Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is going to be the coolest soapbox derby machine that I ever saw. Just in time for Flugtag.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
      That is going to be the coolest soapbox derby machine that I ever saw. Just in time for Flugtag.
      Add 4 baby stroller wheels and it's of to the soapbox races

Comment

Frame is finished, all the fish plates are in and the tub fits like a glove.

20130518_154829 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

20130518_154842 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

20130518_154851 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

20130518_154859 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

20130518_154906 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

20130518_154916 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

More to come
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Looks good. I like the custom touches. But then I guess, thats why you make a custom frame. As a new welder, and new to metal working. Are there different grades of square tube, like there is with round tubing?, If so, what grade did you use for the frame?
          It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
            Looks good. I like the custom touches. But then I guess, thats why you make a custom frame. As a new welder, and new to metal working. Are there different grades of square tube, like there is with round tubing?, If so, what grade did you use for the frame?
            [COLOR="#800000"]Actually, making the frame was really the lesser of 2 evils for us. If we used the frame we have, we would have needed to box it in and that would require a lot of cutting plates and fitting each of them into the frame. This seemed simpler as we are going to raise the body mounts, transmission cross-member & possibly engine mounts as well anyway. We would have had to cut off the old mounts, make new ones, blah-blah-blah... we just skipped all that and made one the way we wanted it.

I'm not sure about different grades of rectangular tubing... we used 2x4 3/16 wall. Kurt may have a better answer on that.[/COLOR]
            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post

[COLOR="#800000"]If I understand the term correctly... What do ya think about "boatsides"??[/COLOR]

Comment

Well I thought Nick would have posted some pics but maybe he's waiting till after this weekend. We dropped a 5.7 litre supercharged hemi with 6 speed trans in the frame... oh wait, that was a dream I had. Scratch that.
                We are making a front D44 out of an old CJ D44 and a TJ D30. Taking the inner C's off the D30 and installing them on the D44 to replace to old style C's with the thread in joints, and narrowing it 6 inches to match it up with locking hubs. A super 8.8 goes toward the back. A body lift is coming soon as well. We should have something that looks like a Jeep by the end of Sept. Depending on Nick that is...

Comment

Got some more work done on the CJ this past weekend. It's been coming slowly due to life and work and the fact that Nick is really slow at getting the parts off the old CJ over here. But the body is completely together for mock up. We also have some nice D44 inner C's so I get to keep mine for another project. He should have the dash and some other components here soon. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Comment

sweet! Will be glad to see an update!
                    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Not super exciting but all projects have to start somewhere. This one happens to be starting at the very bottom of a VERY deep hole

The Old D44 CJ version will get upgraded TJ inner C's

20130929_112754 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Front clip fits. The fenders are getting replaced with Ahole Fab fenders. These are just to get the body lined up on the frame for custom body mounts

20130929_112629 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Even with a body lift this will still need some massaging. The tcase is very tall

20130929_112602 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Body fits the frame right on the money

20130929_112553 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

20130929_112537 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

She's coming together (until she comes back apart)

20130929_112523 by MJR RAT, on Flickr

Comment

I like the lil engine that could, that sits underneath

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                          Briggs and stratton horse power. Its whats for dinner. Its gonna be a "pusher"

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                            that's the starter motor, right?
                            [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                            www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                              that's the starter motor, right?
                              No it's not an old Caterpillar dozer

Comment

[COLOR="#800000"]Spent the weekend pulling the old CJ apart to bring parts over for the new-er CJ. Progress may be slow, but it's moving along.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                                X