Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoked
    cc2

your route looks a little out of the way to get to Anza Borrego, you might want to look at taking the 15 to Temecula to the 79 to the Anza Borrego turn off.
    I have taken both routes into Anza Borrego. It depend on which portion of the park you want to got to. I10 down to the Salton Sea is a good fast approach and takes you into Octillo Wells Offroad Area as well. It is a flat, straight, fast route.

I 15 through 79 also works but has a lot more mountain driving. I recall it takes a bit longer going through that route. The last stretch is a steep, winding, but beautiful scenic drive that drops you right down into the park.

If you have the time, take I 15 down through the front and exit through the Salton Sea route back home (assuming you are coming from the Los Angeles area). San Diego folks should stick with I 15.

Comment

Ok kool so you know the way

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
        Corrizo badlands overlook:

N32 49 32.8 W116 09 39.7

On S-2, just south of Sweeny pass, on the east side of the road. Nearest gas/ice/food is 10 - 15 miles south of the overlook, in Ocotillo.

From 8: turn north onto S-2 in ocotillo. overlook is on the right 10 - 15 miles, there are several entrances, most marked with small signs. If you get to sweeny pass, you went about a mile to far

From 78 (oceanside): Turn south on S-2, overlook on left just past sweeny pass. If you get to the Imperial hiway monument (on left), you went too far.

From 79 (temecula) head south to San Felipe rd, turn left. turn right onto 78, and make a immediate left onto S-2 south.
        Here is a few maps -

Comment

So, am I correct? Meet at the OVERLOOK at 9:00 AM on SAT Jan 3rd for a day run for some and camping for others? Stock rigs are OK and the storms will have left clean clear skies and some Mud to play in.
          Rubi,5sp, Gold, OME lift, Viair 450H SwayLoc, JKS 1.25" BL & 1" MM , GY 285/75-16 MTR's. Warn 9500Ti, dual Yellow Optima's, Nth' 1.25"drop TT /UCA's, T W DS, JKS F&R LCA's, M.O.R.E H C Front Bumper.

Comment

Originally posted by king4wd2
            I didn't imply that nothing will happen. We don't have (in my opinion) sufficient lighting on the Jeep to do nightruns. At least, I'm not comfortable with just the headlights. I'm sorry I offended anyone!
            No offense. If you are uncomfortable with something...that's that. No problem. Never apologize for your comfort level. You can look left and see what happens when you get out of your comfort level. We want you to stay comfortable and safe.

Comment

One huge thing needs to be answered: What are the bypasses like? I am on 31" tires and no lift. And right now I am a little gun shy after my flop. I've heard the Squeeze doesn't have a bypass.

Comment

Who here is planning to camp?

I would not mind showing up early so that I can get stuff set up and unload the Jeep.

Josh

Comment

Ok, here is a better map - PDF format:

www.parks.ca.gov/pages/638/files/ABDSPmap.pdf

That area is a good bit south of where I was thinking it was. When I go to the Ocotillo, I usually camp at Holmes. That appears to be farther than all the above maps indicate. The overlook is closer to the 8 freeway than Ocotillo.

I have no idea where to camp down there.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by qwiksilver
                    One huge thing needs to be answered: What are the bypasses like? I am on 31" tires and no lift. And right now I am a little gun shy after my flop. I've heard the Squeeze doesn't have a bypass.
                    I'm on 30's but have the Dana 44 (Canyon Package on my '02 Sport) I've been a Jeep Owner since '96 but still a Newbie in 4WD. (I should have played in my paid off YJ)
                    *Pebbles* 02 Sport Canyon Package
                    Rockers by JCFabAndDesign.com/XM Commander
                    Jeep Owner since '96 87YJ

Comment

Originally posted by qwiksilver
                      You'll be ok on the squeeze.

Heart Attack Hill might be interesting

[COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

WooooHooo!!!! Got Sand ?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoked
                          WooooHooo!!!! Got Sand ?
                          Nope, RUTS!!! Big F'ing RUTS!!!
                          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Chris, stop scaring me. And above all, stop scaring Karie. You better be prepared to do some serious spotting. I can't afford any more repairs.

Tammy, make Chris stop scaring us.

Comment

I went up heart attack hill last year. It took 43 seconds for me to idle up the left line. It took about 90 seconds for the right line because I had to bump it over one rock. We also got a 4 door s-10 pickup up the left side, so you know it wasn't that difficult! There is no bypass for the squeeze, window rock, or heart attack hill. There are 2 lines for HAH, neither are too bad. There are 3 or 4 lines for Diablo Drop off. We did roll a tacoma in diablo drop a couple years ago--not sure just how that happened, but last year I went up that same spot--- in reverse. It has really filled in.

For those who are familiar with the SVRA at Ocotillo Wells, we are not starting anywhere near that area, but we are ending saturday in that area. We are starting 10 or 15 miles north of Ocotillo (the town at the intersection of the 8 and S-2).

On this map look just south west of the corrizo impact area, you will see the corrizo badlands overlook.

Also, keep in mind that this is a "exploring" type of trip. There are hundreds of roads in the area. We may see something we want to check out that is not on the afore-mentioned roads, in which case we may change plans and go see it. But the general plan is to start on S-2, and work our way over to split mountain road on Saturday. It is a easy exit from split mountain road (runs into ocotillo wells, and the 78)
                              Last edited by goodtimes; 12-29-03, 03:57 PM.
                              olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

i would like to join you guys out there... sounds like a damn good time. the wife and i are going to be in big bear. have fun!
                                GOODTIMES, if you havent grown too attatched to the cooler... could you give it to one of the locals to give to me? thanks! erik
                                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                                X