Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it! Have you tested it on any sheet metal yet? I made some very similar hinges (although much longer with much smaller) for my windshield frame. I used 5" shoulder bolts for the pins.

I'd have to agree--making tools that work can be very gratifying. It's also a very fundamentally human exercise which is becoming far too neglected in our society. Tools as simple as a steel plow helped to shape the course of American history, and Americans' freedom to improvise and innovate helped to make this a powerful and prosperous nation. Now as our big industry slides into oblivion, schools, instead of teaching more shop, are teaching less--phasing it out in favor of computers and other stuff that is often fluff at best. I think it's great you have your boy help you. It's an opportunity to influence and educate him in some very positive ways. Excuse my philosophical digression, but I appreciate what you're doing :bonk:
    holes = cowbell

Comment

Is the DOM 1/4" wall? 1" dia. with 1/2" wall doesn't leave a lot of room for a hinge pin. Great projects!!!
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

duh, yes 1/4 wall. I was thinking 1/2 inch total leaving a 1/2 inch hole, I guess. Thanks for the correction.

inVert'd, thank you, I am right with you.

Comment

Yes, I did test with a small piece of sheet metal (only about 4 inches wide), made a nice 90 degree bend. I also put a 45 degree bend in some 2" x .1875" flat stock pretty easily. It could have gone farther but it jammed on the clamp. It would be nice to make the clamp adjustable for material of different thicknesses.

Comment

With your skills, an adjustable brake should be a breeze. I have a severe case of fabrication envy. 2x1.875 is impressive. I'd have to use a 5" vise and hammer.
            -sons of thunder

Comment

ha ha, thanks - don't be too envious, I am just a beginner.

So I just made my first body panel. I had to use the thin edge of the clamp to do the two bends for the top of the panel. That edge has a pretty round edge, about a 1/8" radius. The bends came out a lot more round than my test with the more square edge on the other side of the clamp. They are a little more round than the factory bends I was trying to match, but it is pretty close. I might mess with a different clamping system, but not today!

The sheet metal is 18 gauge.

Comment

Can't say it's good enough for government work, yours is far better.
                -sons of thunder

Comment

Your too kind 6 speed. Thanks!

Today I finished welding my sub frame for the floor and tacked it to the front half of the body. Then I worked on fixing this old AstroMig 130 my Uncle gave me. I need the mig for the sheet metal work. Anyway, it was in rough shape. No trigger on the gun - made one. The wire feed wheel was broken - rigged up a way to clamp it. The wire was jammed in the liner - cleaned it out. Seems to be working now, but I had no gas. It would arc, but it was intermittent. I am hoping when the gas is refilled it will go. I will try to get to Airgas in the next day or two.

Oh yeah, got some 33 bfg MTs off craigslist, need to get them mounted up still, but I will probably wait until the rest is done.

Comment

Lack of gas won't make that thing arc intermittently. It should make rice crispy welds all day without gas. Are you sure it's arcing intermittently, or could it be feeding wire erratically? How's the ground clamp? Try messing with the amperage and wire feed speed. If the liner could be a problem, the best thing to do is replace it. Also check the polarity. For MIG you need DC negative, and for flux core you need DC positive. There should be a couple of wires in an accessible place--may even have butterfly nuts on them.
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

• Hmmm, I didn't think that was normal. It is a really consistent on/off a couple of times a second. The wire seems to be coming out smooth now, but maybe not smooth enough. The ground clamp is lame, an old jumper cable clamp. I will check the polarity too, although it was always used with solid wire and gas earlier in it's life. It just has been sitting a long time.

I probably should just get a decent one...

Comment

• I've had gas cause problems before. Enough about me. Watch the tension on the feeder assembly. I've had guys set it up so tight that it jams if the heat isn't high enough. The wire stops cold and welds itself to the tip but keeps feeding and makes an arcing rats nest in the feeder box. Or they set it so loose that it slips mid arc and you wind up with booger welds.
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

• Is that a 110V machine? How high do you have the amperage set?
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

• It is a 110 machine rated at 130 with 4 power settings. When I first tested it I had it on the lowest setting, I have no idea what the amperage is at that setting. And the wire feed was at about 2/3's up on the dial, again no idea what the feet per minute or however they measure it.

I just went out again and turned the wire speed down to 1/3 of full and turned the power up all the way and on a piece of 1/8 thick scrap it smoothed out. But when I went to lower power it was better at the lower wire speed, but still a little intermittent. I did have the wire jam up once, I think the tip might be messed up, the wire runs through the liner no problem, but the tip is a little sticky. I guess I will pick some tips up, which is about the most I am willing to invest in this thing.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

• With a 110 machine, turn the heat up and keep your tip speed slow. Adjust the feed till it gives a steady hiss with a nice low bead. This tells you that the penetration is good. If it pops and has gaps, speed up the feed a bit. If it pushes back or sticks in the tip, slow the feed down.
                              -sons of thunder

Comment

• Thanks for the set up tips. I am getting decent at stick welding, but the mig is new to me. I have been reading up but nothing like a little practical knowledge.

I will get out some the the 18 gauge sheet metal tomorrow and see if I can get it working correctly on that since that is all I will be doing with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X