Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: Nick's POS thread.

[COLOR="darkred"]The ole YJ needs work from time to time... (read: constantly). So instead of posting a zillion little quips on everyone else's threads, I will bring the wonderful world of carb'd, broke a$$ repairs into a single random collection of chaos.

Currently, the main issue is the driveline crunching.

When driving down the freeway or through town, I would get a small clunk in the driveline somewhere. RAT and I pulled the rear diff cover and looked around for something that's off. But nada. Everything looked ok inside...except the fluid color but we fixed that.

On my way home from hanging out at A-Hole Fab one night, I got a hell-ov-a crunch/bang under the YJ and now it feels like I've broken a tooth off of something. When driving flat with little torque on the drivetrain I still have the clunk going on, but if I step on it or I'm driving uphill I get what feels like the driveline missing a tooth several times in a row.

So, took the tranny pan off & found shavings in the filter. Not a lot, but pencil shavings & they stuck to the magnet. The magnet has about 1/16th of a film all over it as well. I'm told this is not good.

The current hypothosis is that I've munched planetary gear or something equivilant. Taking the mess out of the YJ and transporting it to A-Hole Fab for a look-see.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="darkred"]Oh! Stand by for future installments of Nick's POS, to include:

1. chasing electrical gremlins in the dark (aka: "Nick you know your rear driver brake light is out right?" or "Seriously? Your headlights are still on the switch we cobbled together six months ago on the trail?")

2. seriously, when are you gonna get rid of that carb?

3. dude your dashboard looks like a fire hazard...

4. and my personal favorite: :cough: how about you fix that exhaust leak... :cough:[/COLOR]

Comment

Poor YJ needs some lovin.
      Last edited by RAT; 06-28-12, 06:43 AM.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
        Poor YJ needs some lovin.
        [COLOR="darkred"]It does. If it were a pet, it would love you more than it does me. [/COLOR]

Comment

Did the oil pan look like this?

Tranny death0005 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

This is what I think may be wrong but we gotta open 'er up to see!

Tranny death 20019 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Comment

Did the oil pan look like this?
            [sized]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5045/5256707948_47093fe356_b.jpg[/sized]
            [COLOR="darkred"]Not QUITE that bad. shavings were thicker but a lot less of them. Wish I'd taken a picture.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
              [COLOR="darkred"]Not QUITE that bad. shavings were thicker but a lot less of them. Wish I'd taken a picture.[/COLOR]
              Some metal shaving is normal especially since I am pretty sure it has been awhile since you adjusted the bands and or changed the filter and trans fluid. What noise does it make like ticking/ clunking type noise that sounds like a tooth broken of a gear or a schreeching type noise.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                Some metal shaving is normal especially since I am pretty sure it has been awhile since you adjusted the bands and or changed the filter and trans fluid.
                [COLOR="darkred"]Define "been a while"... I just had the trans rebuilt at a shop in 2009. I drove it from Michigan to California that year, and changed fluid afterward. Did not adjust bands though.[/COLOR]

What noise does it make like ticking/ clunking type noise that sounds like a tooth broken of a gear or a schreeching type noise.
                [COLOR="darkred"]It clunks pretty pretty hard when under torque. It also 'feels' like it's missing a tooth. I'm taking the T-case up to A-Hole Fab as well. I'm not 100% convinced that the problem is in the tranny, but there is certainly something going on in there. Though it's hard for me to tell exactly where the clunk is coming from, I noticed it doesn't do these things when in 4wd.

The clunk & feeling of missing tooth isn't rhythmic either. I tried to time it out, but I'm not able to say it happens every "x seconds". It seems to be torque related, not RPM or speed.[/COLOR]
                Last edited by USMC 0369; 06-29-12, 07:07 AM.

Comment

I think we'll take the t case apart first. The clunk not happening in 4x isn't really much of a tell. You are rarely going more than a couple MPH in 4lo. It seems it's more speed related.I still think you should pull the front diff cover and look at the R&P too.

Comment

Chain drive t/case maybe?
                    Worn out/loose chain skip'n.
                    NOT uncommon at all.
                    LG
                    Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
                      Chain drive t/case maybe?
                      Worn out/loose chain skip'n.
                      NOT uncommon at all.
                      LG
                      [COLOR="darkred"]Kurt threw this out there and we talked about that. Definately a possibility.[/COLOR]

I think we'll take the t case apart first. The clunk not happening in 4x isn't really much of a tell. You are rarely going more than a couple MPH in 4lo. It seems it's more speed related.I still think you should pull the front diff cover and look at the R&P too.
                      [COLOR="darkred"]Checking the T-case first probably a good idea. But still think I need some tranny work. Front diff cover pulled & checked.. I really didn't see anything wrong in there, much like the rear...the oil was about black. Replaced fluid and sealed it back up. Spun the diff and teeth look good, looked at the pinion as best I could...didn't see any chips or broken teeth.[/COLOR]

Comment

How many miles on the T/case?
                        What oil are you using in it?
                        Drive 2-3K miles and change the tranny oil again. You still had old oil left in the torque converter and cooling lines that go to the radiator's bottom pan.
                        Change tranny oil at least every year.
                        Remember that oil/fluids are the cheapest things we will EVER put into our Jeep's. Buy the best.......
                        LG
                        Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

T case was the problem. Range shifter lever plastic pads wore out and the range gear hub is torn up from jumping in and out of gear. Parts on order, will be here in a week.

Comment

You get Nick's POS ( all in fun Nick. My POS is far more worse than yours.) fixed and I'm bring mine up to you. I think my tranny's dying.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                              You get Nick's POS ( all in fun Nick. My POS is far more worse than yours.) fixed and I'm bring mine up to you. I think my tranny's dying.
                              I'll ahole fab that YJ for ya!

Comment

Working...
                              X