Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
    That looks really nice. Good work.
    Tanx! Your's is looking real good as well.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• Originally posted by xjkevin View Post
      really nice work Kurt!!
      Thanks. Just trying to keep up with you man!

Comment

• A couple of things Kurt. Pay close attention again to the statement of being able to move the engine forward. I've done this on mine and it cost me a radiator and I only moved it 1" forward. I can't see where you're getting 3" from?

Why not the body lift? The body is the lightest thing you're moving, so it's height affects the COG the least. The pluses far outweigh the minuses. Your rockers go up higher. The t-case gets more room to go higher and lets you go flat to the frame on the skid and if you don't do that now, you will regret it later.

And finally, there is no greater joy than traipsing through the rocks with the 3 body mounts on the frame under the doors raised up another inch or so. That alone makes it all worthwhile.
        I am Savvy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
          A couple of things Kurt. Pay close attention again to the statement of being able to move the engine forward. I've done this on mine and it cost me a radiator and I only moved it 1" forward. I can't see where you're getting 3" from?
          I measured from the fan hub to the radiator and got 3.5 inches. No way would I move the engine that far. Besides, I don't hae to anymore. I trimmed the tub flange up enough to give me the upward clearnace I need.

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
          Why not the body lift? The body is the lightest thing you're moving, so it's height affects the COG the least. The pluses far outweigh the minuses. Your rockers go up higher. The t-case gets more room to go higher and lets you go flat to the frame on the skid and if you don't do that now, you will regret it later.
          I don't want to lift the body for the following reasons:
          • I don't like the body lifts I've seen
          • I don't want to spend money on a BL if I don't have to
          • I like the challenge
          • I'm trimming the rockers 3" (mini boat sides)
          • I'm short

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
          And finally, there is no greater joy than traipsing through the rocks with the 3 body mounts on the frame under the doors raised up another inch or so. That alone makes it all worthwhile.
          Agreed. But I will only do that as a last resort. I still need to call you about the 3 link. I'm almost ready to tackle that one. Should have the driveline back in, at the correct angles and ready for the suspension to go in by next weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
            I measured from the fan hub to the radiator and got 3.5 inches. No way would I move the engine that far. Besides, I don't hae to anymore. I trimmed the tub flange up enough to give me the upward clearnace I need.
            Wow, I need to see that sometime. I guess they changed fan clutch design somewhere. When I moved mine the small amount that I did, I wound up with just enough room to slide my fingers between the radiator and clutch nub.

I don't want to lift the body for the following reasons:[LIST][*]I don't like the body lifts I've seen
            What's to see? If you raise the side mounts, there's no puck to see there. The only two pucks visible are the pair on top of the rear bumper and if you cut and raise the frame like you should be doing, even they aren't visible.

[*]I don't want to spend money on a BL if I don't have to
            You're a funny guy. Trying to save 80 bucks on a build like this is like trying to stop the Titanic from sinking by tossing a few deck chairs over the side.
            [*]I like the challenge
            Don't we all? At the end of the day though, what are you saving?

[*]I'm trimming the rockers 3" (mini boat sides)
            Fair enough.
            [*]I'm short
            Boo! Hiss! So's my wife and she has no issues piloting my rig all over JV.

Agreed. But I will only do that as a last resort. I still need to call you about the 3 link. I'm almost ready to tackle that one. Should have the driveline back in, at the correct angles and ready for the suspension to go in by next weekend.
            You've got my number.
            I am Savvy.

Comment

• Nailed it baby! Got the tcase up in the frame, still have inches of clearance all around, front to rear, side to side, and didn't have to lift the body. Lifted the engine 3/4 inch. Damn I love it when a plan comes together. I'll post pics later; gotta go watch Dallas kick the feathers off the Shegles.

Comment

• The last two days have been really productive. It's alot more fun building things then it is tearing them apart.

First, got the flat belly skid figured out. Everything fits with room to spare.

Then I got the tub cut for the gas tank. It will become clear what I'm doing when you see the pics of the tank installed.

Then got to work on the reas suspension. This is the first mock up, but it looks pretty close to what I designed, so I'm happy.

The UCAs are sitting on top of the truss right now. When I box the mounting brackets into the truss, the JJs will be slightly lower that they are in this pic. After I trim the truss another 1.5 inches, it will give me 10+ inches up travel.
                The floor right behind the seats is going byebye, and will be raised 7 inches to acommodate the exhaust and UCA mounts. Should have that all done next weekend.

Comment

• I really like what you're doing there. I just dropped the crossmember of my Jeep this afternoon for a tranny swap. If you could be so kind, how about a list of things you had to do to get everything up that high?
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

• Looking good Kurt. Looks like I see some floor fab in your future.
                    Check out .

Comment

• In the one picture it looks like you have the lower link above the center line of the axle. The last picture looks like you move it down?

Comment

• Originally posted by Double AA View Post
                        In the one picture it looks like you have the lower link above the center line of the axle. The last picture looks like you move it down?
                        It's an illusion. the LCAs are at .5 inch below centerline. They may be moved a slight bit lower before I burn them in; this is the first mock up. Next weekend will be the completion fr the rear. Should have the kings on Thursday.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                          Looking good Kurt. Looks like I see some floor fab in your future.
                          Thanks Chuck. After I posted I was back out there and after some head scratching decided to just cut the whole damn floor out. It will be easier than trying to match the existing floor with the new one.

Comment

• Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                            I really like what you're doing there. I just dropped the crossmember of my Jeep this afternoon for a tranny swap. If you could be so kind, how about a list of things you had to do to get everything up that high?
                            Right arm, left nut. Sanity. Really big jack. Cram until it don't cram no mo.

Comment

• Coming along pretty nice Kurt

Comment

• Looking good Kurt.

What is the space between the frame and the skid? It is small, but I still see a space.

I am also curious why you are keeping the weight of the fuel tank all the way to the rear of the jeep rather than picking up an aluminum fuel cell and putting it behind the seats, or recessing it directly behind the seats.

You say the "Kings" are going in... Are you talking about King coil-overs?

You have been a busy boy!
                                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                                X