Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haven't had the chance to read your whole build thread but that's nice work...

Comment

• Hey Jonah,
      When will you be ready to paint the tub? If I can get my Jeep done soon you can bring to my place and we'll paint it here. I have all the stuff.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• Ugh, I have been reading about paint like crazy. I hate paint. I know there are some great products, but some of them seem overkill. I mean this is just a trail beater

6spdYJ: Is the Krylon an enamel? I will have to look that up.

dirtman13: When you used POR-15, did you have a lot of clean metal or lots of rust? I have read that the adhesion isn't great on new metal. Although I am starting to get a little surface rust, it is mostly clean and smooth. I am going to sand off the mill scale, so it will have some tooth.

rr: Thanks!!

RP: That would be awesome, I am not a painter - it always gives me trouble. It will be a while before I am ready to paint the tub. My plan now is to get everything mechanical done and leave the body until last. I haven't looked at your build in a couple of days, but if you are on sheet metal and want to use my brake, you are welcome. It isn't the greatest, but it is better than nothing!

I think I might be able to work on the jeep this afternoon!! Can't wait!

Comment

• I stripped the frame down to bare metal and then used this: http://www.por15.com/METAL-READY/productinfo/MRG/
          It etches metal preparing it for the paint. I had very little to no rust on the frame. I also used the paint on new metal and it has held up fine.
          Check out .

Comment

• Thanks for the info. I had kind of written off POR-15 due to some of the things I have read about peeling from new metal. But maybe I should reconsider, most people say it is the best.

Did you topcoat the POR-15, or go as is?

Comment

• Originally posted by jonah View Post
              Ugh, I have been reading about paint like crazy. I hate paint. I know there are some great products, but some of them seem overkill. I mean this is just a trail beater

6spdYJ: Is the Krylon an enamel? I will have to look that up.

dirtman13: When you used POR-15, did you have a lot of clean metal or lots of rust? I have read that the adhesion isn't great on new metal. Although I am starting to get a little surface rust, it is mostly clean and smooth. I am going to sand off the mill scale, so it will have some tooth.

rr: Thanks!!

RP: That would be awesome, I am not a painter - it always gives me trouble. It will be a while before I am ready to paint the tub. My plan now is to get everything mechanical done and leave the body until last. I haven't looked at your build in a couple of days, but if you are on sheet metal and want to use my brake, you are welcome. It isn't the greatest, but it is better than nothing!

I think I might be able to work on the jeep this afternoon!! Can't wait!
              Jonah, I will take you up on the brake. I'm almost to the sheet metal part of the tour...

I've been painting cars since the 70's. Jeep tubs are easy stuff. I have some hot Candy Pink left from a Porche I painted for my sister. It's 20 years old but should be good. Let's throw it on that Jeep of yours...

Comment

• It's a look! I mean I am secure in my masculinity and everything, but not THAT secure....lol

Let me know when you want the brake and we can meet up.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonah View Post

It's a look! I mean I am secure in my masculinity and everything, but not THAT secure....lol

Let me know when you want the brake and we can meet up.
                  That is the color exactly! Good job finding that picture. One thing for sure; it will never be hard to find.

Comment

• You know, I just really took a close look at that pink jeep. The exhaust, tow bar, seat and body panels. Someone worked that baby.

Rough day at the jeep plant. Apparently whatever meager welding skills I had did not show up today. I never had so many bad welds. So a lot of extra time spent grinding. But I got my hitch receiver put in, the steering box bracket mounted and front shock towers on. Trying to figure out rear shocks. I don't think I have room to put them outside the frame, probably will just go inside for now, not ideal but it will work for now.

Decided on frame paint. I went with KBS Rust Seal system. Basically a moisture cured urethane like POR-15. The kit came with the degreaser, acid etch, basecoat, topcoat and they even throw in some gloves and brushes for 77 bucks (with coupon code I found on the web). Anyway I will give it a try.

Going to grind all the mill scale off tomorrow. Hopefully paint on Saturday if the UPS man shows up on time...

Comment

• Well, skip that. Just checked the tracking info and the paint is scheduled to be delivered next Tuesday - I hate ordering stuff online.

Comment

• If you paint it that pink color you may get a discount from your insurance company, I think that may be some type of theft deturant.
                        I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

• plat good point.

Comment

• Finally finished all the welding on the frame. Added 8 sleeved holes for mounting fuel tank and winch (hopefully-eventually). Added rear shock mounts. Was trying to use the mig, it was working good except the wind was a pain. Now I just have to clean it up and get some paint on it.

bottom of frame

back of frame

Rear shock mount

Hole

Another hole

Radiator with mounts.

Comment

• Looking good,I got to get out and practic with my welder.
                              Dennis and Tammy
                              Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

• Thanks GP4Play, just don't practice outside on a breezy day! What a pain, I had to grind out so many welds that got messed up when the wind kicked up mid-bead.

Spent the day prepping the frame for paint. I really wish I would have just paid for the sandblasting. A gallon of descaler, a lot of wire brushing, a dozen sanding disks and it is ready to go. Bonus, my paint from KBS arrived today. Going to try and get a coat on in the morning before work and then get back within 6 hours for the second coat, no problem. I will be so glad when this stage is done.

Comment

Working...
                                X