This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems in Rattlesnake Canyon

Since I live the closest to Rattlesnake Canyon and probably been wheeling through it longer than most, I'm very attached to it.

Mitch had indicated that the gentleman with the grazing rights to the area has been having some problems with off roaders. He was very frendly to the group, but he has some real concerns about rigs speeding through his leasehold. Even to the point of injuring his cattle. This is his livelyhood.

Here is what I propose be done:

1. Get on every off-road webside you are a member of and post up about this problem and ask the forum members to pass it on to drive slowley and respect his rights.

2. I am willing to head up having a sign professionally made that we could erect before the entrance to his property. Of course I would talk with him first about it.

I'm totally open as to what the sign should say, so here's a start:

Notice to Off Roaders
    Please drive slowly
    You are entering leased grazing land.
    Do not disturb the cattle and watch for them
    Please respect the leaseholders rights
    Thank you,
    MyJeepRocks.com

I will get a quote from a professional sign company I work with in Victorville and let the forum know what the cost would be.

If 20 members could donate $10.00 each that would probably cover the cost of the sign. Again, If enough people will post up and sy they are interested in this project, I'll get started.

We could have a sign erecting party, a run up Rattlesnake Canyon and maybe a BBQ to follow.

It would be nice to prevent closure for once.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Rodger, you're a hell of a nice guy. Put me down for a ten spot.

Comment

OK put me down Roger.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

same here

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]I had the same thought when I heard the comments. I'll do 10 also.
          I'll also post this on some other local forums, and have them pass the word. Thanks Roger.
          mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Keep me posted. I think it's a great idea!

Comment

[CENTER]Notice
              Drive Slowly!
              Private Grazing Land
              Slow Down, Minimize Dust
              or This Trail Closes!
              Thank you

MyJeepRocks.com[/CENTER]
              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

If you plan on doing a campaign to get the word out, make sure you hit the motorcycle and atv sites. Billy has told me on many occasions that the bikers ride through there and atually chase the cattle. The first time I met him he was Po'd pretty bad. A group of Jeeps had come tearing through his property, and shortly after the bikes came through and scared his cattle off. He was in the process of rounding them up when I came across him. Just my luck. But Billy is a VERY nice man considering what he's dealing with. I don't how much good a sign is going to do, but it certainly can't hurt. I think he'll appreciate the effort.
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Im in Roger
                  1999 [color=red]Jeep[/color] Cherokee Sport 4X4 4DR
                  1999 [color=white]Jeep[/color] Cherokee Sport 4X4 2DR DD

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                    If you plan on doing a campaign to get the word out, make sure you hit the motorcycle and atv sites. Billy has told me on many occasions that the bikers ride through there and atually chase the cattle. The first time I met him he was Po'd pretty bad. A group of Jeeps had come tearing through his property, and shortly after the bikes came through and scared his cattle off. He was in the process of rounding them up when I came across him. Just my luck. But Billy is a VERY nice man considering what he's dealing with. I don't how much good a sign is going to do, but it certainly can't hurt. I think he'll appreciate the effort.
                    [COLOR="Blue"]Maybe coming from the 4x community and tactfully stated may help the off-roaders to comply. Can't hurt.
                    mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Great posts everyone.

I'd like to see our moderators bless this endeavor since we're doing this via the MJR Forum.
                      MJR moderator
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

I would contribute $ 10 as well... Just let me know when to send it and to whom....

Comment

count me in roger , but like mitch said there are signs posted out there saying speed 15mph and the road runs right by there watering and feed bins scaring the cattle away from their water , before we jump on the sign idea maybe we can put our heads together and come up with something that would help him out

Comment

I know you all have good intentions, but dont you think if the property owner wanted more signs that he would put some up?

I have met him several times over the years (been here since 1975)and he is a nice guy. We as Jeepers should show respect to his property and cattle (and 99 out of 100 do).

No disrespect to the members here trying to help, but I for one think we have enough signs.

Thanks for letting me voice my 2 cents!

Comment

Mark & Steve,

I understand your feelings. I think of the sign as an education tool. I think most people that come to the desert to ride just don't understand that it's not a big empty place they can rip through without affecting others. Carefully worded non-confrontational, and a well placed sign may help in teaching them.

Steve - let's look at other ideas. Do you have anything in mind?

Also, most of you belong to other forums, let's get the word out.

In the mean time, I'll try to catch up with the Rancher and have a talk with him.
                              MJR moderator
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                              X