Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking good. If you look around in the junk yards you should be able to find the slotted rear bracket for your alt. Years ago it wasn't unusual to get an alternator in with a cracked bracket, especially if the rear bolt was loose.

What does the hose clamp on the alt hold?

Scott
    Come to the dark side.....
    We have Cookies!

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
      IIRC that can actually happen if you overfilled the TC. I had that happen to my 300 once.
      Ah, thanks! I'll check the level.

Originally posted by Zoobi View Post
      Looking good. If you look around in the junk yards you should be able to find the slotted rear bracket for your alt. Years ago it wasn't unusual to get an alternator in with a cracked bracket, especially if the rear bolt was loose.

What does the hose clamp on the alt hold?

Scott
      The hose clamp holds on the the sensor for my Tachometer gauge, I wanted a working tach. It's a little ghetto, but it works. Just have to calibrate the gauge with a hand-held laser RPM gun using a reflective sticker on the crank pulley.
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
      www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

• Guess who broke their rear axle shaft on the street. :confused2 #DieselTorque

I'm not going to fix the D41, I'm just gonna park it until I find an offset D44.

[COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

• Ouch! Sorry to here that Daniel. I hope that you find the new axle soon.
          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
          [/COLOR]

Comment

• I can hardly wait to see what kind of art you make from it!
            God forgives, rocks don't
            -sons of thunder

Comment

• I've already got a use for the short end! I want to make a lead hammer to pound on things that I don't want to mar up or hurt. And use this as the handle. Keep the splines on the end of the hammer just for looks (and for grip?)

Last edited by daniel_buck; 07-14-15, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• Wow. I hope that you were close to home when that broke.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason View Post
                  Wow. I hope that you were close to home when that broke.
                  less than 2 miles, LOL! But I was all the way in Burbank the day before, glad it didn't happen then!

Comment

• Picked up the rear axle today, I think I may have doubled the value of my Flatty, judging from the amount of sales tax I had to pay to the city of Corona.

Thank you RobertK, for the axle

and some of the goodies too:
                    Last edited by daniel_buck; 12-30-15, 11:48 PM.

Comment

• Got the brakes and shafts installed, and spring perches welded on, and the 1st few coats of spray paint. (looks glossy, but it dries flat)

I'm happy to say that I don't need to lengthen or shorten the driveshaft, it fits perfectly!

I need to make the bottom plates that the U bolts get bolted to, I can't re-use the original one, so I'll be making those.

For the diff/pinion skid plate, I'm probably going to either make (or just buy one) a skid that bolts to the housing. Seems to be a pretty popular item for the 9"

Comment

• Gloriously excessive. AWESOME!
                        God forgives, rocks don't
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

• Excessive would be a truss on top, bottom, and back

Comment

• That looks nice! Back on the road yet?

Comment

• Almost!! It's under it's own weight again, with both axles under there. I moved the rear axle backwards 1". The D44 up front must have a longer pinion than the factory D25, the front shaft was a bit to long. So instead of shortening the front shaft by 1/2" or so, I moved the front axle forward 1".

These are 31" tires, the tires on order are 33". I think if I get the cut in the rear fender done nicely the stance will look pretty good.

I'm gonna go scour some build threads for some ideas where folks have cut the rear wheel well opening a bit, I've never done any bodywork, don't want it to look too hacked up

Last edited by daniel_buck; 01-18-16, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Cut out some card board to what looks like the cut you want. Paint it black and tape it on. That should help the eyeballs see what you will end up with.

I enjoy watching you build this.
                                Rich

Comment

Working...
                                X