This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 100dollarman View Post
    We all know RSC is not a secret trail. I have been going there since the 1970s.

I am just wondering if the increased travel in Rattlesnake canyon caused by "spreading the word" will bring more problems than we had before.

I think 99% (maybe not literally 99%) of offroaders already know not to speed pass a 15MPH sign, and to be respectful of the livestock. There will always be that 1% that are "ignorant" even after reading the info.

Dont get me wrong-- I am ALL FOR keeping a trail open!

I am just saying that we have 1 bad apple out of 100 Jeepers now---- we will most likely have more bad apples (more problems in RSC) as traffic increases.

Please correct me if my math is wrong.

Also- please know that I mean no disrespect to anyone trying to help our trail situation.

Its just that I am not sure that all of the added publicity for the trail is best in the long run. (I HOPE it is!)

Just my thoughts!
    [COLOR="Sienna"]I see your logic, and I don't think it's flawed. I too think that with increased traffic will come more of those "I don't give a sh*t" offroaders. It's them which the campaign is trying to reach. Trying to convince them to help out.

I personally had no idea there were cattle there, or that the rancher had grazing rights until this very thread. So, my ignorance was cured. It did do some good.

I think your 99% should probably read 85% (as much as I hate to say that out loud) but I also think it's up to us to try to 'police our own' before legislators get brought into the picture. Having been a Hi-Desert dweller for a long time now, I believe the townships would rather shut things down than to work with anyone to come to a mutual solution. I'm speaking with experience in 29 Palms only of course. [/COLOR]

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
    Yep! I agree. I think the pitch to the local owners at gas stations is if it's shut down that's less traffic for them for gas, etc. So, let us put up some flyers by the register to get the word out. I know some local papers who would put it in there for free just for the cause.
    [COLOR="Sienna"]Okay, who's got a pen and an Engrish degree?[/COLOR]
    Last edited by USMC 0369; 09-28-09, 07:17 PM.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
      [COLOR="Sienna"]I see your logic, and I don't think it's flawed. I too think that with increased traffic will come more of those "I don't give a sh*t" offroaders. It's them which the campaign is trying to reach. Trying to convince them to help out.

I personally had no idea there were cattle there, or that the rancher had grazing rights until this very thread. So, my ignorance was cured. It did do some good.

I think your 99% should probably read 85% (as much as I hate to say that out loud) but I also think it's up to us to try to 'police our own' before legislators get brought into the picture. Having been a Hi-Desert dweller for a long time now, I believe the townships would rather shut things down than to work with anyone to come to a mutual solution. I'm speaking with experience in 29 Palms only of course. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Sienna"]Okay, who's got a pen and an Engrish degree?[/COLOR]
      Originally Posted by Jeep4cern
      Yep! I agree. I think the pitch to the local owners at gas stations is if it's shut down that's less traffic for them for gas, etc. So, let us put up some flyers by the register to get the word out. I know some local papers who would put it in there for free just for the cause.
      Tired. Ok. Try to follow

[COLOR="Red"]I agree. I think the best approach is to "pitch" to the local owners, and gas stations that leaving a flyer will help get the word out. If they say, "no". Then help them understand that if RSC gets closed down, that's less people coming through.

I think some of the local papers would help out with a small ad to get the word out.[/COLOR]

Check your grammar too I got my own red pen. Off to watch a movie :tongue:
      Last edited by Jeep4cern; 09-28-09, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
        Tired. Ok. Try to follow

[COLOR="Red"]I agree. I think the best approach is to "pitch" to the local owners, and gas stations that leaving a flyer will help get the word out. If they say, "no". Then help them understand that if RSC gets closed down, that's less people coming through.

I think some of the local papers would help out with a small ad to get the word out.[/COLOR]

I got my own red pen. Off to watch a movie :tongue:
        [COLOR="Sienna"]I followed you completely...I was just asking who is going to draw up the flyer and write the editorial? You don't want me doing it, I promise.[/COLOR]
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
          [COLOR="Sienna"]I followed you completely...I was just asking who is going to draw up the flyer and write the editorial? You don't want me doing it, I promise.[/COLOR]
          Me either! I am actually laughing. Funny story. I tested out at a private college as an RRT. I passed with flying colors, but never went that route. It's funny because, I told my wife (Nurse), "I will never pass". My english is bad, and forget math (anything beyond plus and minus). So, she spent three nights going over everything I should know. In the end, I passed. Actually, I tested good enough for the RN program. I think most of us get used to text (spelling things quick and wrong) and quick email's we forget the right way. But, once you have to, you remember.

As for handing them out. I would 100%. Just get me some.
          Last edited by Jeep4cern; 09-28-09, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• Nick,

Great points. Was nice to see you at the hammers. I thought that is was cool that the signs in RSC were not shot or bothered. And yes that canyon has been used for moter travel for over 50 years. Mining started in that canyon over 100 years ago. I've seen pictures from Desert Magazine from the 50's and 60's about driving up RSC. I don't think this will add that much extra attention since that it's listed in a dozen trail books (some of which I loaned out). I think that this a good cause and one that we all can benefit from.

And Mark, I do understand your concern, but I think that it will be OK.

Mitch

Comment

• Originally posted by great88 View Post
              Nick,

Great points. Was nice to see you at the hammers. I thought that is was cool that the signs in RSC were not shot or bothered. And yes that canyon has been used for moter travel for over 50 years. Mining started in that canyon over 100 years ago. I've seen pictures from Desert Magazine from the 50's and 60's about driving up RSC. I don't think this will add that much extra attention since that it's listed in a dozen trail books (some of which I loaned out). I think that this a good cause and one that we all can benefit from.

And Mark, I do understand your concern, but I think that it will be OK.

Mitch
              Thanks for reminding me. I do have them. I have your address (I'll confirm in PM) and I'll get those to you.

Comment

• Ron,

We, You, need to run this again. Lots of fun learnig things on this trail. I see different things and different lines everytime I go there. I've run this like 10 - 12 times now and it is always different.

Mitch

Comment

• Originally posted by great88 View Post
                  Ron,

We, You, need to run this again. Lots of fun learnig things on this trail. I see different things and different lines everytime I go there. I've run this like 10 - 12 times now and it is always different.

Mitch
                  I want to do that one again and the other one Scott talked about. Both. Well, not in one day..lol Ill text you and well set something up. Once Dawn's schedule comes out, I can give you a day (so I have someone to watch Ethan).

Comment

• Mark (100dollarman),

I understand where you are coming from. But to do nothing is not the right way either.

For example, Saturday morning Mitch & I met up with two seperate off-road groups airing down at 247 and the trail head. We discussed the issuses with them and they already read it on the internet!

Both groups indicated they were grateful an off-road group was heading this up.

Concerning my recommendation about adding signs was before I knew Billy had already placed signs. Once I saw them, I decided right then that we wouldn't need to place signs, because the ones posted should keep law abiding citizens lawful.

Really my biggest concern is with motorcycle riders. I don't know how most bikes would handle going slowly through the soft sand in the canyon.

One last thought. Trails become a "fad" for a while and then loose their popularity. So if there's is a big influx of off-roaders in Rattlesnake canyon, I suspect that the numbers will decrease in time. Having said that, Katie-bar-the-door if the Marines do annex Johnson Valley. Everywhere else in the Mojave will feel the pressure from increased use of a smaller area....
                    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                    MJR moderator
                    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

• Rancher Billy Mitchell

Rancher Billy Mitchell is a fake. I have met him several times. No cattle or horses have ever been hit on his LEASE by a jeep or offroad vehicle. He is the laughing stock of the BLM, just ask Anthony Chavez or Roxie Trost. Normaly when he is yelling at jeep clubs he is drunk or has an open beer in is truck. These are facts not slander. He has made up more stories and passed them on as facts than anyone I know. He has no more right to the land than any of us period. He pays $2500 per year for a 29000 acre lease. Fact check everything he tells you, and you will see he is a phony. He has Roger snowballed. Roger, I like you but fact check this guy and you will see the truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Statesoffroad View Post
                        Rancher Billy Mitchell is a fake. I have met him several times. No cattle or horses have ever been hit on his LEASE by a jeep or offroad vehicle. He is the laughing stock of the BLM, just ask Anthony Chavez or Roxie Trost. Normaly when he is yelling at jeep clubs he is drunk or has an open beer in is truck. These are facts not slander. He has made up more stories and passed them on as facts than anyone I know. He has no more right to the land than any of us period. He pays $2500 per year for a 29000 acre lease. Fact check everything he tells you, and you will see he is a phony. He has Roger snowballed. Roger, I like you but fact check this guy and you will see the truth.
                        Well I don't know you, But I have met Billy a few times. He's never been drunk and has been very cordial. You've only posted once on this thread, which gives you 0 credence here. Why don't you post a link to this information you have on Billy and stop ripping him a new ass on this forum. If you have a personal beef with him, take it somewhere else.
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• Originally posted by Statesoffroad View Post

thanks for your opinion.
                          I've not met you or Mr. Mitchell.
                          but from your post, I'd rather meet Mr. Mitchell.

the issue is being good neighbors in concert with whoever the landowner/lesse might be, not picking a fight with them.

Comment

• First I would like to thank all of you who private messaged me with your support of my comments.

I live in Landers and run Rattlesnake with my family in my jeep about two times per month and I have been doing this for years. I obey all BLM rules and have a great time. I have had to contact the BLM after being cursed at in front of my family for driving through the canyon after dark. Several times the "Rancher" cursed and yelled at me for driving through. The fact is the Rancher does not want any offroders on his lease period. He has made this clear to many jeepers and local offroaders. My only point is we have every right to use this public land and I have had many talks to the local BLM Field Ranger Kevin and Anthony in the Barstow Office about my encounters and was assured I was ok to drive through. The reason I started posting, is there is no reason to spread false rumors about whats really going on in rattlesnake canyon. My wife and two children did nothing wrong to be yelled at. I have nothing to gain by posting. But the Rancher wants us out period. Ask the locals.

Comment

• If you know him that well I guess you're the authority on this, but like I said, post links to your facts or keep 'em to yourself. There are some on this forum who may not know him as well as you, but still don't see him in the light you're portraying him in. I do agree with you as far as us having a right to be there. No doubt about that. But he has a right to proctect his property; it's a very narrow fence we're all balanced on...
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• I guess these comments get to stay :dunno: The post above have said nothing more than mine did.

As stated before, there is 3 sides to every story. Statesoffroad is only giving his side. Just because he doesn't agree with the majority, doesn't mean his statement isn't factual. It's just an experience he had.

Thanks for posting and WELCOME!

Comment

Working...
                                X