Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went for a run up Rattlesnake this afternoon. Found some guys driving a red Chevy or GMC pickup that were removing the larger rocks and smoothing the trail out.

I did the whole trail in 2wd in my stock TJ. No locking axles and still have the sway bars hooked up.

Comment

Chris,

Did you make put rocks back on the trail? Too funny. I'm sure you had a nice day out there. One of my favorites.

Mitch

Comment

Thanks guys and gals for your support as well. Try to get people to put in their email addresses - that way if something big happens, changes, or there are additional issues, we can get the word out very quickly! I'll get some maps and stuff up this week.
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

P.S. We're already 4th in Google!

Comment

I was number 7 on the feedburner list.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
              P.S. We're already 4th in Google!
              [COLOR="Sienna"]This must mean something special in Geek world...[/COLOR]
              [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
              Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                [COLOR="Sienna"]This must mean something special in Geek world...[/COLOR]
                It means people can find it simply by typing in the trail name

Comment

This thread, and all of the "spreading the word" about Rattlesnake cyn going on in the other forums will most likely increase the traffic in Rattlesnake Cyn by tenfold. Not to mention the fun offshoot cyns in RS.

Is this really what you all wanted? Not me.

I am just wondering if spreading the word, and putting up more signs is really helping the trail situation, or doing more harm than good.

Comment

Originally posted by 100dollarman View Post
                    This thread, and all of the "spreading the word" about Rattlesnake cyn going on in the other forums will most likely increase the traffic in Rattlesnake Cyn by tenfold. Not to mention the fun offshoot cyns in RS.

I am just wondering if spreading the word, and putting up more signs is really helping the trail situation, or doing more harm than good.
                    Sometimes good intentions bring bad out comes. Worse case, a few pack leaders can put on an orange light, and slap security on the jeep and patrol.

Comment

• Originally posted by 100dollarman View Post

[COLOR="Sienna"]Well the alternative, doing nothing, was certainly not working. It's not a 'secret' or 'private' trail, as much as some would like it to be.
                      And increase in traffic isn't necessarily a bad thing. An increase in harm due to ignorance is what's being addressed here I believe.
                      The most anyone can do, is try to put the word out and ask/beg/plead with our fellow OHV users to grow up and be responsible. If they choose not to do that, then we'll watch our lands go the way of Michigan. I challenge you to find decent off-road on public lands there. It's gone, almost completely.
                      Just like any kids, if you can't play nice with your toys, they'll be taken away.[/COLOR]
                      Last edited by USMC 0369; 09-28-09, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                        [COLOR="Sienna"]Well the alternative, doing nothing, was certainly not working. It's not a 'secret' or 'private' trail, as much as some would like it to be.
                        And increase in traffic isn't necessarily a bad thing. An increase in harm due to ignorance is what's being addressed here I believe.
                        The most anyone can do, is try to put the word out and ask/beg/plead with our fellow OHV users to grow up and be responsible. If they choose not to do that, then we'll watch our lands go the way of Michigan. I challenge you to find decent off-road on public lands there. It's gone, almost completely.
                        Just like any kids, if you can't play nice with your toys, they'll be taken away.[/COLOR]
                        My thought is it's the locals. Look how Hesperia PD shut down the quads from riding by the 15fwy, and Apple Valley PD shut down the 15fwy and Dale Evans. I think the OP of this thread said it's jeeps and quads. Quads tell me, it might be locals. Most people who come from out of the area ride at JV. Right by there. It's legal there. So, I will have to assume it's locals in Lucerne Valley and the rest of the areas.

I also think most people in forums answer to each other on how to act and what not. So, maybe handing out some flyers to Valero gas station, etc would be better for the locals to read as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                          ... Quads tell me, it might be locals. Most people who come from out of the area ride at JV. Right by there. It's legal there. So, I will have to assume it's locals in Lucerne Valley and the rest of the areas.
                          [COLOR="Sienna"]That could be very true. Also remember Landers, Yucca Valley, Palm Springs, etc. We don't hear a lot about Johnson Valley out this way. Only when it's abused does it make it on the airwaves.[/COLOR]

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                          I also think most people in forums answer to each other on how to act and what not. So, maybe handing out some flyers to Valero gas station, etc would be better for the locals to read as well.
                          [COLOR="sienna"]Perhaps an editorial blurb in the local papers? (just spitballing ideas) I think the idea behind the signs was to get the information out at the source. Problem that I see is getting the signs into all the entrances and somehow keeping them from becoming targets for (again) 'irresponsible' people with guns. I was a little more than irritated to see the sign at Means Dry Lake shot all to hell.[/COLOR]

Comment

• I like this sign:
                            Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                            Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                            HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

• We all know RSC is not a secret trail. I have been going there since the 1970s.

I am just wondering if the increased travel in Rattlesnake canyon caused by "spreading the word" will bring more problems than we had before.

I think 99% (maybe not literally 99%) of offroaders already know not to speed pass a 15MPH sign, and to be respectful of the livestock. There will always be that 1% that are "ignorant" even after reading the info.

Dont get me wrong-- I am ALL FOR keeping a trail open!

I am just saying that we have 1 bad apple out of 100 Jeepers now---- we will most likely have more bad apples (more problems in RSC) as traffic increases.

Please correct me if my math is wrong.

Also- please know that I mean no disrespect to anyone trying to help our trail situation.

Its just that I am not sure that all of the added publicity for the trail is best in the long run. (I HOPE it is!)

Just my thoughts!

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                                [COLOR="Sienna"]That could be very true. Also remember Landers, Yucca Valley, Palm Springs, etc. We don't hear a lot about Johnson Valley out this way. Only when it's abused does it make it on the airwaves.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="sienna"]Perhaps an editorial blurb in the local papers? (just spitballing ideas) I think the idea behind the signs was to get the information out at the source. Problem that I see is getting the signs into all the entrances and somehow keeping them from becoming targets for (again) 'irresponsible' people with guns. I was a little more than irritated to see the sign at Means Dry Lake shot all to hell.[/COLOR]
                                Yep! I agree. I think the pitch to the local owners at gas stations is if it's shut down that's less traffic for them for gas, etc. So, let us put up some flyers by the register to get the word out. I know some local papers who would put it in there for free just for the cause.

Comment

Working...
                                X