Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of us are camping at the trail head on thursday night (free). If you are staying at the resort, make your reservation now. I am heading home sunday, so I will be leaving my tow vehicle at ice house resort. it was $7.50 per day last year.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
      Some of us are camping at the trail head on thursday night (free). If you are staying at the resort, make your reservation now. I am heading home sunday, so I will be leaving my tow vehicle at ice house resort. it was $7.50 per day last year.

Do you have to reserve a space to park your tow rig and trailer?

I tried calling Ice House Resort but no answer.

Comment

Originally posted by 08RUBIJK View Post

See post #75 on page 5 of this thread
        Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
        Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
        HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by 08RUBIJK View Post

No you do not. There is a huge area out back of the store.

Comment

Thank You,

All spelled out in post 75.

Comment

Only a month away. Hope everyone is making their last second fixes.

Comment

Question for those of you who know the area well. Anyplace for a group to set up an RV base-camp somewhere in the Rubicon or Lake Tahoe area? On prior trips to the Markleeville area, we found the Centerville recreation site which was just a big area designated for primitive camping...not a campground per-se.

Anything similar on or north of HWY 50? Not sure where we'll be Jeeping since we haven't done much in that area. But I'll bet there's a lot of runs, both scenic and technical, and we'll want to get a good sample.

Thanx, Bill
                Last edited by WAM; 06-22-09, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Ice House Rd. Crystal Basin Area Off Hwy 50

Originally posted by WAM View Post
                  Question for those of you who know the area well. Anyplace for a group to set up an RV base-camp somewhere in the Rubicon or Lake Tahoe area? On prior trips to the Markleeville area, we found the Centerville recreation site which was just a big area designated for primitive camping...not a campground per-se.

Anything similar on or north of HWY 50? Not sure where we'll be Jeeping since we haven't done much in that area. But I'll bet there's a lot of runs, both scenic and technical, and we'll want to get a good sample.

Thanx, Bill

Here's where we make basecamp when wheeling at the Rubicon. There is no fee to camp here and it's a first come policy.They have several sites for large groups. It does tend to fill up but there is overflow camping just the other side of the creek, from the main camp area and plenty of room for a group with RVs.( Toy Haulers, Diesel Pushers etc...) Here's a link for more information about Airport Flat and a pic of our camp this past memorial weekend. The pic is of campsites 4&5 combined and it is a partial photo of the camp. Camp 16 is ideal as well. There is also a trail right out of camp that will take you to the wentworth springs trail which links to the rubicon. Also loon lake is about a 20 minute drive from the camp.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/doc...ac_airport.pdf

Gerle Creek is an alternative to Airport Flat but they do not have group sites. You have to pay and reserve your site. You may be able to get sites next to one another. We did.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/doc..._pac_gerle.pdf

I like campsites 10, 12, 13 here.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Xlnt information -- thanks. They do seem a little "downtown Rubicon" tho. Since we'll be exploring a wide area, we might want to stay a little clear of the Rubicon crush.

I'd really like to find a totally unstructured camp-legal area comparable to the southern trailhead of Deer Valley trail off Hwy 4. I've called the Forest Service but it's hard to get a hold of people who actually might know of such things. They're always "in the field".

I'll be passing thru the area next week, and I plan to drive around some and see what I can find. I'll check out your two campgrounds if I can get there in a low clearance Evo. (but hey, it's a 4x4)

Comment

Al

I am the leader of the work weekend at Rubicon Springs and cadillac hill.
                      One of the things we are going to work on, is filling the mud hole at the springs.
                      We need some help with rocks, so if you could have everyone grab a rock or two on their way in to assist I would appreciate it. Also, anyone you see along the trail that is going to be passing the springs, as them to bring one or two also.

See you guys at the springs.

Thanks

Todd
                      Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
                      Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

Originally posted by Navy-Jeepster View Post
                        We need some help with rocks, so if you could have everyone grab a rock or two on their way in to assist I would appreciate it. Also, anyone you see along the trail that is going to be passing the springs, ask them to bring one or two also.
                        Can do!

TreadLightly Trainer
                        HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

This will be my first big trip with the Jeep (other than a trip to Sedona for mild wheeling, so it doesn't really count)

Rubicon Questions:
                          1. Bear territory? What precautions are required with food, coolers, etc?
                          2. Tent sites: Are traditional tents that require stakes feasible, or are the granite slabs prevalent and require a tent that does not need stakes to be set up?
                          3. Are campfires allowed?
                          4. Is fishing allowed? (assuming fishing license in hand)
                          5. Spare axles: What's the recommended method to store them on board? They are heavy and awkward, difficult to ratchet strap down. I’m concerned with them becoming a missile hazard.
                          6. I have half doors and a bikini top, would you recommend running in that configuration, or going with a full soft top (inclement weather? ) I am going to be trailing my Jeep up to the Ice House Resort, with the standard top on, but can easily change once I get there.
                          7. Is anyone interesting in organizing food, fluids, and repair parts amongst the various participants? I'm happy to organize it, if you want to participate. Post here or send me a PM on what you'd like to bring, and I will make a list and we can check for redundancy's.

I am bringing:

replacement parts:

- D44 front axles (both sides, with stubby's)
                          - D44 rear axle - one half only
                          - one Spicer 260X u-joint
                          - headlamp bulb
                          - spare serpentine belt
                          - lower radiator hose

Fluids:
                          - 2 QT diff oil,
                          - 3 QT engine oil
                          - 2 Qt ATF,
                          - 1 QT brake fluid
                          - 5 GAL of water

Tools:
                          - no special tools
                          - just basic kit
                          - survival tape :-)

Food:
                          - not certain yet. I will have an ARB 50qt fridge onboard I think, if I can get the wiring done.

TreadLightly Trainer
                          HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                            This will be my first big trip with the Jeep (other than a trip to Sedona for mild wheeling, so it doesn't really count)

Rubicon Questions:
                            1. Bear territory? What precautions are required with food, coolers, etc?
                            2. Tent sites: Are traditional tents that require stakes feasible, or are the granite slabs prevalent and require a tent that does not need stakes to be set up?
                            3. Are campfires allowed?
                            4. Is fishing allowed? (assuming fishing license in hand)
                            5. Spare axles: What's the recommended method to store them on board? They are heavy and awkward, difficult to ratchet strap down. I’m concerned with them becoming a missile hazard.
                            6. I have half doors and a bikini top, would you recommend running in that configuration, or going with a full soft top (inclement weather? ) I am going to be trailing my Jeep up to the Ice House Resort, with the standard top on, but can easily change once I get there.
                            7. Is anyone interesting in organizing food, fluids, and repair parts amongst the various participants? I'm happy to organize it, if you want to participate. Post here or send me a PM on what you'd like to bring, and I will make a list and we can check for redundancy's.

I am bringing:

replacement parts:

- D44 front axles (both sides, with stubby's)
                            - D44 rear axle - one half only
                            - one Spicer 260X u-joint
                            - headlamp bulb
                            - spare serpentine belt
                            - lower radiator hose

Fluids:
                            - 2 QT diff oil,
                            - 3 QT engine oil
                            - 2 Qt ATF,
                            - 1 QT brake fluid
                            - 5 GAL of water

Tools:
                            - no special tools
                            - just basic kit
                            - survival tape :-)

Food:
                            - not certain yet. I will have an ARB 50qt fridge onboard I think, if I can get the wiring done.
                            1. bears aren't a problem in that area. I have never seen one in the camp.

2. If your tent stakes will go through granite you can use them, if not then you want something else.

3. Not sure. Last year they were not. We will find out prior to gettingon the trail.

4. Yes

5. Probably on the floor under everything.

6. Bikini and half doors are fine. I run no top, no dooors. Make sure you have a tarp because thunderstorms are common.

7. That is a great idea. We don't need 4 sets of everything. We do share parts as needed. This will be my 6th trip over the con and the only breakage I have seen is shock mounts, tie rods, and track bars. We will not be doing the little sleuce so that takes away a lot of the possiblity of breakage. Most breakages are preventable. Don't force it. if you have trouble, try again. Setting there giving more throttle is a perfect way to break down.

I will be bringing air tools and a welder. (We used it last year) I will coordinate with some of the others as far as tools. I will be in my samurai, so I don't have the room for a complete garage of tools.

Remember to pack like you are back packing. Freeze your drinking water. That helps keep your ice for a longer period. 5 day ice chest are perfect. i always have ice left over. Dry ice is also great. Just make sure you put it in a brown paper bag so it doesn't evaporate as fast.

Comment

I've also run the Rubicon several times and agree with everything in the previous post except #1. There are differently bears in that area, especially Buck Island and Rubicon Springs.

They're more of a pest than a danger. I would simply take the precaution of not having any food in your tent and keep your ice chest and dry goods under the Jeep at night.

I've had them raid our camp twice. The first time was at Buck Island. I had my chests along side my Jeep. A bear came in and carried off our dry goods about 100 yds and ate everything. I found it empty, covered in bear drool in the morning. I've kept my ice chest under the Jeep since then. The second time they came in and got someone else at Rubicon Springs.

Comment

I'm sure Jaclynn will bring her bug candles ... those seemed to have been a big hit last year as "camp fires"

Stuff:

* Spare rubicon front axle shafts all assembled,
                                * I could bring a spare D44 rubicon rear shaft but it doesn't have any bearings pressed on so not sure if it'll be of use.
                                * Unit bearing
                                * Assortment of basic tools
                                * Axle nut box end (36mm?),
                                * Winch,
                                * Pitman arm puller
                                * A couple of misc pullers that I've never used
                                * A BIG crow bar (comes in very handy for opening up shut exhaust tips)
                                * Compressed air (YORK + tank but no air tools)
                                * Flat repair kit (a few years ago we had like 5 tire fails I think in the group)
                                * An extra battery (running duals)
                                * Some misc fluids (little bit of each - space permitting)
                                03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
                                "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Working...
                                X