Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock on brutha! I'm happy for you. First totally successful outing with no breaks. That is a huge step in the build and a great feeling to boot. Jeep looks good. Can't wait to wheel with you on some big boy trails
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• Debut

Jonah,
      Too bad u can't get down to AB for NYE. Being a "new" follower of your story and a new comer to MJR -- seems like you'd have an amazing audience to debut OP. Hell, it'd be like an unveiling at the Detoit Auto Show!!

Comment

• Wow. Jeep turned out great. Congrats.
        Check out .

Comment

• Thanks all!

Art, what time were you up there? We didn't go up til late afternoon. Beautiful day for a hike!

6spd, next project....windshield wipers! Exciting - I know.

RP, definitely ready for some real trails! Can't wait.

Baron, I know, I really want to go to AB but I don't think it is going to work this time. I am working on getting a tow vehicle, but it is not going to happen this week and although it drives surprisingly well on the freeway, I really don't want to drive it that far yet.

Thanks Chuck! I think I might need to pick your brain on a vortec swap sooner than later. I am going to milk this motor as long as I can, but that might not be too long... Hope to see you out on the trail sometime soon!

Comment

• Jonah, if you want to consider something different, check around places that are retiring forklifts. A lot of them have the 4.3 Vortec running on propane. Don't know if you could do a dual fuel setup with the injection, but it'd be cool to look into.
            God forgives, rocks don't
            -sons of thunder

Comment

• That sounds like it could be cool, I hadn't thought of that. Do you know of any places I could check out? I am not sure where to start on that one. Off to google....

Comment

• Try CL or any material handling company. Worst case, find the propane setup and put it on a pick a part 4.3 from 1/2 price day.
                -sons of thunder

Comment

• So besides finding all my crap in the bottom of OP, how long did it take to clean him up after Cleghorn?

Comment

• It took $8 at the friendly neighbor hood wash it yourself place to spray off the bulk. Then about 2 hours at the shop. It was tough getting all the grit out of the tub. After all of that I am still finding little pockets I missed, mostly underneath as I go through the jeep checking for loose bolts (I found a few).

Also found that it self clearanced the drag link (hit frame and bent TRE a little) and the front passenger tire pushed back the inner fender. Light rubbing on the fuel filler (the section it rubs is metal pipe, so no damage). Then of course there is the big nasty scratch on the passenger rocker

Oh yeah, about 20 gallons of gas and two quarts of oil...

Might need that 1/2 price pick a part motor soon...

So I have a few adjustments to make, but nothing major.

Comment

• I remember an old trick for getting mud off of the bottom of your rig. Put an oscillating lawn sprinkler under it for a while, let the water work... And go green while you do it, park on the lawn! You'll be consering energy (cleaning and watering) as well as keeping excess soil out of our landfills.
                      -sons of thunder

Comment

• I have heard of that trick and I wanted to try it, unfortunately I am currently living in a completely paved world. I did feel a little bad leaving a mud slide in the U-Wash stall.

Comment

• Did you feel bad about leaving the mud, or having to pay so much to leave it there?
                          -sons of thunder

Comment

• LOL, a bit of both actually!

Comment

• Well, I finally decided to do what was way overdue. I put the compression tester on the dauntless.

#!: 150 psi
                              #2: 60 psi
                              #3: 135 psi
                              #4: 135 psi
                              #5: 155 psi
                              #6: 130 psi

Did a leak down too - rings leaking like a sieve. Which makes sense with the amount of blow-by I am getting. So I am pretty much where I thought I was and I still can't decide on which way to go. I guess I should open it up and see what the cylinders look like...

Comment

• Originally posted by jonah View Post
                                Well, I finally decided to do what was way overdue. I put the compression tester on the dauntless.

#!: 150 psi
                                #2: 60 psi
                                #3: 135 psi
                                #4: 135 psi
                                #5: 155 psi
                                #6: 130 psi

Did a leak down too - rings leaking like a sieve. Which makes sense with the amount of blow-by I am getting. So I am pretty much where I thought I was and I still can't decide on which way to go. I guess I should open it up and see what the cylinders look like...
                                I have a Briggs & Stratton 5 HP upright you can install!
                                I already told you if you decide to rebuild it bring it over and we'll fix 'er up like new. If you go with a pick a part engine I'll help you however I can.

Comment

Working...
                                X