuff. Their online catalog is a bit weird to navigate, and you have to call to get availability and pricing, but they usually have what you need. Google them - don't just put a dot com after the name, you probably don't want to go to that site...
                              [color="darkred"]I'll trust ya.... sounds like experience talkin...

I Google'd them... I come up with a transtar1.com but locations in Orange, Van Nuys, El Cajon...no Ontario. Maybe I'm looking at a different company? I'm not seeing any transfer case parts (online at least). I've already ordered my parts for the transfer case anyway, but not the new torque converter yet. I'll keep these guys in mind. If you have a phone number to the one in Ontario I'll take it.[/color]
                              Last edited by USMC 0369; 07-02-12, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Dang, I was gonna steal the CJ. I didn't think anyone would notice it missing...
                                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                                MJR moderator
                                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                                Jeep Patrol Leader
                                Reforestation Supervisor
                                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                                Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                                X