Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lol, I might pick up a couple of HP with the Briggs!

I am leaning towards rebuilding this one, or picking up that motor in Hemet if it has decent compression. I might run out Saturday and check it out, assuming it is still there. The Vortec swap is a little bigger project than I want to do right now.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

• With a little luck a ridge reamer and a re ring will get the compression back up where it belongs as long as the broken ring didn't booger the the piston groove and land up to bad. A scratch on a cylinder wall isn't necesarily the end of the world

Comment

• Well, I went out and bought that 225 in Hemet this morning. The compression and leak down seemed pretty good (especially compared to mine).

Cold motor I was getting 135-150 across all 6 and the leak down I couldn't hear any leaking. And the price was right at $200. I figure it will at least keep me moving for a while. Or at very least give me a core to rebuild.

So anyway, anybody have a hoist I can borrow for a few? I got to smack this sucker in!

Comment

• Mine is kinda bulky, but you are welcome to it for a few.

Comment

• Thanks Art! I will get a hold of you when I am ready to go. Hopefully in the next week or two.

Comment

• J,
              I have an A frame you can use but you'll have to move the Jeep just far enough outside the shop to use it. So if Arts doesn't work out let me know.
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                I have a Briggs & Stratton 5 HP upright you can install!
                I already told you if you decide to rebuild it bring it over and we'll fix 'er up like new. If you go with a pick a part engine I'll help you however I can.
                Jonah, you might want to consider this B&S option, it's probably worth more than the 225... Glad to hear you found another. Worst case, some strong rafters and a come-along will do. I've even seen a rope run over a rafter and tied to the bumper of a running vehicle, then put in reverse to pull a motor. Yeah, use a hoist.
                God forgives, rocks don't
                -sons of thunder

Comment

• Thank Kurt, I will let you know.

Hey 6speed, believe me - I have a big beam right above the jeep and I was looking at it. Too bad I got rid of my chain fall a while back. A hoist definitely makes life easy...

I am going to try and fire this new one today, fingers crossed.

Comment

• You can pick up the cherrypicker anytime.
                    It disassembles fairly easy or bring a pickup and we stick the thing in the back, that is how I used to haul it around.

Comment

• jonah,

You can borrow mine anytime. It's the Harbor Freight one. Worked great for my 4.3. I also have the load leveler for it.
                      Check out .

Comment

• Thanks Chuck, you are a fair bit closer to me than Art is, so I would love to borrow yours. How would sometime Wednesday afternoon/evening be?

Thanks for all of the offers, Art, Kurt...

Comment

• Wednesday should be fine. I should be home around 5:30pm.
                          Check out .

Comment

• Looking better all the time, Jonah!
                            holes = cowbell

Comment

• Thanks!

So, I picked up the hoist from Chuck last week and have been working at the motor swap here and there when I get a minute.

Had to strip all the boat stuff off the "new" motor. Intake and exhaust manifolds, motor mounts, the housing that is the inboard side of the inboard/outboard. Took a look at the timing chain, looked new but it was the nylon tooth version so I swapped in a steel set. Swapped all the auto parts over and buttoned it up. Decided to slap a new clutch on there while I was at it.

Out with the old:

Decided to make a brace to go between the motor mounts due to the gigantic horsepower boost I am sure to get. 3/8 steel, bolts to the mounts.

Plopped the new one in, yeah it looks about the same, but you actually need a big wrench to turn this one over. Unlike the old one which you could turn by hand.

Made a little bracket for my throttle cable. It had been bolted down to the intake before putting the cable at a weird angle to the carb. I was surprised how much this helped the throttle feel. It was not smooth before and I thought the cable was messed up, but now it is great.

I didn't want to keep borrowing radiator stop leak from Chuck out on the trail, so I got this from summit. 22x19.5" two core, just barely fits between the headlight buckets. Don't worry Kurt, I will cut an access hole for the cap this time.

The other major thing was I had to redo my clutch slave mount. Before it was bolted to the block where the original mechanical linkage was bolted. Well, the boat motor block wasn't machined, drilled and tapped in that spot. So I made a new bracket that bolts to the bell housing. Less pretty but functional.

Fired it up yesterday. It runs, still getting it tuned. New clutch feels really light, it is a diaphragm type where the old one was a B&B three finger type. I kind of liked the heavier pedal, felt more manly! Hopefully I can get it tuned a little better today and take OP for a spin...
                              Last edited by jonah; 02-15-11, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• Looking good. You'll be back out in no time.
                                Check out .

Comment

Working...
                                X