Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well... the shakedown run is complete and we're ready to roll! We took it down to Box Cyn, about 45 minutes south of town, and it did great! We've run Box before, and it is rated a 2.5 out here. Easy trail, but very scenic. Lots of optional things to play on to test every bit of the lift out.

This is our first rock to play on, sadly this is when I realized that the shocks get fully compressed long before the springs are done flexing. If we wanted to fully flex the springs we'd have to run 33s and get the bypass shocks a bit sooner.

Here first though is when we had 31s and a shackle lift.

Now the real lift, plus the shackles.

But it still works pretty well.

Some of Box Cyn's beauty.

Last edited by TipsE-Z; 10-30-11, 12:39 PM. Reason: Added a photo
    USMC F&AM

Comment

If you still have the stock spring plates, swap the fronts for the opposite rears (driver's front to passenger rear and passenger front to driver's rear). You'll have to slot them a bit. You'll be able to use the original sway bar studs to mount your rear shock lowers. You'll gain about an inch of clearance and you'll never tear them off.
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

How does this equate to an inch of clearance? I'm really curious about it though, but I'm also a little off about going much higher.
        USMC F&AM

Comment

If you look at where the D35 shock brackets hang and compare it to the location of the sway bar mounts, it's pretty close to an inch higher. Also consider that the bottom of the shock will be moving in a forward arc - more directly under the top mount. You gain a little bit there too. Regardless, it's strong. I had a D35 bracket rip off just from street driving. Not to mention it makes it real easy to mount shocks when you get your 44.
          -sons of thunder

Comment

Goodies

Hi Chris,
            I will be taking my fuel tank armor, corners and flares off in a month. The fta is Warn, and the corners are smutty built. All will fit ur yj nicely. Depending how the new corners fit my yj I may be pulling off the rock sliders off too and go w the matching genright ones. Let me know if you want any or all of these items and I will hold on to them for you. We can figure out a fair price down the road.

B

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
              Hi Chris,
              I will be taking my fuel tank armor, corners and flares off in a month. The fta is Warn, and the corners are smutty built. All will fit ur yj nicely. Depending how the new corners fit my yj I may be pulling off the rock sliders off too and go w the matching genright ones. Let me know if you want any or all of these items and I will hold on to them for you. We can figure out a fair price down the road.

B
              Chris, Make sure you get a deal on those rockers. He put few new scratches in them, on saturday. LOL
              It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Haha, I shall! I always try to buy from the scratch and dent section. Or is this more of a floor model?
                USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
                  Haha, I shall! I always try to buy from the scratch and dent section. Or is this more of a floor model?
                  We may need to start a contest to see who has more recycled parts on their rig. Then see if we can get "green" tax credits for our commitment to keeping parts out of landfills.
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

My parts always go for a premium... They are Scratch n Sniff... Smells like... Victory!!!!!!!!

Ya know, some day this war is going to be over....

Comment

What war?? I'm confused now? Haha. Let me know what all you have Brett and when it's available as I'd have to come pick it up or have my sister grab it and drive it out in her truck.

In other news... I'm at a crossroads here folks and I'd like some thoughts. I was originally going to do 4.88s and leave the T-Case alone, but the more I think about it the better off I'm thinking I'll be with 4.11s and a 4.1 Teralow mod to the T-Case

Thoughts?
                      USMC F&AM

Comment

Numerically, 35's and 4.10's could work... If tire weight ,width and aerodynamics were not an issue. If it's a daily driver, you'd be better to go 4.56 or 4.88 for driveability. Another option - this probably won't surprise you - is go for a 6 speed. It'll drop your first gear ratio from 3.83 to 4.46. Let's compare... 3.83x2.72.x4.1=42.71, 4.46x2.72x4.1=49.74. Let's work it backwards to see what gears you would need to get a 49.74 ratio. 49.74/2.27/3.83=4.77. Pretty darn close to 4.88.
                        How much to buy two sets of gears and have them set up? How much downtime? Play your cards right and you can get a 6 speed for a song. I found mine from a guy who wanted air shocks so bad, he dropped the price to $300. I sold some gift cards I won for $200, paid $100 cash and then sold my 5 speed and bellhousing a week after installation for $250. Downtime was just over 14 hours and zero setup cost.
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
                          What war?? I'm confused now? Haha. Let me know what all you have Brett and when it's available as I'd have to come pick it up or have my sister grab it and drive it out in her truck.

In other news... I'm at a crossroads here folks and I'd like some thoughts. I was originally going to do 4.88s and leave the T-Case alone, but the more I think about it the better off I'm thinking I'll be with 4.11s and a 4.1 Teralow mod to the T-Case

Thoughts?
                          Terralow works, but sucks balls. The thing howls like a banshee, you are not supposed to run it over 10 mph in low range.
                          I broke it with my 4 banger, was fixed under warranty, but still. Your better choices are a Rubicon transfercase or an Atlas.
                          I love my 5:1 Atlas was well worth the money. The Rubicon 4:1 transfercase is the second best option, works very well also and is a lot more affordable

Comment

241 would be my first choice. I have run a Tera-low for 7 years with no problem. I would say Atlas is overbuild for what your going to do with your jeep.
                            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

4.88 and 4:1. Stay away from Terralow like Art said. Check with JB Conversions. Much better product.

X2 on Curtis' comment about the Atlas.
                              Check out .

Comment

Hi Chris, I was quoting Full Metal Jacket.... keep up Marine

here is what I am doing: http://www.high-impact.net/Klune-V_Bronco_D20_combo.htm (I fixed the link so it works now)

This will give you the ability to run front or rear wheel drive in high and low and well as give you 1-1, 2.31-1,4.0-1, or 9.something-1 if you run both the TC and Klune in low ranger.
                                The Klune runs about $1800. You can find a Dana 20 for around $200. The complete unit is only one inch longer than the NP 231. You can get twin sticks from AA or order what ya need from www.wildhorses.com

This is still cheaper than a 4 speed Atlas.

my 2 cents...
                                Last edited by vwtipeii; 11-16-11, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X