Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallic gmg would look much better. The other stuff would be better suited to a bench grinder, IMO.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

• Jonah,
      Do you have a block sander? It will really help make the sheet metal straight. You can get them at paint & body suppliers or Pepboys, or you can make one out of a 2x4. It's worth the effort. I like GMG it's a cool color that is fairly easy to shoot and stands up to UV with a good top coat. If you go flat still shoot a clear coat to protect it. If you want some help with the body and paint let me know.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• inVERt'd, you have a good point! I do like metallic better (unless it is that stuff with huge flake). These old jeeps came with flat colors, so I was kind of leaning that way. But I will probably go flake if I can afford it.

Hey Kurt, I made do with a block of wood yesterday. But I was thinking about picking up a real block sander today. This body is so wavy I don't think I can really get it super straight.

I would love some help! I don't really know what I am doing, kind of winging it, although I have seen a several episodes of Overhaulin' so I kind of feel like an expert Anytime you want to swing by, I am always there! Are you setting up for painting yours soon?

Comment

• Originally posted by jonah View Post
          inVERt'd, you have a good point! I do like metallic better (unless it is that stuff with huge flake). These old jeeps came with flat colors, so I was kind of leaning that way. But I will probably go flake if I can afford it.

Hey Kurt, I made do with a block of wood yesterday. But I was thinking about picking up a real block sander today. This body is so wavy I don't think I can really get it super straight.

I would love some help! I don't really know what I am doing, kind of winging it, although I have seen a several episodes of Overhaulin' so I kind of feel like an expert Anytime you want to swing by, I am always there! Are you setting up for painting yours soon?
          PM me your address and I'll give you a ring. I like Overhaulin, just wish they'd concentrate more on what they are doing to the rides and less with all the drama :poop:.

Comment

• Yeah, I really hate the practical joke part of the show. Sometimes I can't even watch those segments. But they make some nice cars!

I will PM ya.

Comment

• you got to realize back in those days even frome the factory the bodies werent straight. they just did a good job of hiding it. the only way to make it look straight is to skim the entire body. then sand it. it will do away with all the imperfections. and in your case all the filler weld. u can use a da sander with 220 or higher grit to get it pretty close and then just some easy hand sanding to finish it off. bondo is hard shit,u dont want to be out there all day with a block. either way with as much as uve done to it already i have faith that your finish pduct will be nice. good luck.

Comment

• If you have an air compressor I'll let you use a line sander, that thing sands nice and flat and tears through bonco faster that a cheese grater file. Works wonders on Bondo. you can make a good long sanding block out of a 2x4 that is straight, did that once on the tail end of a 59 caddilac made that thing look straight as can be and those things have some really long quarter panels

Comment

• Thanks for the input guys! Kurt (RatPatrol) came over yesterday and showed me how it is done while he got the drivers side looking good! I never though it could look so nice. Now I just have to get the passenger side done and it will be ready for paint. I think this jeep is going to look way better than I originally planned!

Thanks again Kurt!

Comment

• You don't give your skills enough credit. I am thoroughly impressed.
                    God forgives, rocks don't
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

• That thing is really coming along. Can't wait to see it on the trail. Did you decide on a color? I vote grey. I really like the way grey and black look on Jeeps. I went Graphite Grey.
                      Check out .

Comment

• Thanks 6spd and dirtman!

I haven't decided on the type of paint yet, but I am shooting for a gun metal grey. I am doing the windshield frame and grill in satin black. I am still undecided on going really cheap with the industrial paint and spending a bit more on the automotive paint. That will determine the exact color I end up with.

On the inside of the tub I am going to use the u-pol raptor bed lining. It is a two part liner that comes with a spray gun, it was about the same price as the herculiner, so I though I would give it a shot.

Comment

• yeah the Jeep is going to look fairly straight when done. There is a lot of wavy stuff there and to skim the body would take a phenominal amount of work. But it will look good. I'm thinking Gold Glitter flake Imron in 3 coats with glasscoat topcoat, fire engine red button-tufted leather seats and gold fur trim on the windshield frame. Gold American 200 tru spoke blings and we be PIMPINNNnnnn...

Comment

• What about black on top that fades to a gun metal grey on the bottom I think that would look cool and I have never seen a Jeep like that.
                            I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

• Kurt, are you x to the z xibit in disguise or something?!? pimp
                              Now where am I going to fit the 50" flat screen and the 10000 watt stereo?

The fade would be cool, but I think a bit out of my skill level for a first time paint job. I am sure getting the raised "willys" lettering black will be enough challenge for me.

Anyway, went with the sherwin-williams finish1 in light blue metalic.

All the grays were too gray this is more like a blue gray, anyway the chip in person looked pretty good. Not bad on price, $203 out the door with a gallon of poly primer, gallon of light blue metallic, quart or black and all the hardeners. Done deal now, just have to finish the prep and spray away.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonah View Post
                                Kurt, are you x to the z xibit in disguise or something?!? pimp
                                Now where am I going to fit the 50" flat screen and the 10000 watt stereo?

The fade would be cool, but I think a bit out of my skill level for a first time paint job. I am sure getting the raised "willys" lettering black will be enough challenge for me.

Anyway, went with the sherwin-williams finish1 in light blue metalic.

All the grays were too gray this is more like a blue gray, anyway the chip in person looked pretty good. Not bad on price, $203 out the door with a gallon of poly primer, gallon of light blue metallic, quart or black and all the hardeners. Done deal now, just have to finish the prep and spray away.
                                Let me know when you're ready. I cleared the back of the shop and took the air compressor down today. Getting ready for some painting parties...

Comment

Working...
                                X