Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yulp! That would be Ouray in Colorado! It should be a good trip. I wish it was Norway Brett, for now I'll be happy with my trip here and my stop in Germany on the way back.
    USMC F&AM

Comment

• How far is that from Aspen? I am putting together a ski trip mid Feb for my 36th bday... you and your girl are welcome to join! Norway is much more fun in the summer.... 24 hours of daylight vs. about 3-4 hours of pink sky now..

Comment

• Nice, I can't do anything else in February, but thank you very much for the invite. I already have a Vegas trip, KOH, and a trip to Mammoth planned then I'm headed back to Tel Aviv in March for a couple months.

Anyone want to rent my Jeep to keep her company while I'm gone?
        USMC F&AM

Comment

• Did some more work to the Jeep, thought I'd post up a video to show everyone what I've been up to.

Let me know your thoughts.

http://youtu.be/hWv8RQZl0Eg
          USMC F&AM

Comment

• I liked your jeep better when it was RED.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

• ROTFLMAO! Can I borrow it? LOL

Comment

• Haha, glad you guys like the new look
                USMC F&AM

Comment

• Chris you took all the good ideas I had for my Jeep!!! hahah

Comment

• You've got style! I really like the matching jacket. Hows your girl gonna handle it, when tons of chicks are gonna be throw'n themselves at you, when your drive'n that beauty?
                    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

• Haha, glad you guys are enjoying my new setup No, but seriously... I did do some work to the Jeep, I'm just too embarrased by my Saw Zaw cuts to show.

For those interested, here's a link to the thread and alot of funny comments. Oh, photos too....
                      http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...Looking-Fender
                      USMC F&AM

Comment

• I think you should have stuck to the "no more mods until after the wedding."

Nothing some corner armor can't fix.
                        "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

• Ya... I'm going to work with a guy out here, comp cut it then get corner guards made that have fender flares built in to cover the tires. I dunno. We'll see.
                          USMC F&AM

Comment

• It definitely gives it that special hillbilly character. get a grinder or a jigsaw and round the rear off so it doesn't look quite as bad, or start dressing like a hillbilly might be easier

Comment

• Thanks! I do sort of dress like a hillybilly at times, I am from rural Ohio, and my lady is from Kansas... Nah, I think I'll fix it. There is a guy out here that has been kind enough to offer up his services in teaching me and helping to fix the Jeep with some more cutting and corner guards. His fee for all of this?? I supply the materials and beverages I think I like Az.

So! That being the case, and with me getting a raise and a bonus on the 20th... What are folks thoughts on this?

Comp Cut the tub, coming down at a 45 down to the tailgate corner. Install some round LED tails up high and move the filler nozzle to the top of the inner wheel well. Move the inner wheel well up to even with the top of the tub; I'm thinking I could go to 37s then with no rubbing. Then, for the armor, I want to make corner guards that will follow the same lines of the body that we cut, but put a flare out on them that will cover the tires all the way around, in the back it will probably come out to a point about even with the spare tire carrier then jet out 90 from the Jeep, like a wide body type of look. Any thoughts on this?

I'm mostly just wanting to fix my screw up, armor the corners, and leave myself enough room to go to 37s and a stretch when I upgrade the rear axle... I know it is going to be alot of work, but for the price, and the learning experience I think it will be well worth it. First I have to replace a sending unit in the XTerra so it will pass Az smog. Bleh.
                              USMC F&AM

Comment

• Since you run on the somewhat geeky side of the hillbilly family try out what you have in mind in photoshop so you can look at what you have in mind. Cutting the tub up is one thing cutting the fender wells is cool, but your tub starts loosing integrity, so now you have to mess with strengthening the rear so the rear of the cage has something to rest on. Would be easier to get some XJ spring to give you the possibility of a stretch put some shackles on the beefed up rear crossmember gives you enough lift for 37" s and some stretch and it's all good for less work.

Kinda helped cobble this together for a friend. Welding the front and rear crossmembers putting the springs in mounting the axles and figuring out shock mounts and welding those in place took me about 14 hours.
                                With a bit of fine tuning you end up with a low buck setup that works pretty well. You can reuse the front spring mounts for the rear springs so axle alignment is a none issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X