Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice meeting some of you guys on the Devil's Hole run.

I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with the actual Devil's Hole trail run. It was essentially a fire road and then one so-so obstacle that had some nice scenery. Then back to a fire road.

What really made the day though, was the un-planned run to Dishpan. That really made my day! I definitely want to run that again and take the harder line up the waterfall.

Randog -- How did Holcomb go? Did you guys start in Big Bear (East side) or near the arrowhead side (west)? I have a couple short videos of Dishpan, will upload in the next few days.

Comment

Dishpan waterfall with a locked LJ is very do able, if it start crabbing to the left though stop and back down or you are going to be unhappy. It has a few fun spots. Devils hole is a trail you would do for the end destination the pond is a gorgeous piece of nature.
      Other than that it's just a dirt road with nice scenery

Comment

Originally posted by suicideking View Post
        Randog -- How did Holcomb go? Did you guys start in Big Bear (East side) or near the arrowhead side (west)? I have a couple short videos of Dishpan, will upload in the next few days.
        We took the actual trail with the three rock gardens and not the road that runs north east to John Bull.

Tom has some mad driving skills, I was impressed. He made it look easy driving basicly a stock jeep with open difs on that trail.

Our guide broke down after the first rock garden with a broken pitman arm. Someone had to back to town to get a new one. We went on with a new guide and she ended getting stuck in the last rock garden near Crab Flats road.
        Last edited by Randog; 06-19-12, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Dishpan is a fun run, I ran it sunday. There was a beast of an XJ behind me that broke his front drive shaft, then a rear axle, and then I towed his the rest of the way to the access road. White mountain had two excited hill climbs but the drive out was not worth it just for that. It is trail that needs combined with a few others. My new transfer case blew the rear output seal saturday and I had to run to a parts store to put a bandaid on it for the weekend. All in all a decent weekend, but I'd rather run 2-3 trails a day with less people than put 20 rigs through a trail in 6 hours
          "A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools" -Thucydides

Comment

I know, it took us 6 hours to run Holcomb and at least 6 hours on Dishpan. Its fun with that many rigs and I don't mind waiting for everyone to get thru but when somthing breaks it take for ever for the trail to clear.

Comment

Nice meeting some of you guys on the Devil's Hole run.

I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with the actual Devil's Hole trail run. It was essentially a fire road and then one so-so obstacle that had some nice scenery. Then back to a fire road.
              That is a learning curve there. All of the trails in SBNF are pretty much fire roads with a few exceptions. But due to the rating system, if an otherwise green circle trail/road has one obstacle that is rated black diamond, the entire trail gets a BD rating. Thats just the way it is. So if you want the most rock climbing bang for your buck, the two best trails for that are #1, John Bull, and #2, Holcomb. And we are working to make Holcomb even rockier
              What really made the day though, was the un-planned run to Dishpan. That really made my day! I definitely want to run that again and take the harder line up the waterfall.
              Dishpan is a very fun trail, but again, just mainly one obstacle that is difficult. The rest is ruts and off camber shelf road. The Right hand line up the face of the waterfall is big fun and can get crazy (seen a CJ or two hop on one wheel there a few times).
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Big Bear Forest Fest 15 was a huge success for IE4W, the vendors, and the participants. The food, vendor area, raffle, trail guides and spotters were all outstanding. MJR attendees that I met up with were Dan the Partsman, Randog (Randy), Bimota Bruce (Bruce), and Suicideking (Rick). Since I took my daily driver LJ this year, I chose Devil's Hole on Saturday and Holcomb Creek for Sunday. Although these were rated as easier runs, I still had to lie about having a locker. Here are some photos:

Line-up & air down for Devil's Hole:

Parking for Devil's Hole was like sardines in a can, but the spot is beautiful

Sunday on Holcomb Creek. Here is Randog on the 1st obstacle:

Followed by Bimota Bruce:

My son Jason:

Me in my Barbie Jeep:

That's it. See you next year at BBFF...
                I spend most of my money on four-wheeling, the rest I just waste.

Comment

I had lots of fun too! Took my wife, my 17 year old son Chris, and my 3 year old Princess - we all had a great time. Met up with Randy early and the rest of the MJR'ers rolling in throughout Friday. I think they said there were a total of 325 Jeeps and 100+ motorhomes, and my experiences on the trail were all good - I'd like to thank the IE4W folks for all the hard work they put into it. Dinner was great, but the raffle could have ended about an hour earlier (or with me winning something!) Tom's son Jason did help me get fixed up with a great deal on a Smittybuilt winch someone won it in the raffle but already had one so she parted with it cheap.

I didn't go on the hardest trails . . . Horsethief Flats on Saturday with my wife and daughter was perfect for my wife's comfort level on her 2nd 4x trip ever. The princess of course yelling out "faster daddy faster" from the back seat constantly! Had a nice lunch at a little oasis at the bottom and a fun trip back up the hill.

Sunday was Gold Mountain with my son - nice little trail with a couple of challenges and a nice rock garden The old CJ performed pretty good, and my wife is excited about doing it again - hey thats important!! Also thanks to the MJR'ers that were there for their friendship. I will post a few pictures later.
                  Last edited by DanPartsman; 06-19-12, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Awe Man I wanna go Wheelin. Upset I missed this but spent time with Family and happy I did. I feel this itch and I can't scratch it. I hope the 23rd AAT hits the spot for a week or two...

Now I Know Randog can show me around in his paper plated 4dr.

4drs Unite.

Danny
                    [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

Here are the videos I took of Randog on Dishpan.

Not sure this part is actually considered Dishpan or just right by it....

Devil's Hole

Me on Dishpan
                      Last edited by suicideking; 06-19-12, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
                        That is a learning curve there. All of the trails in SBNF are pretty much fire roads with a few exceptions. But due to the rating system, if an otherwise green circle trail/road has one obstacle that is rated black diamond, the entire trail gets a BD rating. Thats just the way it is. So if you want the most rock climbing bang for your buck, the two best trails for that are #1, John Bull, and #2, Holcomb. And we are working to make Holcomb even rockier

Dishpan is a very fun trail, but again, just mainly one obstacle that is difficult. The rest is ruts and off camber shelf road. The Right hand line up the face of the waterfall is big fun and can get crazy (seen a CJ or two hop on one wheel there a few times).

Makes sense about the ratings. I guess if there's one difficult spot, it should be rated difficult. I'd just hardly call it a trail. More like a cul de sac...

Yeah, I did Holcomb once before. Definitely want to do that one again! Last time I did it I didn't have my front locker so struggled on pretty much everything. I can't wait to try it again.

Comment

Originally posted by JK08 View Post
                          Awe Man I wanna go Wheelin. Upset I missed this but spent time with Family and happy I did. I feel this itch and I can't scratch it. I hope the 23rd AAT hits the spot for a week or two...

Now I Know Randog can show me around in his paper plated 4dr.

4drs Unite.

Danny
                          Sorry Bro,

I cant make the AAT thing I wanted to go and I wanted to get involved but I spent the last two weekends up there and I needed to re group

Comment

Ok wise guy, try this: "I cant make the AAT thing; I [COLOR="red"]want[/COLOR] to go and I [COLOR="red"]want[/COLOR] to get involved but I spent the last two weekends up there and I needed to re group" It dosn't change the fact that I cant make it that weekend or that I [COLOR="red"]want[/COLOR] to get involved...

Mama done tried in fixen my grammar it aint done a good job neither :homer:

Comment

[COLOR="darkred"]I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be a wise guy. Apologies.[/COLOR]
                              [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                              Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Ain't nothing Cuz, I'm just messing with you

Comment

Working...
                                X