Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worked a bit, but just boring stuff. Started cleaning the engine. Anybody have recommendations on header painting or coating? I think I might just give the block a quick rattle can job so it looks decent.

Tore down my steering column and painted it. This is for the photo dudes - darkroom/paint booth.

Here is my T14/D20 combo. I have a line on an SM465 that I might go with instead.

Thats it and thats all.

Comment

Jonah,
      There are a couple of good heat resistant spray paints on the market that would work well for the exhaust. Other than that, there is not much to do there. The manifold will just rust eventually, so don't spend a lot of time worrying about coating them. If you want to take them off and bring them to me at the shop where we met, I'll throw them in the blast cabinet for ya. It only takes a few minutes.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Hey Kurt, That would be awesome, Thanks! When would be a good time to meet you over there?

Comment

Well, just bought a sm465/205 combo. Twin sticked and ready to go. Have to wait until next week to pick it up as it is up in the bay area.

Now my only problem is my buick bellhousing is has a 4 11/16 bore and the retainer on the 465 is 5 1/8. Novak will machine them to fit (open the bore to 5" and turn the retainer to 4.995") but I would have to deal with shipping everything.

Does anyone know a local machinist they would recommend for a job like this?

Thanks!

Comment

The SM465 will be great! The NP205 sounds a bit big for your rig, but at least you won't have to worry about breaking it!

Advance Adapters isn't exactly local (north or San Luis Obispo), but they're closer than Novak in Utah. Give them a call.
            holes = cowbell

Comment

yeah, the 205 is probably overkill, and the low range isn't that great, but it doesn't seem worth it to buy an adapter to use a different Tcase when this one is ready to go. I am glad that I made the frame wider to fit that beast. Plus the extra length is putting my driveshaft at maximum angle again, but I am going from a 33 crawl ratio to 60 :thumbs_up

I am hoping to find a local machinist because I don't have enough patience to wait for it to be shipped off and come back since I am stalled on my chassis until I can set the drivetrain. It should be a simple job, I am sure someone around here can do it.

Comment

If you know what to do, maybe you can do it... "Machining" is sometimes an overblown word that some folks use to intimidate others into thinking they can't do something themselves. Machining is just removing metal to a certain degree of accuracy. Have a belt sander? drill press? grinder? compass? micrometer? machinists' straightedge? A few key tools and some craftsmanship--badabing, badaboom! Notice I stopped short of lathe and mill--wouldn't we all like a couple of those?
                holes = cowbell

Comment

Yeah, believe me I have been looking at my wood lathe and thinking...

But the tough part would be opening the 4 11/16 bore to 5 inches accurately. And it does have to be accurate, I don't think misalignment of the engine an tranny would be good for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by jonah View Post
                    Yeah, believe me I have been looking at my wood lathe and thinking...

But the tough part would be opening the 4 11/16 bore to 5 inches accurately. And it does have to be accurate, I don't think misalignment of the engine an tranny would be good for anyone.
                    Jonah,
                    my machinist is in Buena Park, three blocks from my shop. Why don't you take the parts to him and see if can do it for you? Are you still coming by tonight? If so, show up around 4:45 or later.

Comment

Hey Kurt, I was still planning on coming by. I just finishing up with up work.

Comment

Got a few engine parts painted today. Thanks to Rat Patrol for the behemoth bead blasting beast to get my parts spic and span.

Before = Nasty

After = Nice

What I learned today was that I am never buying cheap paint again. I used some cheap stuff on my rear axle and it was lame, it didn't coat well, it chips really easily, it smelled bad (like burnt plastic going on).

For this I bought Dupli-color engine paint for the blue, good to 500 degrees. And I used VHT 2000 degree header paint for my manifolds. Both went on so nice and smooth. The spay nozzle actually made a fine mist of paint with no splatters, all around better, even smelled normal.

The VHT is really flat with a dusty film on top when it dries. I am going through the curing process now which is a series of heating it up and cooling it down, taking it hotter each time. I am interested to see what the finish is like after curing it.

My sm465/205 combo moved from Reno to Stockton today. I am going up to get it Thursday....I can't wait!! Then I can finally finish up my frame.

Comment

Those parts look really good.

Rat Patrol can you sand blast a frame or know of someone who can for not a bundle of money? My son needs the 72 cj frame done...

Comment

Hey RubiKat, the blasting cabinet isn't that big!! But he might know someone. Of course there is always the good old wire wheel...that is how I did my first frame fix up.

Comment

That is what Ryan has been doing most of the day, using a grinder and wire wheel. Looks much better already!

We get the rest of the jeep tomorrow so he can have even more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by RubiKat View Post
                                Those parts look really good.

Rat Patrol can you sand blast a frame or know of someone who can for not a bundle of money? My son needs the 72 cj frame done...
                                Kat,
                                My blast cabinet isn't long enough to fit a frame, but I can do engine blocks, transmissions and the like. I do know a place that can blast the frame, and even powder coat it if you want. I'm guessing it would cost $200 to blast. But I have to call to get afirm price.

Comment

Working...
                                X