Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Give those Hummers the trail tampon of the year award

Freddy and me met up at green valley lake for a shake down on his steering revision number 1. Holcomb was fun, the rock addition at the rock garden end gets the Hammerhead fun award, more would be better, but it's a fun obstacle. Great job guys.

While heading east on Holcomb we ran in to a group of 14 Broncos that were happily enjoying the trail. Once we finished Holcomb we headed to John Bull, sure is dusty out there all ready still fun to tool along on the dirt roads.
    The gate keeper had a waiting line a mile long which is ok. What was not so good is that when we got there, a group of about 20 Hummers of all varieties was trying to run this trail big mistake, they will be lucky if the finish it before day break.
    Half of them had made the gate keeper and it still took several hours for the rest of them to get past it. After that some Big Bear Valley Jeepers whizzed through it then a guy with an old Blazer took a go at it. before the gate keeper either his locker or an axle shaft on his Dana 44 gave the ghost. Yet he persisted so at the gate keeper he snapped the axle shaft on the other side and had to be dragged out which took close to another hour. Once all of that was cleared out we headed up John Bull and guess what after less than 1/3 of a mile Hummer trail tampons clogging the trail. so about 3 hours later all of the ill equipped knuckleheads made it past the notch thingy took several of us to spot them along the way. After that fun they pulled out of the way and let us pass. The rest of the trail was a fun put put ride. Because we wasted so much time we did not get to run Holcomb the other way. Bummer, darn Hummer knuckle heads. I do hope they do make it of the trail today in one piece, do not think they will be back soon though
    Last edited by aw12345; 06-16-12, 11:47 AM.

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
    Bummer, darn Hummer knuckle heads. I do hope they do make it of the trail today in one piece, do not think they will be back soon though
    they should put some additional signs somewhere, on black diamond trails. like "Do not attempt with factory suspension and tires and open differentials" or something like that. Sure, you can GET a factory vehicle through these trails, but it's going to be a pain in the butt for you and everyone else around you, and you'll probably break something. Not to mention all the rock stacking which makes the trail easier than it's supposed to be?

There was a factory 4 door JK jeep that went through the end of Holcomb after we had moved the rocks there (we were still there working on it) He made it through, but they had to stack rocks, and he still damaged his jeep.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

The thing is the trails are open to the public, so everybody has access to them. Gatekeepers are supposed to keep vehicles out that aren't quite up to snuff. Then people get creative and persistent and shit happens lol. These guys had a trifecta going on.
      Poorly equipped not very suitable vehicles, unexperienced drivers and even worse spotting technique.
      On top of that the ones with winches had winches that quit working. Then others had every Hummer bolt on accessory known to man bolted on, yet no lockers. It was a sad affair. I hope they all made it of the trail and learned a lesson about wheelin.
      Lesson being, do not attempt to drag a big whale through a tight rocky trail without being seriously prepared.

Comment

LONG STORY SHORT We got there around 3:00 or 3:30 Dan and I made it past Gatekeeper to the first left and pulled off. The 3rd Bent some junk we pulled him down 2 plus hours later we all made it up and were told there wer a few jeeps stuck behind and a large group Hummers still up after the next few bends having issues. it was 6:30 and my son and I had to get home so we went back down the gate keeper with Brian and Chip. The others kept going so maybe they know what was ahead. As for us we got home to Fullerton about 10:15 or so. Long Fun Day.

DUSTY YES. I tried to get one shot when I get the pictures up I will post the dusty one here...
        Danny
        [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

so about 3 hours later all of the ill equipped knuckleheads made it past the notch thingy
          Sounds like I missed out on some great "fun". I guess if you can't make it, then break it.

I don't think I've got caught behind a group of Bummers yet...but just about everything else though, including VW dune buggies.

I think I'll head for JB next Sat to watch the "fun". @BBFF.

Comment

Renato, Brandon and I were the only three left on John bull. We waited for another 45 minutes or so, let the hemicon(plus one) turn around and head back down (hemicon broke his ram assist) then we proceeded up. I had never run JB prior to yesterday, but in my estimation the gate keeper was a cake walk compared to the next set of stones. I honestly didn't think I was going to make it. Thanks to some OUTSTANDING spotting from Renato I came out with nothing more than a broken marker light.....easy day!

We ran into that group of Bummers, I mean Hummers, on the paved road leading to town. Half of them looked to be under their rugs fixing junk while the other half was just standing around talking. They all looked stunned and tired. I sure hope they learned a lesson and don't return. They wasted soooooo much of everyone else's trail time.

HOOYAH!!!
            Dan

Comment

Those folks lacked experience and were in way over their head, which makes for a miserable wheelin experience and is frustrating for everybody else behind them

Comment

Those folks lacked experience and were in way over their head, which makes for a miserable wheelin experience and is frustrating for everybody else behind them
                Completely agree. I wonder what the conversation was like. 'dude, you own a hummer.....it can do anything, lets go!'.

HOOYAH!!!
                Dan

Comment

Ever run into a group of Range Rovers.....all with their safari gear on......
                  Rich

Comment

Nope haven't had that pleasure yet. The one guy had every accessory ever made for a Hummer 2, but ofcourse no front or rear locker and a defective winch that looked ever so purty behind that big heavy blingy front bumper

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
                      Ever run into a group of Range Rovers.....all with their safari gear on......
                      Oh yea. At calico a few weeks ago. Some knucklehead nearly rolled his junk trying to 'drift' around one of the dirt roads near our camp site. When he straightened it out he slammed it into a birm. Later when we asked him about it he denied being 'out of shape' or ever hitting the birm. What a jackass!

HOOYAH!!!
                      Dan

Comment

1. Holcomb was fun, the rock addition at the rock garden end gets the Hammerhead fun award, [COLOR="red"]more would be better[/COLOR], but it's a fun obstacle. Great job guys.
                        [COLOR="sienna"]Art! You truly don't think we're finished with that do you? I thought you knew at least ME better than that![/COLOR]
                        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Trails are never finished lol once Ryan is done moving rocks where they belong the rock stackers and road builders move in to fill the gaps
                          Otherwise those Hummers cannot wallow through there :-)

Comment

We saw them airing up on the way out and I asked one of them how the wheeling was and he replied as if it was frustrating, we could hear them from gatekeepr just trying to gas it thru banging everything up like miles away echoing thru the entire trail
                            Hey aw.... Was that you parked off to the side right after gatekeeper turning around because of the hummers? I spoke to two guys in jeeps and probably didn't even realize it was u.....

Comment

Originally posted by toycrawler5481 View Post
                              We saw them airing up on the way out and I asked one of them how the wheeling was and he replied as if it was frustrating, we could hear them from gatekeepr just trying to gas it thru banging everything up like miles away echoing thru the entire trail
                              Hey aw.... Was that you parked off to the side right after gatekeeper turning around because of the hummers? I spoke to two guys in jeeps and probably didn't even realize it was u.....
                              We persisted and taught the Hummer folks a thing or two about spotting and towing whales over rocks. In a few places we had to daisy chain 2 of them together to tow one of those big beasts over an obstacle

Comment

Working...
                              X