Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydroboost is awesome - can lock them up with one toe! And I still have some air in the system. I used the proportioning valve out of the astro van, it locks up the rear first on wet pavement. I guess I will add an adjustable at some point.

Note to self: when taking apart a distributor, pay close attention to where every thing goes. Finally after a billion tries got the HEI installed correctly and it is running. First 999,999,999 times it backfired a lot or didn't run at all. The odd-fire motor is...well...odd.

Went to the local dirt lot here in HB and 4WD works...finally!!! Can't wait to take it out again.

Comment

• its lookin great!

whats the distance between the hydroboost and the Clutch master cylinder? i'm just curious if it will work on my willys. I have a yj clutch master cylinder and a ford ranger brake master cylinder. but they are pretty close together. power brakes would be nice lol.

Comment

• You can see here how my hydro is clocked 90 degrees counter-clockwise, the base of the hydro is about 4.5 inches wide. The base of my clutch MC is almost touching the edge of the hydro base plate. I built my pedals so I just put them where they needed to be for good pedal placement and clearance between the fender and motor.

It is pretty easy to clock the hydroboost for the best fit. They way mine is allows the closest placement of the clutch MC because the hoses are now top passenger side and the accumulator is straight down leaving the drivers side of the hydro clear.

Totally worth it, cost me about $170 ($80 for the booster, Astro MC and combo valve from Pick-a-part, $80 on hoses and some fluid) But I will need to get an adjustable combo valve, the backs are locking up first on dry pavement. Looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/Wilwood-Adjust.../dp/B003LT619Q

Comment

• Prop valve

Hi Jonah, merry Christmas! When I needed to find a manual proportioning valve, I looked at Summit Racing. They had a Wilwood for (if I remember correctly) $60. They also carried one in their Mopar stuff that said Mopar on it for less than $20. It looked the same and had the same fittings. It was black anodized instead of gold anodized. When it showed up it had Mopar proudly emblazoned on one side; and Wilwood on the other...
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

• What a tale...

Jonah-
            Have spent the last day and a half reading this thread as if it was a long lost diary I found out in the wilds! Great story, awesome pics, and fantastic finish! The grill is cool, the high hood is gnarly and I can't wait to see your rig in person on the trail. Really, onle one thing left...what's his/her name?

Comment

• Merry Christmas!!

Hope everyone is having a good one.

Hey 6spd, I was looking at some different versions, but I didn't see that one - great price.

I know there is a difference between a proportional valve and a combination valve. I need to do a little more reading to figure out what I should use. I was leaning towards the combo valve because that is what the system originally used, and I think it provides for a automatic redirection of pressure if you lose pressure in the front or the rear. I really need to make sure I have all the air out before doing anything rash, it is still a bit spongy so that could be affecting it.

Hi Baron, Thank you! It has been a fun project. I have been calling it O.P. in my mind. In honor of (O)ther (P)eople's ...tools, help, parts that made it come together (plus who doesn't like little Ronny Howard).

Comment

• J,
                Glad to see the progress. So is it trail ready yet?
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• Hey, it is pretty close. I have been driving it around town a bit, trying to break in the front gears. My new high steer hits the frame at full bump, so I need to limit up travel a bit, no biggie. Other than that it is pretty good.

I really want to go out to Anza run, but I am not sure if I can get away.

Wanna do another light weight test before then?

Comment

• Originally posted by jonah View Post
                    Hey, it is pretty close. I have been driving it around town a bit, trying to break in the front gears. My new high steer hits the frame at full bump, so I need to limit up travel a bit, no biggie. Other than that it is pretty good.

I don't get back until Wednesday night then have to pack up and head for Anza. Maybe Mike will go with you??
                    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• I didnt realize you could clock those. that makes me think it could fit on mine too. I definitely do not have as much firewall though. thanks

Originally posted by jonah View Post

You can see here how my hydro is clocked 90 degrees counter-clockwise, the base of the hydro is about 4.5 inches wide. The base of my clutch MC is almost touching the edge of the hydro base plate. I built my pedals so I just put them where they needed to be for good pedal placement and clearance between the fender and motor.

It is pretty easy to clock the hydroboost for the best fit. They way mine is allows the closest placement of the clutch MC because the hoses are now top passenger side and the accumulator is straight down leaving the drivers side of the hydro clear.

Totally worth it, cost me about $170 ($80 for the booster, Astro MC and combo valve from Pick-a-part, $80 on hoses and some fluid) But I will need to get an adjustable combo valve, the backs are locking up first on dry pavement. Looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/Wilwood-Adjust.../dp/B003LT619Q

Comment

• Originally posted by jonah View Post
                        Hey, it is pretty close. I have been driving it around town a bit, trying to break in the front gears. My new high steer hits the frame at full bump, so I need to limit up travel a bit, no biggie. Other than that it is pretty good.

Let me know what works for you. I'm up for a quick run to test the new toys!
                        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

• Possible Cleghorn run this afternoon...I pm'd you Mike.

49, yes it really helps with being able to clock it. I built a plate out of 1/2 inch cold rolled steel for the MC, I had to make a new pushrod that was a 1/2 inch longer to make up for the adapter. I just got some stainless rod and made it the right length. All in all I only had about 6 inches of width between the clutch MC and the valve covers and it fits fine. If you need any more info or want to check it out sometime, just let me know.

Comment

• Big day. Drove on the freeway for the first time. All the way from Huntington Beach up to Rancho Cucamonga. Ran pretty well down the road, tracked straight, felt stable, no bad vibrations. I thought I heard a little knocking when the motor was under light load with just a little throttle - I have to look into that. My timing could be off still.

Got to Mike's place and we headed up to the Day Creek area and tested it out. I am very happy with the way it performs off road, everything was working good!

Mike took some photos

My first time driving on rocks:

Some nice scenery:

There used to be a trail here, not anymore so we stopped:

And walked up to see the metering station:

All in all, pretty good day.

Comment

• Must have missed you guys we drove up a ways there and hiked to the snow.
                              Hound dog loved that stuff. Very happy for you, that the ole girl is working the way you want

Comment

• "Ole" girl??? Everything on that is practically new! Great job! Can't imagine what your next project will be.
                                God forgives, rocks don't
                                -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
                                X