Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
    What is there to tune on a carb? idle screws for most, if it's a Carter BBD it might have needles in the main jets which you can play with to lean things out a bit to get better milage. Did that on an old Dodge van I had worked pretty darn well
    [COLOR="darkred"]Tuning a carb is not my bag of nuts Art. I HATE messing with fuel air mixtures to get it right. I'm running the MC2100 carb on the YJ, and one of the 'mechanics' messed with my jets when the carb needed a new gasket.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

• Do you have main jets for it? Is the powervalve still good? Motorcraft carbs have a power valve and a good backfire will kill one of those and then the darn thing drinks so much fuel it's pathetic.

Comment

Do you have main jets for it? Is the powervalve still good? Motorcraft carbs have a power valve and a good backfire will kill one of those and then the darn thing drinks so much fuel it's pathetic.
        [COLOR="darkred"]The main jets are still good. Just out of adjustment I think. The powervalve...is I think the accelerator pump? If so, that is what I just replaced the gaskets on and haven't had any backfires thankfully.

I'm not sure you can see it...but is the "powervalve" item #41 thru #44 on this picture?[/COLOR]

Comment

• part 48 in the bottom of the carb

Comment

• I would change that. the idle screws affect idle only nothing else. If the main jets and air bleeds didn't get changed I would seriously look at the power valve that and the accelerator diaphragm leaking are the worst down falls of the Motorcraft carburators

Comment

I would change that. the idle screws affect idle only nothing else. If the main jets and air bleeds didn't get changed I would seriously look at the power valve that and the accelerator diaphragm leaking are the worst down falls of the Motorcraft carburators
              [COLOR="darkred"]I did replace item #48 on the carb. I thought that gasket was leaking also, so I pulled it apart and replaced #48 & the gasket. I replaced both of those items during the 'rebuild'. I can only think of the 'adjustment' that the mechanic made to the air fuel mixture screws on the carb. (#31 & #51 on the diagram)[/COLOR]

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                [COLOR="darkred"]Tuning a carb is not my bag of nuts Art. I HATE messing with fuel air mixtures to get it right. I'm running the MC2100 carb on the YJ, and one of the 'mechanics' messed with my jets when the carb needed a new gasket.[/COLOR]
                Bag of nuts? You mean sack of nuts? :hide:
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

• Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                  Bag of nuts? You mean sack of nuts? :hide:
                  [COLOR="darkred"]Oh geez....

thanks for the deal on the steering box![/COLOR]

Comment

[COLOR="darkred"]Oh geez.... [/COLOR]
                    Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                    [COLOR="darkred"]thanks for the deal on the steering box![/COLOR]
                    Any time.

Comment

• [COLOR="darkred"]So IF down the line I wanna go hydro assist...how hard is it to port this steering box for that?[/COLOR]

Comment

• I wouldnt think of it. If you go hydro assist drop the coin for the PSC unit. You'll make out in the long run.
                        You have a bay at the hobby shop all weekend?
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

[COLOR="darkred"]I did replace item #48 on the carb. I thought that gasket was leaking also, so I pulled it apart and replaced #48 & the gasket. I replaced both of those items during the 'rebuild'. I can only think of the 'adjustment' that the mechanic made to the air fuel mixture screws on the carb. (#31 & #51 on the diagram)[/COLOR]
                          Those only affect idle mixture. screw them in till it runs like crap then back out till it runs good that should be good enough.
                          You can always drop by my house on a weekend or at night and I'll stick a screwdriver in it's behind to see if we can chase the bad spirit out of it

Comment

• Originally posted by RAT View Post
                            I wouldnt think of it. If you go hydro assist drop the coin for the PSC unit. You'll make out in the long run.
                            You have a bay at the hobby shop all weekend?
                            [COLOR="darkred"]I've heard the PSC unit is the way to go for hydro... It was just a thought anyway, I've got so many other problems to deal with before hydro assist. Blinkers would be nice.

No bay at the shop just yet. I may go in on Saturday to see if I can get one. Unless A-hole Fab is open... [/COLOR]

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                            Those only affect idle mixture. screw them in till it runs like crap then back out till it runs good that should be good enough.
                            You can always drop by my house on a weekend or at night and I'll stick a screwdriver in it's behind to see if we can chase the bad spirit out of it
                            [COLOR="darkred"]Well it's acting REALLY doggy. I have to feather it to get any response out of it, or I'll stall it out. Weird thing is, it was doing this when the gasket was ripped for the accelerator pump.[/COLOR]

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                              Nick,

I put on the Durango steering box a few years ago on the Great88. Fit perfect and was a good choice for a upgraded replacement. Never had a problem after that.

Mitch
                              I didn't know this! Good to know!
                              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                              MJR moderator
                              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

[COLOR="darkred"]I've heard the PSC unit is the way to go for hydro... It was just a thought anyway, I've got so many other problems to deal with before hydro assist. Blinkers would be nice.[/COLOR]
                                Sorry, I thought you could simply port this one. I too believe you have other fish to fry before worrying about hydro/ram though.

Comment

Working...
                                X