This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stocker Run

Just for the record, I am planning to lead a stocker run that starts at Peggy Sue's with a driver's meeting at 8:30am and will lead through several points of interest around the Calico area. I am planning on visits to the west Phillips Loop and the small rock crawling area there:

(We will be heading in the opposite direction from these Jeeps)

We will take a challenging descent to the upper Odessa Canyon floor:

Then a visit to the Bismarck Mine:

Afterwards, we can check out the mountain overlook of the Calico basin, the east Phillips Loop, and the Kramer Arch:

Then we can take the Mule Canyon Cut-off to get to the IDTT camp.

I wanted to include the Wall Street Canyon Overlook, but this challenge was in the way:

Obviously, this is a bit more than a stock Jeep is ready for.

If the Stocker run finishes with enough daylight left, I would like to take any willing folks on this newest difficult trail in the area. Otherwise, I am going to explore this area on Sunday if I can get some victims.. er.. volunteers to go with me.

While we were scouting for the area for the Stocker Run this last weekend, we also checked out the information about the Gatekeeper being more washed out than last year.

It's true.

The washed out parts are deeper, but from my observations, the key to getting through the Gatekeeper isn't in how deep the holes are, but more in what line you pick to avoid the holes. I only know this from watching and spotting, but I am sure that this is still true even with the more rugged terrain.

The Gatekeeper is definitely more washed out. Even the approach has a new and more challenging route:

Even though the ruts are deeper, the main ostacles have only changed a little from last year:

What has changed a lot from last year is the upper part. It is far more rugged than it used to be:

Calico ROCKS! This is going to be fun!
    ...Just reporting what I see... Can't wait for IDTT!
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Crazy question...

How many people are renting RV's for IDTT? and if so, where are you renting from? Not trying to get a commercial going, but would like the info. Mrs "BrokenJeep" and I are looking into the RV rental or camper rental thing for this event. Any info and experience would be much appreciated! Thanks!
      Regards,
      Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

Gotta go sign my son up for college on Saturday, but can be there on Sunday if anyone can lead me around the same routes that Malachi posted above? It sounds like what I need to offer for a future run up there so I need to learn it from a pro.

Comment

Ms.812 and I are sleeping in the back of the 4runner. Shes a trooper. I would like to go in the socker run with you Malachi. This is our first trip to Calico and it would be fun see the sights.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by mybrokenjeep View Post
            How many people are renting RV's for IDTT? and if so, where are you renting from? Not trying to get a commercial going, but would like the info. Mrs "BrokenJeep" and I are looking into the RV rental or camper rental thing for this event. Any info and experience would be much appreciated! Thanks!
            Commandoman, Commandowoman?, Materdaddy, Matermomma, and CJ are renting an RV. Commandoman has the details... I think it's El Monte in Corona/Norco if I remember correctly. This will be a first time RV rental for all of us, so we (at least I) don't have any tips, or other information. Sorry!

Commandoman might. I heard they were going to go check out the rental place and ask questions in person to make sure there were no hidden fees or anything we weren't expecting.
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Mike I would like to run the wallstreet trail with you
              Got a meet time in mind for Sunday at peggy sue's or something?

Comment

Count me in for Sunday.Last time out I went to the point you did and walked in. It looked doable.Peggy
                Sues for breakfast OK. What time
                You can make it

Comment

[quote=Malachi;124983]Just for the record, I am planning to lead a stocker run that starts at Peggy Sue's with a driver's meeting at 8:30am and will lead through several points of interest around the Calico area. I am planning on visits to the west Phillips Loop and the small rock crawling area there:

(We will be heading in the opposite direction from these Jeeps)

We will take a challenging descent to the upper Odessa Canyon floor:

Then a visit to the Bismarck Mine:

Uhhhh, how are you going to get all those stock Jeeps in that tiny liitle hole?????
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

So, do we have a rough idea of what the Saturday and/or Sunday schedule looks like? The roll call sheet only mentions:
                    6th Annual Calico IDTT Run
                    Join in on the MJR legacy and c'mon out to Calico. To say this is our most popular run of the year would be putting it mildly!

Directions, CAMP LOCATION, trails, etc: Click
                    Morning Meet N Greet, Please Eat Breakfast: 8:00 AM, Peggy Sue's Diner
                    Driver's Meeting: 8:45AM, Peggy Sue's Diner

Stocker Run: TBD
                    CB Channel: 4
                    Event Duration: FRI night - SUN afternoon
                    Discussion: TBD
                    Or are we meeting at Peggy Sue's both Saturday and Sunday at 8a.m.?

Also - - Does anybody that is camping mind if I might stash my doors at their campsite for the day?
                    Money pit!

Comment

• I am still working on the calendar event as we get trail leaders volunteering. I have PM in to Mike asking for details to add to the calendar.

We could also use another trail leader that I can coordinate with so that everyone doesn't leave Peggy Sue's and head up Doran/Odessa both at the same time and/or heading different directions. We are going to have a ton of people on the trail (MJR along with two other clubs!) so we're going to do everything we can to make sure the canyons don't become a big mess.

Also please note there is a general driver's meeting at 8:45. I only need about 5 minutes to thank ya'll for coming, remind you to stay on the trails, remind you that we're not a club, and to be friendly to the BLM Rangers that will be out there on Saturday.

If you group wants to skip this, that's fine, just get with me so that we can be sure you cover all the bases necessary.

Yes, it is common to eat breakfast BOTH days at Peggy Sue's.

Other than that - by the time we get back from the Saturday run and make dinner, start a fire, the day is just about gone
                      Last edited by sarah; 03-12-09, 05:08 PM.
                      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

• Originally posted by sarah View Post
                        I am still working on the calendar event as we get trail leaders volunteering. I have PM in to Mike asking for details to add to the calendar.

We could also use another trail leader that I can coordinate with so that everyone doesn't leave Peggy Sue's and head up Doran/Odessa both at the same time and/or heading different directions. We are going to have a ton of people on the trail (MJR along with two other clubs!) so we're going to do everything we can to make sure the canyons don't become a big mess.

Also please note there is a general driver's meeting at 8:45. I only need about 5 minutes to thank ya'll for coming, remind you to stay on the trails, remind you that we're not a club, and to be friendly to the BLM Rangers that will be out there on Saturday.

If you group wants to skip this, that's fine, just get with me so that we can be sure you cover all the bases necessary.

Yes, it is common to eat breakfast BOTH days at Peggy Sue's.

Other than that - by the time we get back from the Saturday run and make dinner, start a fire, the day is just about gone
                        Sent you a PM. Let me know if you want more info.

I apologize to everyone about the confusion of the driver's meeting time on Saturday. The idea was to have everyone meet as a whole at 8:45am. I just didn't check the main page before I posted.

I'm not so sure that I will be capable of an early start on Sunday. I'm thinking that I may sleep in some. :wink:

[/COLOR]

Comment

• [QUOTE=rat patrol;125023]
                          Originally posted by Malachi View Post

Uhhhh, how are you going to get all those stock Jeeps in that tiny liitle hole?????
                          I never said that there wouldn't be some rock rash. I'm thinkin' a running start and some grease might get us through! :gun:

[/COLOR]

Comment

• Originally posted by Malachi View Post
                            Sent you a PM. Let me know if you want more info.

I apologize to everyone about the confusion of the driver's meeting time on Saturday. The idea was to have everyone meet as a whole at 8:45am. I just didn't check the main page before I posted.

I'm not so sure that I will be capable of an early start on Sunday. I'm thinking that I may sleep in some. :wink:
                            No worries! I'll update the calendar page. THANKS for leading the run. If anyone else wants to lead one too, we may need it!
                            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

• Sarah,
                              If I go, I may just hang out at camp saturday and go play on the GateKeeper and take a run over to Wall Street. Just cuz what you said; the trails are gonna be packed, so maybe I'll just hang out. But if you need a trail leader and noone else wants to I might be willing. I'll need all my strength for Saturday night. So are we getting a stripper for Brian?
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• Hey if you guys are going to run gatekeeper and wall street. I think I will try and show up for that. It's been awhile since I've done them.
                                IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Working...
                                X