Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ugh.. I can't believe I typed that... i was quoting Apocalypse now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBksHaTQCbU

Comment

Ditto on the no Tera-low. 241 or atlas.

As for axle gears, go at least 456. If you have a 4 popper, go 488. I'm currently running 411's with 35's and a 5 speed. It works fine, on the street. Oh 6cyl. But I have 4to1 low ranger. When Crawling I wouldn't mind a lower axle ratio, but it still crawls great.
      It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
        Ditto on the no Tera-low. 241 or atlas.

As for axle gears, go at least 456. If you have a 4 popper, go 488. I'm currently running 411's with 35's and a 5 speed. It works fine, on the street. Oh 6cyl. But I have 4to1 low ranger. When Crawling I wouldn't mind a lower axle ratio, but it still crawls great.
        Actually 4.88's work pretty well on the street add a 4;1 transfercase and she crawls pretty sweet. On another note stretching it with some xj leaf springs is a fairly easy proposition also. Welded some spring mounts on an a old YJ for a friend a few weeks back stretches them out in a hurry makes a little Jeep look like a big Jeep pretty quick add a Astro steering box and you are ready for some real trouble lol

Comment

Haha, I'm not that crazy I'm really happy with my Deaver Springs, and I know I can get a lot more flex out of them with some better shocks installed. I think I'll probably stick with the 4.88s I currently have and maybe get a new T-Case down the road. I checked out the data/info on Brett's latest and that thing is a beast; just out of my budget and probably over kill for what I intend to do. My goal is to keep my rig one that I can drive on a 5 hour trip to a trail, wheel it hard, then drive it back home. I'll probably never be able to run the Hammers or anything real intense like it but I should be fine to do Rubicon and Moab trails I think; that's my main goal.
          USMC F&AM

Comment

I have said that a time or two in the past. 4 wheelin is very addicting and after a while the search for bigger is on.You can only run the same trails so many times. Now it's fun again to take a put put run up in Big Bear or Cougar Buttes. Darn Jeep drives pretty darn nice on the street and takes one heck of a lot of Hammer abuse in stride. Might as well Start a build with a long term goal in there somewhere that way, you can build it up incrementally

Comment

So Art what are you going to build after you run all the Hammer trails? I think maybe a 700HP race car?
              IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

I guess after I masage it some more this coming summer, start heading out to AZ or New Mexico they have some pretty rad trails there.
                Area BFE has some really cool stuff too

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                  I guess after I masage it some more this coming summer, start heading out to AZ or New Mexico they have some pretty rad trails there.
                  Area BFE has some really cool stuff too
                  Look into the table mesa area in az. Got a buddy out there. Says there's hammer level trails out there.
                  It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Table Mess is great. It reminds me of JV, but with lava rock. Florence Junction is great too.
                    USMC F&AM

Comment

• Hey TipsE-Z your YJ is really looking good!
                      You can definitely have first bibs on my OX locker! I'm just waiting to get my "daily driver" back so I can work on the jeep

Comment

• Thanks! I hear ya. I waited until I knew I could afford to have the Jeep down for a month before I started really tearing into the Jeep.
                        USMC F&AM

Comment

• What up Chris? Any progress?

Comment

• Not much Brett, I'm over seas for work right now so the Jeep is sitting still. When I get back I'm planning to get some the 4.88s and front locker tossed in as I'm going to be going to Ourway this summer for a quick trip. I'll be getting the chromos from you put in with the gears as well, and I can't wait to actually be able to use 5th gear again! How is your rig now that you're at a new stopping point with it?
                            USMC F&AM

Comment

• I have put together a baby build thread in the 'custom fab' section... nothing too sexy yet.. I should have some pics of the stretch tear down from Brother's 4x4 by tomorrow afternoon.

Where is "Ourway"? If you meant Norway.. I am there!!! and will come meet you! I was stationed in Tronheim in 02.. amazing place!

Comment

• Would that be Ouray in Colorado? From the pics I have seen some mighty pretty country to frolic around in

Comment

Working...
                                X