Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have some 33 MTs that are getting tossed on. I guess I could run 35s but for tires on the street 33s make more sense. I will most likely get some 35 Bias Ply for the real fun. The cage is being discussed with a shop here in Az. I'm hoping to just finish the "Family Cage" and do a frame tie in only in the front (for now).
    USMC F&AM

Comment

Very cool pics. Makes me feel nistalgic (I can't spell) for my JY. I also noticed how "street" your tires are on the V-notch. Should be a huge difference, in traction, when your done.

Don't sell your build short. Its always cool to see a jeep transform,and be come more capable then it was. Enjoy the build.
      It was like that when I got here.

Comment

I may be stretching my YJ.. in that case... if you are looking for armor for the rear corners plus tube flares...mine are practically brand new from Smitty Built. If I stretch I have to scrap the whole set up and go with the Genright Kit. You can see the pics in the movie i posted in the trail report section I love redoing things on my jeep and giving money away to 4wheelparts

Comment

Have fun with your build! As well as you did in Cougar Buttes with the jeep in stock mode, I can't wait to see what you do with a little more build up!

Comment

Joe and Jonah; thanks a million! I'm sure that the Jeep is going to be awesome. I think I've finally realized that it's going to be down for at least two months so that I can do things right, slow, and try to make it the best it can be.

Brett, if you do the stretch... consider them sold. (plus then I have an excuse to head back out to OC for a weekend)

Still haven't cut my fenders, I can hardly draw a straight line with a ruler, let a lone a jig saw... This should be interesting once I get the nerve up to cut away.
            USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
              Still haven't cut my fenders, I can hardly draw a straight line with a ruler, let a lone a jig saw... This should be interesting once I get the nerve up to cut away.
              Use blue painters tape to set your lines, and as a guide, to keep your cut as straight as possible. Let the blade do the work. Don't force or push to hard. It'll come out great.

Comment

Well... I finally did it today. The misses, the dog, a buddy, and a twelve pack of other friends joined in and we went to work. When you see it up close you can tell which side I cut first, but no matter... It is a temporary solution to rubbing and looks until tube fenders come my way.

Here's the prep work for the expected line

Here's the 'unexpected' line....

I went to work to see what magic could be had

This is how side 1 came out; not too bad from a distance... "Good from a far, far from good"

This is the final look from the front. I wanted the YJ to actually look a bit more mean and menacing... I'm not sure if I got it but I'm happy.
                USMC F&AM

Comment

Looks great! Take a flap wheel to the edges. That can help straighten out your lines, and take the sharpness off the fender. The mean look will come with the bigger tires.

Comment

Well... I'm still slowly plugging away at the build. I got some U-Bolts fab'd up today (the original replacements were too short... Underestimated just how thick a 9 leaf spring pack was). The Jeep failed SMOG here, which I'm trying to get done before I lift it just in case anything weird happens. So today I dropped the tank and fixed a bolt on the main seal that was broken, resealed everything and buttoned it back up.

I did learn a lesson today as well, felt pretty stupid when I realized the issue too. The sending unit wasn't going back down into the tank, I had a 1 inch gap at the top even with the unit seated properly in the tank. After scratching my head for about 30 minutes (and consuming a couple more drinks) the realization came that maybe... Just maybe! It could have something to do with the rather sizable dent in the skid as the skid was still mounted to the tank. Pulled the skid off and the sending unit dropped right in... Amazing Went ahead and painted the skid after beating the dent out with an 8lb sledge. I put some reflective clear coat on the part that is seen from the rear for a bit better visibility on the roads and trails.

Looks like I need to put a couple more coats on it (I admit that I rushed to get the tank back in) but you can see some of the reflective shine on it I think.

The interior sanding started today as well... Hope to have it cleaned up and looking decent by the end of the weekend... I can feel the Hump N Bump pressure mounting now.
                    USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post

So E Lockers??? Any good stories? Any bad stories? I keep thinking that if I leave the lunchbox up front and do an E Locker rear that could still give me some challenge, but still have a locker for the worst of times (or best depending on which seat you're in).
                      I'm running an E-Locker in the front with 33's and my uncle runs one in the front with 35's. I recently snapped a U-joint and drove it back and forth until the the broken u joint cleared out completely. When I took the axle shaft out, the shaft was twisted from the teeth area. The locker E-Locker is powerful. Just becareful not to turn it on while moving.
                      Good luck with your build. We're currently building a 93 YJ and going with Spring over Axles from Rubicon Express.
                      Have fun!

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Thanks for the feedback on the E-Locker Bash. My dad hated his so much he unloaded them and put in Detroits, sadly this was before I had a Jeep again

I decided today I would do some painting, (I know, my build isn't near as interesting as some... That's why we're in General Tech and not the Custom/Fab area) the interior and maybe some parts of the frame just to sort of spruce it up a bit. I guess I view all of this work really as nothing more than Corrosion Control since as soon as I'm done with this build I'm probably going to attempt to drive over anything and everything I can find, thus making all of this nothing more than very scratched up, mud covered rust protection... Never the less I went to work anyways.

This is my first attempt at Brush On "Rhino Liner" from Rustoleom. This stuff is pretty horrible but, like I said above...

I got the back of the tub done today after work, and Kalah sprayed some clear coat on it in hopes of that being the key to keeping it black, and not brownish black. I'm hoping the clear coat highlights disappear as it dries, if not I'll be wet sanding a bit before we rattle can on more clear.

I figured since I've got these nice, new, shiny black leaf springs, I should make the rest of the general area match as well.

We'll see how it all looks when the work is done and a bath is received... For now I suppose I'm making progress, though I feel like it's horizontal, not vertical.
                        USMC F&AM

Comment

You got to start somewhere Chris. Keep it up. I used Herculiner for my tub and it has held up very well.
                          Check out .

Comment

Chris,
                            Looking real good. Take your time. If you get it right now you'll be much happier down the trail. When I (and Chuck will confirm this) estimated time for my build, I figured 3-4 months. It took twice that. But I have never been happier with my Jeep. You'll find some things you want to do may not be so good after you start; just be flexible and ready to make changes where needed. Looks like you have a good support group so that makes it a lot easier too. Keep the pics coming; I'm pullin for you!
                            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks guys. At this point (since I don't know how to do differential work) I think I'll be putting the lift on for now and running the stock drive line for another month or so while I have the rear end assymbled, and the perches welded up on it for the proper angles. I'm sure I'll post some more pictures and details on what I do tonight.
                              USMC F&AM

Comment

Looking good,Just keep at it Chris. As Kurt said it takes time and changes on the way.
                                IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Working...
                                X