Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
    I used a ZJ proportioning valve when I did my ZJ disc brake swap.

Upon swapping in the 8.8 I found that the caliper mounting brackets are nearly identical, and the part numbers cast in were only a few off. This might be a good place to start.

On the rear perches: the 8.8 tubes are 3.25" so the 3" perches will work. The longer perches could help with axle wrap. When my leaves went south they turned into a W shape right at the perches. The extra holes would come in handy later for stretching the rear, which may help your tires stuff better.
    May as well weld the tubes since the axle is out, and you are welding stuff already. 1/8 7018 worked well for me.

GL! :beer:
    Thank you for your detailed post. I will go with the first perches since i am spring under.

As for the valve. Any year ok?
    Last edited by Jeep4cern; 03-02-10, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I think mine was from a 96 but couldnt say for sure. Any ZJ with discs should work.
      An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

I wasn't saying no proportioning valve, I was simply stating that you do NOT want the rear locking up first or at the "same time" to have some sort of control if you ever do lock up the tires. Like Scott clarified, you want the fronts to lock up first, but hopefully you don't need to slam on the brakes so hard you lock up any tires.
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
          I wasn't saying no proportioning valve, I was simply stating that you do NOT want the rear locking up first or at the "same time" to have some sort of control if you ever do lock up the tires. Like Scott clarified, you want the fronts to lock up first, but hopefully you don't need to slam on the brakes so hard you lock up any tires.
          Ok. Say it like I am in 3rd grade By puting the valve in you can split the line pressure to "x" up front and "x" to the rear? So, the fronts get more stopping power? Kinda sort of?

Comment

No it limits brake fluid pressure to the rear, leaves the front untouched

Comment

Why don't you see if your stock proportioning valve works with the new set up first? What worked with another’s may not work with yours especially since you probably have a different master cylinder and different bore then what others have mentioned. You may find that your stock one works fine and save a few bucks.
              Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                Why don't you see if your stock proportioning valve works with the new set up first? What worked with another’s may not work with yours especially since you probably have a different master cylinder and different bore then what others have mentioned. You may find that your stock one works fine and save a few bucks.
                Good point! I am just trying to get all the parts together and on hand for when I do it.

Got to love the internet, saves you time and money asking questions Thanks Chuck!

Ron

Comment

Ok. Removed diff cover. No surprises. Just drained it. I will clean it out later.

Question? The metal plates for lack of behind the disc brakes. They are bent beyond recovery. I remove the disc, caliper, and the 4 bolts in the rear to take it off?

Thanks

Comment

Yup. This is a good time to replace the brake shoes for the e-brake too.
                    Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Here is a picture of my parking brake setup.

Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by ou812 View Post
                        here is a picture of my parking brake setup.

lol!!!

Comment

scott those are pimp where did u get them? j/k

Comment

Put an eye bolt through it and wrap a chain through the wheel and it's doubles as security too

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                              x2. I'm not speaking from experience, I'm speaking from what I've read of others' builds. Most people say to leave the proportioning valve alone.
                              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Good, bad, or ugly. There is the inside. Cleaned her up and sealed her closed. Oil next. Anyone know how much oil she takes?

Comment

Working...
                                X