Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright, I didn't want you to think I have been sitting around sipping Mai Tais all weekend.

cage done

the old patch and grind (I have given up on not having any body filler)

Also got the rockers welded on.

Getting the interior ready for bedliner. Could still use a little more work, but it is getting pretty close.

I am completely ignoring the fact that there is no transmission tunnel - I think it has a nice Postmodern deconstructed look.
    Last edited by jonah; 08-23-10, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• Cage is looking pretty. Something to seriously think about would be some top-to-bottom diagonal bracing.

Originally posted by jonah View Post
      I am completely ignoring the fact that there is not transmission tunnel - I think it has a nice Postmodern deconstructed look.
      You are soooo copying me!
      holes = cowbell

Comment

• Yeah, I am planning on adding a B pillar x behind the front seats. But I wanted to run the seats for a bit. To retain the ability to slide all of the way back I would have to bend the ends so it would set back (like the cross bar is now). But it cramps the possibility of a back seat that I am still hoping for. So I am going to see if I have enough room to run them straight off the B pillar. Or I might just do a V to try and keep some access to the back, or how about a diamond, I am not sure yet. But in the meantime, I am pretty sure this would save my bacon in all but the most extreme crash.

Comment

• You guys should get with Art and do the tunnel-less shakedown tour! Who needs a spotter when you can just look down to see tire placement?
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

• Exactly, you get to see all the nice terrain going by underneath, plus you can do any last minute clutch adjustments on the fly.

Comment

• I just like to look at my driveline.
              holes = cowbell

Comment

• Not to mention a great heater source for those cold BB snow runs...
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• In the early 90s, a drunk driver hit my CJ-7. Finished putting it back together in January. My top was 30 miles across town. I lived in Michigan. That was a cold ride! Full carharts, scarf, ski goggles, hat and gloves...still froze.

I am thinking about painting the exterior before putting the bedliner inside (I think it makes more sense that way). I have been reading up on paint, because I don't have a clue. I don't need a primo paint job, but something decent. One or two levels above rattle can. Any decent paint system (filler, primer and paint) combo that is good but not too pricy? I want to go with a gun metal blue/gray, can't decide on glossy or flat.

Comment

• Judging how you started, I forsee your paint coming out awesome!
                    God forgives, rocks don't
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

• I had a '66 Ford pickup in metallic gunmetal gray. I liked it a lot.

Do a poll!
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

• Well, I think I found the paint I am going to use. Ellis Hy-Lux industrial paint. It is your basic waterborne acrylic enamel. Supposed to be tough. Pretty cheap. And can be tinted.

Here is my color (I like the poll idea, but I really already know what I want so it would be a little disingenuous , besides RatPatrol would probably just try to talk me into purple again!) This is very close to the original color of this jeep.

Got all of the welds ground down to an acceptable level and started a little body filler work. Using RAGE Gold filler, works pretty nice - much better than Bondo. Anyway, this tub was/is far from straight, but it will look decent, I hope!

Got the windshield frame ready for paint and started the grill. I wish I would just get this stuff blasted. Used Jasco stripper, took off the three layers above the factory paint. Sanded down the factory paint leaving just a little original primer. Still have the sides and back to get done. Haven't touched the hood or fenders yet. I was hoping to paint by this weekend, probably not.

And I am close to getting Savvy....

On a different note, I had some peach pie the other day. It was too good! I love peach season.

Comment

• I vote for the pastel yellow!

Mmmmmm...pie! :homer:
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

• u can go to sherwin williams automotive. i priced the paint for my xj. it was 120$. looked pretty durable. its a single stage with the built in clear. so no sanding from hell involved. my friend used it on his 4 runner and it came out very nice. we used a h.f. hvlp gun with a 1.4 tip. only costed about 30 bucks for the gun.

Comment

• Hmmm, I will have to check out the Sherman Williams paint. The Ellis stuff is $40-68 a gallon depending on color. I would bet they are a similar type of paint, probably acrylic enamel. I will take a look.

Just picked up my hvlp gun today, seems pretty nice for HF.

No way on yellow, just finished sanding off all the yellow. Went something like this: red oxide, gray, green, yellow, some nasty black stuff that never set, factory gale gray, red oxide, sheet metal, finally.

Comment

• Yep, same kind of paint system. On the bonus side, it comes in metallics on the down side, less colors. Might be worth the extra dough for the metallic bling! I will have to go see the colors in person.

Comment

Working...
                                X