Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! I really like the way you did the front of your frame. I kind of wish I would have done mine in that style to gain a couple more inches of up travel. But this way fits the body nicely and my leaf springs will be bent over backwards by the time they run into the frame.

Where do you buy your steel?

Comment

no doubt! that set up could take 4 time the power my dauntless is putting out. Maybe someday if the V6 ever konks out, although would have to find a few more inches (insert tasteless joke here}.

Comment

Originally posted by jonah View Post
        no doubt! that set up could take 4 time the power my dauntless is putting out. Maybe someday if the V6 ever konks out, although would have to find a few more inches (insert tasteless joke here}.
        Industrial Metal Supply. It's close to my work so I can stop by on my way home.
        Check out .

Comment

Got a tiny bit done this weekend.

Motor mounts done. Transmission mount not so much. But I got it close enough to set it down, so now she is holding her own weight for the first time.

Sitting at 19.75 with bald 31s, not even close to all of the weight is on it yet so it could easily come down another inch along the way, then up a couple with new shoes. I think I am going to be forced to clock up the np205 (aka,fat pig). Rear driveshaft is at 22 degrees with a 17 degree working angle at the transfer case. Rear pinion sitting at 20 degrees, hopefully the pinion bearing won't mind. It is a bit steeper that I wanted but it should work.

WILLYS, had to make it look like a jeep for the pic!

Now I just have to figure out a low profile transmission mount, get the bell housing machined so I can put the front bearing retainer back on the transmission, get driveshafts made, do all the plumbing/electrical, figure out pedals, figure out steering, figure out gas tank, figure out shocks, finish plating/welding the chassis, stretch the tub, fix all the holes in tub, build a trans tunnel, paint everything, build cage, get some seats/belts and that is it, I will be done. :bonk:

Comment

Think it will be done by this weekend?

I saw a '47(?) Willy's Overland Pickup on CL the other day. Always wanted one of those with a small block V8. Fortunately, I had no money.

If you would be interested in an SM465 to Dana 300 adapter, I might know where you could find one.
            holes = cowbell

Comment

I think I should probably allow two more weeks..

I might be interested in the adapter if the price is right, I am running low on funds at the moment. Is this the one that was on pirate?

Comment

I think I am going to go with the 6x6 body lift kit from Super Boss Extreme 4x4 Offroad Extreme. Don't be jealous!

Comment

That's awesome, how much total wheel travel do you expect to get with that? Just a thought, you could rip down some 2x8 doug fir and close the gap for a cleaner look.
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

WOW! Jonah you're kickin arse over there! 6x6?? Holy :poop:! Going for a ride in the clouds? Your work is looking great my freind. Keep it up and you'll be done before I am.
                    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I was thinking some nice bird's eye maple for a little bling!

The sad thing is, that was as low as the body can go until the sawzall comes out! I was trying to get it cut, but I had to button everything up before the last "storm" came through, then I had to work the last couple of days, so not too much progress. I did pull the drive train to get the bell and bearing retainer machined. Pulled the tcase off and noticed the rear output bearing on the tranny is toast, so now I have to decide if I will just replace that bearing or do the whole thing, the other bearings seem fine but...
                      I really need a press if I am going to do this tranny rebuild.

I also got a 32 spline front output shaft for my np205 (to replace the 30 spline). So now I can put my 1310 rear yoke on the front and I have a 32 spline H.A.D. flange for the rear.

Kurt, I don't know about finishing before you, but it got me thinking. I am going to have this thing done before my birthday, end of July. Should be doable if I don't change my plan too many more times. So I am sticking with my current drivetrain, I am not thinking about V8s, and I am most definitely not thinking about big axles with linked suspensions, I am not - seriously.

Comment

I was thinking some nice bird's eye maple for a little bling!

The sad thing is, that was as low as the body can go until the sawzall comes out! I was trying to get it cut, but I had to button everything up before the last "storm" came through, then I had to work the last couple of days, so not too much progress. I did pull the drive train to get the bell and bearing retainer machined. Pulled the tcase off and noticed the rear output bearing on the tranny is toast, so now I have to decide if I will just replace that bearing or do the whole thing, the other bearings seem fine but...
                        I really need a press if I am going to do this tranny rebuild.

I also got a 32 spline front output shaft for my np205 (to replace the 30 spline). So now I can put my 1310 rear yoke on the front and I have a 32 spline H.A.D. flange for the rear.

Kurt, I don't know about finishing before you, but it got me thinking. I am going to have this thing done before my birthday, end of July. Should be doable if I don't change my plan too many more times. So I am sticking with my current drivetrain, I am not thinking about V8s, and I am most definitely not thinking about big axles with linked suspensions, I am not - seriously.
                        That V6 is looking pretty small in there...

Comment

I would have you know that I am shaking my fist vigorously in the air at you right now!! Arrrrgh!!

Comment

Why is it that the placement of parts in a carburetor seem perfectly obvious and logical when you are disassembling and slightly less obvious and logical the next day when you are putting it back together?

Fingers crossed!! Oh well, maybe if it doesn't work I can get fuel injection!

Comment

Why is it that the placement of parts in a carburetor seem perfectly obvious and logical when you are disassembling and slightly less obvious and logical the next day when you are putting it back together?

Hey Jonah,
                              If you need help with that carburetor just say the word. Let's see, that the thingy that has a hole in the middle and has gas in it , right?

Comment

If you were drinking beer when you took it apart, be sure to drink an equal amount of beer when you put it back together.

A lot of International Harvester guys are using junkyard Chevy TBI injection systems on their old engines. For instance, with a little bit of tuning, the Chevy 350 TBI system works great on the IH 345. Just a thought. I suggest you get it working with the carb first. More straightforward than with the injection (BTDT).
                                holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                                X