Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sebastian22, I have 4:10 and 33's and I am still int he truck lane! Any higher gearing will lower my top speed. So, I am stroking the motor. It's actually very close to the same price to do gears and you actually get more hp. Remember gearing doesn't give you more hp, just sooner. I am sure some will disagree. If you have the 4.0 think about stroking the motor. I already got my 4.2l crank and rods, and had them machined Only a few things left to get and I am ready for the install.

Scott, thanks. I am going to take my time and make it the way I want. I have time

Comment

ron i thought yj came with a 4.2. but anyway tell me more about this stroker idea. and ou812 why the hell would u truss an 8.8 unless ur 4 linking it? just weld up the tubes, gear and lock it.

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
        ron i thought yj came with a 4.2. but anyway tell me more about this stroker idea. and ou812 why the hell would u truss an 8.8 unless ur 4 linking it? just weld up the tubes, gear and lock it.
        Nope. The 91-95(?) came with the 4.0 HO if I remember on the years. So, you take the crank from a 4.2 and rods and put it into a 4.0 HO (or non HO) along with a 1999+ intake and 24# fuel injectors and you get ALMOST 300hp and forget the torque. Not bad You can do a cam too. I know someone will post hp doesn't do much in the trail and I agree. I just forgot what the torque was. Although, the hp keeps you out of the truck lane I found and machined my crank and rods already. Almost there

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/87-octane-4-6-stroker-build-913883/

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/parts.html
        Last edited by Jeep4cern; 02-23-10, 07:53 PM.

Comment

ron i thought yj came with a 4.2. but anyway tell me more about this stroker idea.
          The older YJs came with 4.2s, the newer with 4.0s (don't remember the cut-off year).

and ou812 why the hell would u truss an 8.8 unless ur 4 linking it?
          To make it stronger and more rigid, duh?

Trusses just happen to be handy for mounting links. Unlike the 35, the 8.8 is actually worth the trouble of trussing. Heck, I once bought a truck with a bent Ford 9". The bottom of the diff actually had a big dent in it. Strange but true. Needless to say I replaced that housing. Ron would probably be fine for awhile even if he doesn't weld the tubes, because he doesn't wheel that hard...yet. Heck, I used to get good air in my Ford Exploder, and I never had a problem with the axles. Still, welding the tubes is a darn good idea, and trussing it wouldn't hurt anything either.
          holes = cowbell

Comment

The cut off year for the 4.2 was 89, although I have seen a 90 with a 4.2 that looked OEM.

I don't plan on linking my rear but would not mind a truss. My point wasn't that it is needed. But if you want to do one don't wait till it is bolted up to the jeep to do it.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

ou812 gotcha. im not saying dont do a truss im just refering to the 8.8 being "beefy". i would love to have one but would rather put my money in something that is needed rather than a luxury... until the time comes. and just for the hell of it whats the difference between the 35 44 and 8.8 tubes they are all "pressed and plugged". why is everyone so hip to welding the tubes on the 8.8? why not the 35 and 44 as well. just curious.

Comment

Ok. I am probably going down on Sunday. I am limited on the tools I have. Does anyone know the sizes and tools I will need?

Thanks.

Comment

bails85 the 8.8 has more problems with tubes spinning than the other two. It is easier to find a 8.8 than a 44, and a 35 is just a really good anchor.
                  IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                    Ok. I am probably going down on Sunday. I am limited on the tools I have. Does anyone know the sizes and tools I will need?

Thanks.
                    3/4 deep wall socket for the u bolts. Don't forget you will need the ubolt plates too. I think it is a 3/8 for the brake lines and you want to take the whole e-brake cable also. You might want to take a 1/2 to pull the cover and look at the gears and confirm it is LSD(LSD has and S spring).
                    Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Which spring has a S shape? On the axle or E brake?

Comment

It is inside the spider gears.
                        http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles.../photo_04.html
                        Those left standing
                        Will make millions
                        Writing books on ways
                        It should have been
                        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

scott will the ford e brake lines fit on the yj. i know that there is some rigging to do on an xj or u just buy them from mountain and the u bolts and plates i was told wont fit either.

Comment

Thanks for all the help Scott!

Is this kit needed?

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Fo...87_1995_YJ.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                              Thanks for all the help Scott!

Is this kit needed?

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Fo...87_1995_YJ.htm
                              That one works.
                              Those left standing
                              Will make millions
                              Writing books on ways
                              It should have been
                              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

scott will the ford e brake lines fit on the yj. i know that there is some rigging to do on an xj or u just buy them from mountain and the u bolts and plates i was told wont fit either.
                                I have the Ford e-brake cables and my ebrake sucks. Maybe it’s not setup rite. We just put an 8.8 in 2blk2drs' XJ. He used an aftermarket e-brake cable setup and his ebrake can lock the tires at 20mph. You might PM 2blk2drs and ask him which kit he used.
                                Those left standing
                                Will make millions
                                Writing books on ways
                                It should have been
                                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                                X