Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goodtimes
    We did roll a tacoma in diablo drop a couple years ago--not sure just how that happened, but last year I went up that same spot--- in reverse. It has really filled in.
    We don't talk about rolling around me. I am a little nervous about that now. I was having a fit going up that first hill at Miller. Oh, and then there was that little rock that I slid off of just above where the Ford Ranger fell off the cliff. Get my smelling salts please.

Comment

Anza-Borrego State Park is not in AZ

Originally posted by CMeTopless818
      I guess Yahoo doubled the time, if it's a 3 hour drive I might be up for it. Good way to see AZ for the first time.
      Anza-Borrego State Park is definitely not in Arizona and I would also argue that it is somewhat difficult to see Arizona from A-B unless you have the ability to jump several thousand feet into the air.

I would however not contest the issue if some would say that Anza-Borrego is Mexico Norte. You will be very close to the US-MX border.

Watch for border crossers and stay with your vehicle. Don't cross the border or risk vehicle confiscation. Charles Well's words not mine.
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
      2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Anything that close to the border is going to have border jumpers. It's their Coyotes you have to watch for. As long as you are in a large group and don't leave a vehicle behind (such as a broken one), there is no problem.

And we are not going to be close enough to the border to worry about crossing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
          You'll be ok on the squeeze.

Heart Attack Hill might be interesting

OOOooooo ...

Josh

Comment

I am just worried about my body work in the Squeeze. It is very narrow in there. I don't have rocker guards yet. If 4xDoctor ever answers the phone or returns an email...or opens. I might have some...or I might get some Sun guards.

As for going down a steep hill, I did one that was rather interesting at Mengel Pass. I had it down as low as it would go - 1st and 4Low. Didn't touch the brakes and still skied my way down. It was interesting keeping the tail from getting out of line.

Comment

What is the "Squeeze" like? Does anyone have a link to a page with info on these trails?

Josh

Comment

Never mind. I guess the area is called the Pinyon Mountain Trail.

Here are some pics:

www.justruns.com/gallery/album86

Josh

Comment

I've heard that full sized trucks get to go to the body shop after the Squeeze.

Tam! Chris! Spot me please?

Comment

With a spotter the squeeze is nothing to worry about. Heart Attack Hill is the one with high pucker factor. Look at it this way you're better off in your non-lifted rig than a high one cause you're center of gravity is lower so it's not as scary for ya. Just don't start "coasting" down it in neutral and then hit the brakes! You'll be fine though, nothing to worry about. It'll regain your confidence for sure!

Rich

Originally posted by qwiksilver
                    I've heard that full sized trucks get to go to the body shop after the Squeeze.

Tam! Chris! Spot me please?

Comment

Originally posted by m1jeep
                      With a spotter the squeeze is nothing to worry about. Heart Attack Hill is the one with high pucker factor. Look at it this way you're better off in your non-lifted rig than a high one cause you're center of gravity is lower so it's not as scary for ya. Just don't start "coasting" down it in neutral and then hit the brakes! You'll be fine though, nothing to worry about. It'll regain your confidence for sure!

Rich
                      From the looks of it, put it in 1st and 4Low, square it as best you can, and not faint when it tips a bit to one side (still gun shy there). I don't believe in coasting hills at all and try not to touch the brakes if at all possible. I had to ski a hill at Mengel Pass even though the engine was doing all the braking. All I could do was make certain the tail didn't get out of line. Scary when you are sliding faster than the wheels are turning.

Comment

I'm tellin' ya Crickett, Heart attack hill is nothing to worry about. I crawled it last year, there is plenty of traction to be had if you can keep your tires on the ground, or if you have lockers. Going down is a piece of cake, and hardly a challenge. Going up is kind fun though. The pic that Chris posted is the harder of the two lines, at the very top, which is the absolute worst spot on the obstical, and, he was in a long wheel base....I came through that same spot in my [stock] tj and hardly lifted a tire.
                        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Erik--no problem on the cooler. I should be able to find room to squeeze it in there somewhere.

Josh--the plan is to camp saturday night. We will set up camp where ever we find a spot that we like (I have one or two in mine, if I can find them again). It will not be a "base camp" type of deal where we set up camp, and then make runs out of there. It will be more of a caravan trip where we set up camp when we get tired and find a spot, which means 'wheeling with all your crap.

OK, the following people have indicated they are "in":
                          Tammy
                          Chris
                          Crickett
                          Josh

And these people have mentioned going, but not said they are "in":
                          Big Rick
                          CC2
                          Stoked
                          Cmetopless818

As I recall, cell phone service is decent at the meeting spot, but quickly goes away once we get off the main road. Those that have not done so already, please let me know if you are definately in, that way we don't leave you behind if you show up a few minutes late. If I don't know your coming, I won't wait!

If anyone needs clarification on anything, please let me know. I will be home until friday afternoon. PM's or E-mail, or AIM work best because I am still having intermittant trouble posting on the board.
                          olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I was just sayin' that pointing my nose straight down hill and hanging in the seatbelt doesn't bother me that much. I am just a bit gun shy about the sideways thing. You can kind of see why. The first few minutes up at Miller I thought I was going to have to pull over and find a bush. Sorry, didn't mean to sound over anxious.

Comment

looks like i'll be going sat. early to meet up there.

cme and quicksilver if you want to follow me there we can convoy.

my trailer is welded back up and i'm ready to rock.

somebody email me with the info for sat morning and where i can park the van and trailer

thanks
                              larrygo
                              sidone78@hotmail.com
                              Last edited by unclegreaser; 01-01-04, 11:39 PM.
                              92 YJ all new stuff this year!!! rockcrawling at a trail near you.

Comment

I'm out, if I change my mind I will call you tonight Larry.
                                *Pebbles* 02 Sport Canyon Package
                                Rockers by JCFabAndDesign.com/XM Commander
                                Jeep Owner since '96 87YJ

Comment

Working...
                                X