Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does anyone have a link to the website with those cool pictures Vern had of the trail back in the day?
    YJ Master
    Writer for Petersen's 4Wheel and Offroad Magazine

Comment

don't have any pics but wanted to say I had a great time. fun trail.

Thanks to Vern and Steve for all the work it took to open the trail. Thanks for letting me tag along on the inaugural run.

Thanks to Erik and his bro for caravaning there and back, helluva a drive. next time, we camp.

someday I'm gonna walk right up that last waterfall, DAMMIT! :angry: :yay:
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

MOUNTAIN SPRINGS
        By B. B. Moore
        In 1863 Pete Larkins and Joe Stancliff built a small house at Mountain
        Springs, selling meager supplies to travelers passing that way, and with
        their team of oxen they assisted travelers up the steep, thirty per cent
        mountain grade.
        In 1870 the San Diego -- Ft. Yuma Turnpike Company purchased Larkins'
        holdings and petitioned the San Diego Board of Supervisors to allow them
        to establish a Toll Road and station at this location. The permit was
        granted, and the company operated a toll station in the old Larkins House
        for about six years, with Mr. Bowers as Station Agent. All that remains at
        present, to mark the location of the original station site, is a lone
        Washingtonia Palm tree and the remains of a portion of the old stone
        foundation.
        In 1878 the Board of Supervisors relocated a portion of the road above the
        station, and eliminated the toll road. This change of alignment brought
        the road into the Mountain Springs area about one-half mile north of the
        old stage station. At this point another spring was developed in a near-by
        canyon. It was at this location, in about 1860, that sheep men built some
        stone corrals and a small stone house. In the corrals lambing ewes were
        kept at night, to protect them and their young lambs from the coyotes.
        In 1900 Supervisor James Jasper constructed a new grade into the area.
        This new road came around the mountain from the north and terminated near
        the stone corrals. Jasper cleaned out the springs in the canyon, and piped
        the water a short distance to a large water trough at the feet of the
        grade; this was convenient for the sheep men, as the overflow ran into the
        nearby corrals.
        In 1909, a new Mountain Springs Grade was constructed with monies provided
        by a San Diego County bond issue, to accommodate the increasing demand of
        the automobile. This grade entered the amphitheatre from the south and the
        old water trough was moved to a new location about a thousand feet to the
        south east from its position at the stone corrals, so that cool water
        could be had for the boiling radiators. A short time thereafter a small
        cafe and garage operated at this location, but closed when the California
        Division of Highways again relocated the highway a few hundred feet
        farther north. This is the highway that is in use as of 1955.
        NOTE: Prior to 1907, San Diego County extended easterly to the Colorado
        river. In that year, Imperial County was formed, the division line between
        the two counties passing through the Mountain Springs area; in fact, the
        present highway down the grade crosses and re-crosses the County line
        several times.

This is all at the Mountain Springs exit. Once leaving and getting on 8 going west you will pass within 1500 ft the area where the goats were kept. The stone pens are still there, the trail at that point climbs the mountain and goes north. If you like narrow off camber trails do this one from Table mountain down.

There are other places within the trail which the horses were kept to refresh the freight wagons. This we went by with out investigating.

The Photograper of the early pictures was Ralph Stineman, he truley was the original off roader. He drove a 1910 Bush Runabout. All and most of the early pictures has his rig in it.

During WWII the Mounted Calvary which was station at Campo were used to patrol the boarder areas, In their journals this canyon was hardly fit for a horse.
        They used the route to and from the lower Jacumber mountains along the border.

In 1860 sometimes because of the shape of the road some freight wagons went down to Mexico to cross over into San Diego. Ah the trail could not be that bad eh?? We went through it!

Some of the history of the trail can be found HERE

There is other information which is interesting but leads off to a HANGING of a federal employee who ruffled up the indians.

Dig deep it certainly has a cool history!!
        97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
        WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by Britain
          I'm not sure about this... Perhaps Matt is pointing out to Brian his fly is down??
          that is some funny shit. :yay:
          myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
            don't have any pics but wanted to say I had a great time. fun trail.

Thanks to Vern and Steve for all the work it took to open the trail. Thanks for letting me tag along on the inaugural run.

Thanks to Erik and his bro for caravaning there and back, helluva a drive. next time, we camp.

someday I'm gonna walk right up that last waterfall, DAMMIT! :angry: :yay:
            Hey theres not many picture of you...ummm your to smooth no rescues!

Eriks brother is a pro photographer? Went to school and all? I cant wait for these tasty photos! Maybe he has you stuck somewhere!

Thanks for coming down south! I dont know about camping in the canyon the boarder patrol says the illegals are not the problem its those ticks!!!!

stay safe!
            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
            WEB site

Comment

Hey theres not many picture of you...ummm your to smooth no rescues!
              don't let that get out, I may get a big ego. :yay:

I do like this one...

dammit, blocked... hey steve, can i link one of your pics???
              myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Here you go

2000 TJ Sport, 3 spd auto
                4.5" RE LA, 35" MTR

Comment

don't let that get out, I may get a big ego. :yay:

I do like this one...

dammit, blocked... hey steve, can i link one of your pics???
                  This must be the picture. Steve wont mind as long as I include him first in any new tasty trails. But again you went through without hanging one wheel in the air....there is none absolutly none of you pooching it!

97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                  WEB site

Comment

sweet, thanks. :yay:
                    myJeeprocks.com

Comment

sweet, thanks. :yay:
                      Steve you get any pictures of all the rubber on that rock on the last water fall??? There must have been a pound or 2.
                      97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                      WEB site

Comment

No I don't have any pics of that, but this might account for a couple of ounces.
                        Last edited by STORMTROOPER; 05-07-06, 08:27 PM.
                        4.5" RE LA, 35" MTR

Comment

Originally posted by STORMTROOPER
                          No I don't have any pics of that.
                          Gee Me and Ed Webster was piling stuff up for for the rear group. I certainly remember Brian ( Like my Vid) spinning his tires and leaving black stuff all over that rock. Guess Brian gets away without a trashing.....

I tell you about Ed he certianly has a lot of stamina. We were at the end and this guy was piling and unsticking everyone 2 hands down to ED!!

I wont do the trail end any more!
                          97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                          WEB site

Comment

Just joking Vern. Everybody laid down rubber yesterday, myself included.

Thanks for running tail this time and letting me take the lead. It was fun, and I know everybody had a great time. This was one for the records.
                            4.5" RE LA, 35" MTR

Comment

Originally posted by STORMTROOPER
                              Just joking Vern. Everybody laid down rubber yesterday, myself included.

Thanks for running tail this time and letting me take the lead. It was fun, and I know everybody had a great time. This was one for the records.
                              Oh you funny guy! Yeah I like that! .....no....

Yeah thats an excuse... another bad line i took.....I cant seem to get out of that hole period!

Erik plug up your rear! ha ha

S,
                              You did a great job running this as lead!
                              Last edited by Britain; 05-07-06, 09:18 PM.
                              97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                              WEB site

Comment

Oh you funny guy! Yeah I like that! .....no....

Yeah thats an excuse... another bad line i took.....I cant seem to get out of that hole period!

Erik plug up your rear! ha ha

S,
                                You did a great job running this as lead!
                                lol! i'll see what i can do for ya' vern

i think there were a few photo ops for brian on that last water fall. i'll bet my brother got some pics of his mistakes, if there werte any :yay:
                                i still think the "driver of the day" goes to Nora. she has some great skills, and giant courage out there. nice work. second goes to brice.
                                it was a damn good time out there, and i hope to do it again.
                                it will deffinately be a camping gig though. 400 miles is too much in one day +8 hours of wheeling.
                                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                                X