Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
    You never cut a crawler sidewall so it seems to me the procomps didnt last as long as the crawlers.I have heard and read nothing but great things about the km'2s and In fact the same materials and technology from the crawlers are built in the km2's. I am more than happy with the great deal I got.
    I do need to clarify here, though, since the original post I had containing this info was deleted:

KM2's are NOT Krawlers. They are plain old BFG MT carcasses with Krawler-like tread on them. The compound is a little different than the previous MT, but the carcass is the same. The biggest issue for the BFG MT has ALWAYS been the weak sidewall, which was fixed in the Krawler. For those same reasons, though, the Krawlers do not make good street tires, because they are HEAVY.

That said, the BFG MT and KM2 are FINE tires, and for many people will give great performance. If you take them in the rocks a lot, you will eventually cut tires. That's just how they work.
    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
      I put 35's on a 10" wheel I hope I didnt make a mistake. Well see how they behave when I air them down. I like the 4" offset it really makes the jeep have a wider stance. look how much they stick out.
      My experience with 10" wheels and 35's was that I popped a lot of beads. Make sure you have some sort of good OBA system (Power Tank or Kilby).

The offset is nice. You'll eat up unit bearings faster, but it's not a huge issue. Mine lasted 50K miles like that.
      '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

That what I was worried about. I will have to play with the air pressure to figure how low I can go. If it becomes a problem I might have to get some narrower wheels. I usually dont go below 10#'s of air pressure anyway.

Comment

At 12 psi the beads seem to stay put just fine.
          They do for me and did the same for Steve.

Comment

12 psi is a great pressure for maintaining the bead, but it compromises traction. You really have to get under 10 PSI to see any real benefit. In deep sand, you have to go even lower.

I have played with all kinds of pressures to find the "sweet spot", and it always winds up being 8 PSI.

Comment

I know that, had beadlocks before these rims and ran at 8psi most of the time. In Moab I ran my shoes at 10 psi and they stayed put also no slipping on the rim.
              When it becomes a issue we can always take measures to stop it from happening again

Comment

I have a friend that puts rubber cement on the inside of his beads. It seems to work well, but it makes it really hard to change tires.

I have also seen people who drill holes through the side of the bead rim and run small wood screws into the bead of the tire. I know drag racers do this. I don't know how they would hold up to the punishment of full-time wheeling, though.

Comment

One last question in this thread...

Does anyone have any experience with Hankook Tires? I can get a pretty good price on Hankook DynaPro MT RT03 but have no experience with Hankook tires nor do I know anyone who has run with them... Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
                  Regards,
                  Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

In the all-terrain world, the Hankook Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10's are pretty well regarded tires, but I'm unfamilar with the RT03's

Here is a head to head comparison test including the RF10, BFG AT's, and Toyo Open County AT's: http://www.4x4tirereview.com/ATcomparotest.html
                    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

My first run on my tires impressed me It definatly seemed easier to go over the rocks but that might of been the increased tire size. I put the 35 on a 10 inch wheel and had no problems with popping a bead and tires had alot of flex at 11 psi. Even in the rain they seemed to do an ecellent job of grabing the rocks. Other than high centering on my skid a couple of times I had no problems going where I wanted. 1 compliant though I noticed they are not incorporating the rim protector on the MT tire anymore WTF! they had it on the MT KM"s. I got some nice beauty marks in my new wheels first time out. Thats ok its not a show peice.

Comment

Originally posted by mybrokenjeep View Post
                        My question isn't about the width of the wheel, but to ask your opinions on the various tires and manufacturers out there...

I am going from 33's to 35's... I want the BFG KM2 but am being told by everyone that they are on backorder width a minimum of a 3 month wait... I need 15"...

So, I am considering these other brands... Please chime in with your opinion on these manufacturers... Any good and especially bad experiences you have had with any of these would be much appreciated...

I am considering:
                        BFG KM2 (but as I mentioned they are on backorder)
                        Pro Comp Mud Terrain http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Pro...&t_pn=PCT25035
                        Pro Comp XTerrain http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Pro...&t_pn=PCT35035
                        Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrain http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Pro...&t_pn=PCT65035
                        Mickey Thompson MTZ http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Mic...t_pn=M%2fT5254
                        Mickey Thompson Baja Claw http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Mic...t_pn=M%2fT5756
                        Kumho Road Venture MT http://www.kumhousa.com/Tire.aspx?id=49&cat=25
                        Remington Mud Brute http://www.remingtontire.us/Pages%20II/lightruck.html
                        Hankook Dyno Pro MT http://www.hankooktireusa.com/produc...il.asp?pid=358
                        You guys have forgotten more about this stuff than I think I will ever learn... I appreciate and value your input.

I have these on my Avalance 285/70/17 (33"). They are a VERY quiet tire. I use the truck as my daily driver. No issues. I would buy them again!

Comment

My new KM2's...

So, I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. Your knowledge, opinions, and sharing helped me a great deal in making my decision. Thank you!

Here is the "MyBrokenJeep" with the 33's...

And Here it is with the 35's...

Regards,
                          Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

Looks good Randy I am sure you and I made the right choice and for the price I know I did.

Comment

Looks good Randy. Just curious. Did you have wheel spacers?
                              Check out .

Comment

well I have to say
                                it has been 6 months on the km2s, wow what a tire
                                never would have believed That a BFG could be this good.
                                We camped with some guys last year at hump and bump and they told me about the tire. Well right before Cal4x4 convention I decided to check them out as my beloved MT Baja Claws were soon to be toast and we were going drive the TJ. Well on road the were great, and that is 1000% better than the BCs. But we went wheeling in the snow at convention. We were on the Presidents run when I was approached and asked how much I liked them, well so far I commented they were great in snow and on the road, so on the way down we found a huge mud pit, Hey these things are great in deep Mohave mud. But I guess the acid test came last month during the ATT day, while participating in tractor pull rock crawling, trust me you had to have been there, these tires got my final nod of approval, they rock, they mud, they snow, and they road great.
                                censored for having an opinion

Comment

Working...
                                X