Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow,

The Desert Jewel is looking good! Congratulations Julie. The "HighRock 4x4 Front Bumper by Bestop" looks clean and nice. I'm getting ready to buy a winch and a bolt on Rock Hard Sports Cage just like yours, so I'll try for the Desert Jewel discount at 4 Wheel Parts (Since I know a celebrity!!!!) Have fun and don't drive like Becca.

Comment

Hey Jul,
      I bet your cheeks hurt today, cuz you never stopped smiling the entire afternoon! It was fun watching this whole thing come together; congrat on your new DJ. Wouldn't have missed for the world, although Cleghorn ALMOST kept me from getting there...

The Desert Jewel is hiding behind this trailer, just minutes before the unveiling

THe NEW Desert Jewel

Behind the scenes stuff

The rest of the pics of Cleghorn and DJ in JV are here:
      http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...2008/?start=60
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Wow! How fun this was for you! When will the show air? I gotta watch it. I'm be looking for the new improved DJ runing around Apple Valley!
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Congratulations Julie!!! DJ looks SWEET
          That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Here's a little more detail on how the Jeep was built:

ProComp TJ Rock Crawling Long Arm kit
            That is the brand new Pro Comp Long Arm kit with the true 4-link conversion in back. It's a really nice kit, and should work very well, both on and off road.

35" ProComp tires & new wheels
            We got you 35" xTerrains and some nice Pro Comp Alloys (remember, folks, this IS 4 Wheel Parts...we gotta give SOME love to the house brands)

Dana 44's front & rear
            OX Lockers front & rear

But there's even more than that...

You got Genuine Gear front and rear axle assemblies with the new G2 33-Spline rear alloy axle shafts and a 33-spline rear OX locker. The front axle is stuffed full of Alloy USA axles and the new Alloy USA u-Joints. The gears are 5.13

Currie tie rods & steering columns & whatever else is up front
            That's the Currie HD TJ Steering kit (Yes, I know that in the past I have been down on this kit, but in reality, it is the best off-the-shelf HD steering kit available for TJs)

Full roll cage
            That's the Rock Hard 4x4 Bolt In Full Cage system. It's really nice.

New bumpers front & rear (not sure what brand)
            Those are the BesTop High Rock off road bumpers with the killer Bestop Swing-Away tire carrier. That thing is really cool.

Warn winch
            I purposely Spec'd the Warn XD9000i winch for you. I thought about the 9500ti, but they have a bad reputation for shutting down when they get hot. The XD9000i is a workhorse, and it will not let you down. It's not sexy, but it's the best winch Warn makes, except for the 8274. They wanted to put that PowerPlant combination compressor and Winch thing on there, but I talked them out of it. It really is a bad choice for the type of wheeling we do. You'll like the PowerTank better.

Front rock lights

I didn't see those, but they're probably Pro Comp

Graphics outside
            That was a surprise, too. It looks good

Orange Line-X
            I'm not sure who picked the color, but we all agreed that Line-X would be a good idea

Mastercraft front seats with 5-point harnesses
            Those are nice seats.

Rear cargo area
            Also from BesTop

Fire Extinguisher & covering
            The Fire Extinguisher is a nice unit from H3R

20 lb CO2 tank (bright yellow)
            That is a PowerTank. I picked the biggest one we had in stock.

Grab handles
            Courtesy of Smittybilt

Rear tire carrier
            From BesTop

Bestop Complete Softop
            Did you also get a set of Bestop tube doors for that? There was some confusion as to whether we had any. I never heard the final outcome.

And a new center console.
            Also from Bestop - They may have substituted that if they couldn't find the doors.

PeteyG - Thank you so much for what you did!
            You're welcome. You would not believe how shocked I was when they told us what the next vehicle would be. I saw a picture and thought, NO WAY! It was cool to be able to help someone I actually knew. I told them, too, so there's no conflict of interest.
            Last edited by peteyg; 02-24-08, 02:36 PM.
            '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
              Wow! How fun this was for you! When will the show air? I gotta watch it. I'm be looking for the new improved DJ runing around Apple Valley!
              Sometime in March or April. This will be on the OUTDOOR Channel. Channel 605 on DirecTV. I don't know about other cable systems. The first show airs in the first week of March. I can get an exact date on Monday.
              '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Wow, Pete! This is awesome! Thanks for the detailed info, I was wondering if I could get more of what I really had on it. I absolutely love the new lift & tires...they handled remarkably well with whatever we did yesterday and then some. I picked out the Orange Line-x because my favorite color is orange - it turned out sa-weet! I never heard anything about tube doors...they just handed me a list of things still needing to be done and the center console was on it. The top on mine currently does not lock and the hinge was ripped out of the plastic so there's no security whatsoever. The rear tire carrier was in still in the box in the trunk area...we opened it up last night and it says it's missing a part. I guess I still need to take her back to get some odds n ends finished up on her...not sure when I'll be able to do it with TDS this weekend and then the following weekend I have plans. Gonna try to make arrangements to stay down the hill at a friends for a couple days so you guys can take her and I can work in the office. Anyway...thanks again

Comment

My episode is supposed to air on Monday, April 14th on the Outdoor Channel.

Comment

Congrats!! Wow, that's awesome!!! Can't wait to see the show.
                    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

oops...I forgot a couple things:

You also got a MagnaFlow Cat Back stainless exhaust, and an Airaid Cold Air intake.

Comment

Yeah, the intake and exhaust help that 4.0 quite a bit! I was looking at the lift kit, it is amazing what they have done there, I am not a big fan of most bent tube based lift kits, this one is not tube based, it has formed and welded components, it looks very rigid in design but handles smooth and is crazy smooth at speed, I am all kinds of impressed.

The amount of stuff that Bestop provided for this build is awesome! and it is all top quality... I like the choice for the winch, keep the nose light, and the Powertank does a great job without taxing the battery. I thought that Jules was nuts to ask for the Orange on the inside but you know, it turned out really sweet looking...

Julie didn't have to ask lil' brother what I thought of the Jeep, She knew she was set up sweet... but it was nice for her to ask me anyways... :wink:

:2:
                        :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

VERY cool Julie! Its beautiful

congrats on your new Desert Jewel. Glad youre loving it! Sorry I couldnt make it.

Tam
                          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Hey Pete - did they put in the little gear to make the speedometer read correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Jewel View Post
                              Hey Pete - did they put in the little gear to make the speedometer read correctly?
                              Probably not, no.

But, it's not that much from Jeep, and it takes about 10 minutes to change, and you could do it yourself if you wanted to. Super easy to change, in fact.

Comment

Ok Cool - thanks

Been out showin' her off...so much fun!

Comment

Working...
                                X