Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally; the build begins...

Well I've finally reached the day to start my build. I've had my YJ for about 10 months and feel that my driving abillity is now up to snuff enough to rate me actually building the Jeep up and tackling more difficult trails. Here's how the parts list breaks down:

Deaver 4.5" Lift Springs
    Bilstein adjustable shocks all around
    4:11s for the D30/D35
    Ramsey Enterprises Winch
    I-Hack Front Bumper (see my photobucket, I just cut it off)
    Rear Bumper that I'm working on getting welded up with a friend, my design on it
    Full Cage with seat brackets
    5pt Harness on the seats (This may wait a bit depending on the cage)
    33x12.5 M/T's on Rock Lok rims

I'm still wrestling with E-Lockers or a spool and a lunchbox option. I'd love to have the option of trying to run things open open first; then lock in. Anyone have input on reliability and such??

Thus far this is what I've gotten together and plan to build. I'm still unsure of when I'll do the cage and seats since I suspect I'll get an itch to go out and play as soon as I have the lift finished.
    Last edited by TipsE-Z; 07-08-11, 11:59 AM.
    USMC F&AM

Great start! Congratulations.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

Is this gonna be trail only jeep? Spools suck on the street and could cause some brakeage. If it's not too late I'd go with 48's. I had a 4 banger yj on 33's. These gears were great off road and doable on the street. Good luck with the build.

I remember you were looking for some guys to wheel with in AZ. If your near Mesa, I don't know where chandler is. Check out a group called Pucker Factor. They're good guys. They're on facebook.
      It was like that when I got here.

Comment

I wouldn't lock that D35, especially with 33s. I've heard of too many failures once locked.
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

The 4:11s are a go for now; I figure that i shouldn't need 48s if I don't run 35s. In regards to locking the D35... Well, I've heard a lot of mixed reviews. I've also heard that I'd be fine at only a 33, and not a 35. I figure that as long as I don't drive like an idiot I should be fine. It's not often, here on the West Coast, that we really need momentum or wheel speed to get over something. Plus, I'm not a big fan of going fast anyways. My joy lies in the slow technical stuff that scares you a bit when you place a tire on a rock wrong or slide down it a bit Guess I'm one of those adrenaline junkies....
          USMC F&AM

Comment

I you are going to lock the Dana 35, you really should change the axle shafts. Superior Evolutions are not that expensive. Since the axles need to be pulled to install the locker, it's a great time to upgrade 'em!
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

I agree with Tumblweed. No Spools. Not on a daily driver. Otherwise sounds cool dude.
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

As they have said, a spool on the street just eats tires up three times as fast. I don't like a 35 because of the c-clip. But some people say the super 35 works. I have seen to many chromoly axles in them break. They don't even make a good anchor. If your going to build a jeep do it to run 35" tires an then you don't do it twice.
                IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Safety First. Do the cage and 5-point.
                  All slow and no show

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I agree with you Curtis that I should build to run 35s so that I always have the option. The Super 35 is what I'd really like to do but just can't seem to cough up the cash for it honestly. I think I've decided that for now I'm going to get the lift on, redo the interior, and get the cage built before I start locking things and swapping axles. Those of you that have wheeled with me know how I am; I'll try anything open open. I think I really want to run open for a bit with the lift on just to further fine tune my driving, then go for the lockers.

So E Lockers??? Any good stories? Any bad stories? I keep thinking that if I leave the lunchbox up front and do an E Locker rear that could still give me some challenge, but still have a locker for the worst of times (or best depending on which seat you're in).
                    USMC F&AM

Comment

I know you've heard it before, instead of investing in a Super 35 kit, why not just keep your eyes open for an 8.8? I know you know the benefits, plus not having to build it. The best thing is that waiting to find the best deal is FREE. You will get a lot more axle already built for a whole lot less. Plus, you will likely be able to trade stuff to get the price down. Try that with any axle manufacturer.
                      God forgives, rocks don't
                      -sons of thunder

Comment

True; I've actually been able to get a great deal on a Super 35 with the gears I want via a fellow square here on MJR. I suppose I'll eventually do the 8.8 sometime down the road, but I imagine that day will be with my son and a busy garage.
                        USMC F&AM

Comment

Spend some time talking to AZ jeepers and scrounging their forums to see what works well in the area you live and wheel in and go drom there. Instead of doing a Super 35, spend your money on building a nice locked 8.8, why spend money twice, our hobby is expensive enough as it is

Comment

I have heard the d35 housing is extremely weak and trying to build it is just a waste of money.The money you put into one can be spent on a 8.8 which can be found for reasonably cheap at the local pnp.

Comment

sounds like a good fun build but im going to be honest with you my 8.8 with 4.10s fromt the jy and the install kit from ruffstuff was still under the re gear price of the d35. once you try to go over tougher obstacles that 35 is going to give. even with a truss and the super 35 kit the 35 still is weak. just trying to help you out and not see you waste your cash. a locked 35 is bad news. there is a reason why people up grade and give the 35 away. 8.8 with 4.10s is 190 from pap with warranty and the ruffstuff kit is 100 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X