Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NP 231 replacement with Klune V and Bronco Dana 20 update... stretch soon to follow

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NP 231 replacement with Klune V and Bronco Dana 20 update... stretch soon to follow

I have posted some info on a few other threads about my conversion so I figured I would just put some info in its own thread for those who may care. The hardware has been installed for about a week now. I was able to use my current rear driveshaft as is but had to lengthen my front drive shaft by about 4".

The mounting ring had a bunch of precut holes to "clock" the Klune and TC but of course none of the precut holes lined up correctly so JC had to drill a few more. It appears most of the time has been spent customizing the linkage for the Dana 20. The original instructions recommened going with cable shifters, once those came in JC said they didn't quite work well and we should just use the stock hole for the old NP231 for shifters. I had Wild Horses send a set of dual j shifters and then they would have been sticking out through the floor into my butt through the drivers seat so we ended up settling with a set of Jeep Dana 20 shifters and some custome linkage to make it all come together.

The speedo gear has been a huge pain... 8 pulses apparently for my YJ so we are just splicing a sending unit from the Dana 20 to the existing YJ cable.

Here a few pics of the linkage being fabbed:

The cat is right next to the Klune so we need to make a custom heat shield to keep the Klune from getting fried. The shifter for the klune will be ahead of the dual shifters on the floor to the right of my right foot. I could actually "kick" the Klune into 4to1 if i ever needed vs. reaching down.

I hope to have everything finished and the Jeep back this week and then take it straigt over to Brothers4x4 to start the stretch. There has been too much stress on the rear drive line and the CV joint on the 8.8 is starting to get worn out so I am not going wo wheel it until I fix the suspension, add the curry antirock in the rear and JKS switchblade in the front!

I should be much more stable and capable once this is complete. Next will be a Dana 60 in the front. So that means new wheels all the way around to accommodate for the larger bolt pattern, I may consider a PSC hydro steering upgrade at that time.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Brett
    Last edited by vwtipeii; 01-03-12, 06:09 PM.

Looks like you are going to be a bit lighter in the wallet, but going to end up with a pretty darn nice wheelin Jeep.
    By the way have Brothers 4x4 install a center strap on the front axle, doesn't cost a lot of coin and you will be glad you did.
    Last edited by aw12345; 01-03-12, 08:22 PM.

Comment

That is looking killer Brett. Can't wait to see how it works. Congrats
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

The jeep is gonna kick ass. What about the wingnut behind the wheel. Thats still not right.
        It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
          Looks like you are going to be a bit lighter in the wallet, but going to end up with a pretty darn nice wheelin Jeep.
          By the way have Brothers 4x4 install a center strap on the front axle, doesn't cost a lot of coin and you will be glad you did.
          What is the center strap you are talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
            What is the center strap you are talking about?
            To keep his front end from unloading, his Jeep has a habit of lifting the nose

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
              To keep his front end from unloading, his Jeep has a habit of lifting the nose
              Wont the rear anti-rock, that he's planning, fix that sky seeking nose of his?
              It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Nope it helps being tippy. Coilovers tend to unload and the radius arm front setup does not help it any. Center strap is a cheap and very effective band aid that doesn't limit flex

Comment

The Jeep is finished. I am trying to find a ride up to Sylmar today to pick her up JC said that he can put it low low and walk away, get a cup of coffee, read a magizine, use the bathroom, come back and the Jeep has moved about 5 feet.... the 9.25 low low range is going to be sick out there!

i am considering going to Viking Synthetic winch line n Safety Thimble.. weld a D ring to the front Axle so I can just use the winch to keep the front under control. Hopefully the Switchblade will assist in stabilizing the front end when wheeling as well as the rear currie antirocks.

Anyone feel like driving around LA today???

Comment

One other question... Has anyone ever considered making a roof cargo rack out of aluminium? I don't really want to raise my center of gravity so the idea of a light weight roof rack is appealing... I basically just want it for adding a bunch of Rigid Light Bars on all 4 sides and a set of the cubes on all 4 corners... that way I can light up the night and look like a space ship/techno club when running around at night.

Something kind of like this set up: http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Exterior-Par...&t_pn=W%2fI849

Comment

Have somebody built you one, or modify the aluminum hitch rack that Harbor freight sells.
                      Suck down winch works good, but so does a 30-40 dollar limit strap.
                      Yup the Klune in low low makes for some serious slo go. Your mechanic summed that up pretty well. I guess on the trail you can get out, walk back get a beverage out of the cooler, walk back to the front of the Jeep and hop back in it, without stopping, pretty cool

Comment

Stretch question

Well the stretch is finally starting tomorrow!

I have a few choices to make and I wanted to ask for some feedback. Regarding the rear suspension I am trying to decide between keeping the separate shock and spring setup or going to full coil overs. Besides a lower cost in keeping the current setup what are the various pros n cons w both these setups? I don't want to do this job twice so please let me know your thoughts and previous experiences.

Thanks,
                        B

Comment

None of this Jeep stuff is cheap lol. Coilovers in the rear might just help stability, by getting the rear to flex more evenly with the front.
                          It just takes work to find the right spring. Is not the easiest thing to do but well worth the effort. Some front suspension work to keep the nose down will benefit you more than anything. Coilover front and rear with antirock front and rear, when working well makes a pretty nice setup

Comment

Here is a pic of the finished shifting assebly. It is going to take some getting used to for me. I already tried to shift the TC into 3rd vs. the AX15... whoopsy...

The Klune V shifter is at the top of the picture. The Dana 20 front shifter is on the left and Dana 20 rear shifter is on the right. My AX-15 is on the far right. This is how the shifters will sit for normal 2high freeway and street driving...

i still have a good bit of vibration in the whole assebly when on the road. I even had the TC pop out of 2high into Neutral while decelerating several times on the freeway... not good! I am looking at replacing the stock motor mounts with 1" aftermarket motor mounts from either Currie, Brown Dog, or M.O.R.E. Have any of you had experiece with these brands?

And yes.. I know I have sexy feet!

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
                              Here is a pic of the finished shifting assebly. It is going to take some getting used to for me. I already tried to shift the TC into 3rd vs. the AX15... whoopsy...

The Klune V shifter is at the top of the picture. The Dana 20 front shifter is on the left and Dana 20 rear shifter is on the right. My AX-15 is on the far right. This is how the shifters will sit for normal 2high freeway and street driving...

i still have a good bit of vibration in the whole assebly when on the road. I even had the TC pop out of 2high into Neutral while decelerating several times on the freeway... not good! I am looking at replacing the stock motor mounts with 1" aftermarket motor mounts from either Currie, Brown Dog, or M.O.R.E. Have any of you had experiece with these brands?

And yes.. I know I have sexy feet!
                              Vibration if you didn't have it before the rework, then there is a good change that the driveline angles are off or the trans, klune or transfercase is hitting the tunnel or the tranny rubber mount is some how hitting metal. The popping out of gear could very well be an adjustment problem

Comment

Working...
                              X