Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I mentioned that I put a manual boost controller on the Willys. Well I took it out for a drive this evening and decided to goose the throttle every chance I could get, just to see how things hold up for 15 minutes of heavy throttle. See how the water and exhaust temperatures look, and just to have fun

Man, this little thing moves pretty darn good! 1st gear doesn't build much boost, maybe 5-6psi cause I'm only in 1st gear for about 1 second, hah! 2nd gear if I'm heavy on the throttle will now get full boost if I push it (14-15psi), and 3rd gear and 3rd+OD will always get full boost now when I goose the throttle, flat or up hill.

It's running good, and I have a huge smile on my face as I passed a TJ and two JKs on some short flat stretches and 1 up hill road Cruising at around 50mph on flat road is still around 4-5psi, and 600 degrees exhaust temperature. Nice and safe, no problems there. I'm tempted to turn the fuel screw out a bit more, but I don't want black smoke when I hammer the throttle, and I really don't need more power. Maybe I'll give it a slight turn though :gun:
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

• Finally getting around to putting a passenger side mirror. Now that I can actually drive in the left lane, it's time to see who's behind me in the right lane. haha!

Not an exact match of the original drivers side mount, but it's a similar design. Using 1/8" thick flatbar, and a short section of round tube for the arm to swing forward and backwards to adjust when the bolt is loosened. Will finish it tomorrow.

[COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

• Got the bump stops adjusted, and the wheel spacers on. This SHOULD keep the rear tires from rubbing the inner fender well while offroad, now I need to test them

The tires stick out a little bit from the body line, but that's fine, it's still pretty much flush. And when the axle flexes, the tire will still stuff inside the fender I think. There was plenty of room without the spacers.

And the mirror.

Comment

• Looks good. Doubtful if any LEO will bother you with that much stick-out.
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

• Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
            Looks good. Doubtful if any LEO will bother you with that much stick-out.
            LOL I'm not worried about that, I just like the flush look.

Comment

• Looking good. I see that window frame isn't getting any better. Damn old Jeeps. Oh well, it adds character.
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• So long as it doesn't fall apart, I'm fine with it, haha

Although I do kinda want to make a new one, when I have time.

Comment

• started back working on the willys stuff again now that I have a bit more room to spread out in the garage.

I've got the transmission and transfer case out, I'm swapping out the T90 for a T98 4 speed. I'll probably have to move the motor forward about 2 inches, which shouldn't be a problem. And it will keep the motor off of the firewall, so when I take the motor out I'll patch up the holes in the firewall.

Last night I took the overdrive off the transfer case, then separated the transmission from the transfer case. I'll clean up the TC and then get the new transmission bolted up. Hopefully next weekend I'll get the new T98 bolted up to the TC with all the adapters and what not, then work on pulling the motor.

Comment

• Wow, it never ends does it? Looks awesome Daniel. I want a ride man...

Comment

• me to, haha! I can't wait to get it driving again.

I guess I forgot to post on here about the clutch. A few months back, the clutch cracked (in the center), and I took the transmission out of the jeep to replace the clutch. While I was at it, I figured since I knew I eventually wanted to put a 4 speed in there, this looked like the right time to do it. But then I got busy, and haven't been able to work on it for the passed few months.

While I've got the motor out of the jeep (need to remove it because I have to move it forward a few inches) I'm going to take the time to patch up all the holes in the firewall, and strip and paint (or maybe even powder coat) all the brackets and stuff that I had to make for the diesel swap. Now that I know they all work, and don't need any more modification. Some of them I left bare metal (dumb, I know), and I'm going to send off the exhaust turbo adapter that I made to get jet coated. I'll re-do the exhaust (due to the engine moving) with slightly larger tubing, and I'll probably end up making a new cross member under the transmission, hopefully something that doesn't stick as far down as the factory cross member.

Then I'll swing by your place and give ya a ride

Actually, I may want to get your eyes on the jeep sometime soon anyway, I want to do a manual saginaw steering upgrade, but I want to use a reverse saginaw box, so it doesn't stick out infront of the grill. Gonna be needing some opinions on that from more experienced jeepers here shortly

And if anyone needs a T90 transmission, I have one
                      Last edited by daniel_buck; 09-30-14, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• Question for folks!

I'm going to be making a winch plate, just a real simple one with a bend in it for the fairlead mount. What thickness should I use? is 1/4" overkill? I'll be boxing the front of the frame near the cross member as well.

Similar to this:

Comment

• Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                          Question for folks!

I'm going to be making a winch plate, just a real simple one with a bend in it for the fairlead mount. What thickness should I use? is 1/4" overkill? I'll be boxing the front of the frame near the cross member as well.

Similar to this:

1/4". No doubt.

Comment

• Do you mean no doubt it's over kill?

Or no doubt it's the right size?

I'll be wrapping the plate around the outside vertical surface of the frame as well. Probably two bolts on top of each frame rail, and two on each side. 8 total. Are 3/8" bolts large enough for something like this?

When it comes to making things from scratch, I never know what sizes are sufficient

Comment

• Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                              Do you mean no doubt it's over kill?

Or no doubt it's the right size?

I'll be wrapping the plate around the outside vertical surface of the frame as well. Probably two bolts on top of each frame rail, and two on each side. 8 total. Are 3/8" bolts large enough for something like this?

When it comes to making things from scratch, I never know what sizes are sufficient

1/4" is what you want to use.

Comment

• Well, the motor is out!

I'm having some issues with the transmission adapters, hopefully I hear back on them soon. In the mean time, I'm going to work on patching up all the un-used holes in the firewall, and start thinking about manual saginaw.

Any ideas for manual saginaw boxes? I'd rather not have something that goes forward of the cross-member/grill, I've read about reverse saginaw boxes that extend the steering arm behind them, instead of infront of them, I think that's what I'd like to do. I wonder how involved this will be. The steering is definitely something I don't want to mickey mouse

Comment

Working...
                                X